Jeg's Reviews | Glassdoor

1.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward Coughlin

"Sales"

Pros

Like minded automotive enthusiasts and great parts discounts

Cons

Management makes decisions that do not help employee morale

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees as they take care of your business

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive is that there are many other choices for unemployment because the unemployment rate is at very low levels.

Cons

Oppressive atmosphere, very high employee turnover, low loyalty, little training, no development, short term mentality, uses the business to fund racing activities.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look in the mirror and decide what type of legacy you want to leave. Do you want to live for the short term or invest for the long term.

"Becareful and read reviews prior to joining their team"

Former Employee - Management in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Management in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros that I can think of. Weekly pay checks, climate controlled facility and benefits are decent compared to the market.

Cons

Where should I start? Heavy turnover at all levels including a revolving door at the Director level, multiple Ops Managers and Supervisors in the last 18 months. Most to my knowledge were asked to leave by upper management/owners. Long hours and extra days for the past year or more. Short notice for mandatory OT including texting you at home while with your family for the OT. Current management yells and treats hourly staff poorly some even sexually harass the young women which seems to be normal through upper levels as well. Many upper management talk negative about hourly team members and salary team members as well sometimes daily. But if you're a young skinny female they will look for you everyday and say hi. The tenure warehouse management staff has been hiding problems for years and now that the new management has poked at these issues they are being asked to leave. Want to verify this ask about AP adjustments and which report do they show up on? None as an 11K motor was AP'd and no one even knows about it. No physical inventory for over a decade, smaller active pick locations, receiving product in each instead of master packs who does this? Let me wrap up by saying if the management turnover isn't enough to scare you away with a relatively small family owned business remember the same folks interviewing you next are the same which interviewed the last 8-10 management team members which they also fired.

Advice to Management

Order in master packs. Have some of the salary workers in the support departments work Saturdays/Sundays since they are creating some of the problems and they are salary and free to the bottom line. Also seeing the leaders work a Saturday and I mean work help receive, pick orders or assist with inventory would help.

"Jegs"

Pros

The pay was ok, but not great

Cons

Constant overtime and complete lack of people

"Micromanaged to Death"

I worked at Jeg's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facility even though the employer can't be bothered to provide free coffee for employees

Great for racing fans

Cons

Cold, sterile workplace where the owners' cheapness is seen in a big brother type of environment where every penny is watched.

Employees are defensive and fearful

Also, don't bother giving notice. Your courtesy is rewarded by being escorted out the door without pay

Advice to Management

Grow a heart. Your employees got you were you are. Don't just give lip service to the concept

"If you want respect, you don't want JEGS."

Pros

Full-time employees get discounts on select items in the catalog; Quiet work environment; Clean facility, in general; Attentive help desk when computer issues occur

Cons

Owners (all brothers, sons of company founder) micromanage the company to a ridiculous degree. Many rules seem to be made up on a whim and are not upheld for employees with greater seniority, but are used to discriminate against newer employees. There are 'cliques' within the organization that are hard to get into without a LOT of brown-nosing. Regular employees are expected to work 9 hour days without paid breaks. The actual work is tedious and repetitive. Business processes are decades old and have not been modernized (this means a lot of manual paperwork).

JEGS features a false chain-of-command structure - many of the employees with seniority will go around their superiors to discuss issues directly with the owners of the company, and this behavior seems to be allowed, if not preferred. This creates a somewhat HOSTILE and UNTRUSTING work environment where people do not feel free to discuss anything with fellow coworkers, for fear of a backlash. Many employees are constantly "watching their backs" due to the culture/environment at JEGS. There is a high turnover rate at JEGS, because of this.

The "status quo" is not working. Currently the organization has no visible 1, 5, or 10-year plan, and, as such, doesn't seem to have much of a future.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing employees with seniority to run the organization, and have some faith in your upper management. If you don't start respecting all of your employees, you will not last another 50 years. The industry is changing, but you are not keeping up with those changes. You need to figure out how to adapt and make educated decisions based on where you want to be in the future.

"Sales"

I worked at Jeg's full-time

Pros

I worked out of the Delaware location. Pay is good. Its casual wear so jeans are acceptable. Alot of OT during racing season.

Cons

If you are not a part of the "clicks" then you will be treated horribly. Management is never behind you, always had to keep documentation to cover my butt. I can remember I had an issue with my computer so I emailed our IT dept and I received a nasty email telling me that my issue is petty and that I needed to to my supervisor. In the beginning..you are treated like gold, bout 7 months in, if you make a mistake..you will get some nasty emails from accounting. Also we had to do verfication on high dollar orders with banks and I can remember i wasnt trained in that and when I transferred the call, i was told by our "verfication team" that i had to do it.! Needless to say, i got in trouble for it. If you ever have a problem with anyone at work..do not trust management to fix it, it will always backfire on you. Dont trust anyone...someone is always watching and listening!

Advice to Management

Actually care bout your employees..Give them incentives to want to come to work everyday. Give out freebies to employees who had great customer service, or got the highest amt of sales etc..Try to figure out how to make employees stay instead of letting them go once they put their 2 weeks notice in.

"Family owned company, not family friendly unless you're in their circle."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Jeg's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jegs has decent pay, decent health benefits, and lots of overtime during spring, summer, fall. Co workers are pretty cool, the ones who stay. The Delaware location is very nice, and clean. The 11th Ave. Location is in a shady area, but supervisors will walk you outside and make sure you get to your car.

Cons

Low morale during the overtime/busy season we constantly get thanked for our overtime but that's it, no little freebies like movie/zoo tickets or anything. We get a flyer for discounted zoo/zoombezi bay and zoo lights tickets,but it would be more appreciated to actually see something from them while working long hours. We got to hear how one of the Coughlin guys took a whole year off racing to spend with his new daughter, meanwhile a female employee had to return to work 6 weeks after giving birth. Managers/supervisors are intimidating unless you've been there 20+ years and know their personalities. They use the points system for call offs which is nice, but points take 1 year to fall off, also they do not accept doctors notes, nor do they group the points-like if you call off 3 days in a row, you get 3 points. No vacation/sick time your first year there. High turnover rate, they're constantly hiring because employees are constantly quitting. An employee who just finished 21 years there recently put in his 2 weeks notice, and Jegs let him go.
    Supervisors constantly back up what the customer says and doesn't defend the employee at all.
    The jegs 11th ave building sucks. There is absolutely no way a person in a wheelchair could work there-the only way into the work building is up steps, the only way into the call center is up steps, and in the women's bathroom there are only 2 stalls, 1 sink, and neither stall nor the bathroom is handicap accessible; I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit about this yet.

Advice to Management

Better vacation/holiday time. Offer morale boosters i.e. after a certain amount of overtime worked, a point falls off, or have a goal for someone in each department win a little freebie, like in order entry, the person who takes the most sales calls in a week gets a couple movie tickets, the person in tech who had the least percentage of returns gets a freebie, the person in customer service who get a customer compliment gets a freebie... talk to the employees, be open to ideas or suggestions.

"STAY AWAY!"

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean restrooms, nice building, I am into motorsports so that made it more exciting.

Cons

Worked there for 5 months. After starting my boss didn't talk to me for 3 and a half days not even a hello, nice to meet you, NO acknowledgement of my existance. Don't voice your opinion, especially to the good old boys and owners. Owners have no idea what they are doing and will turn on you in an instant and when they do you better cover your hiney! Your days are numbered at that point. Make you work 9 hours a day on salary (7am to 5pm). They let me go 2 days before I was eligible for unemployment. hmmmmmm. Too much to put on here.

Advice to Management

Owners need to leave.

"The worst experience of my professional life."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The building was new, and the computers were new. If you ever needed a new mouse or any other piece of equipment it was ordered , no questions asked.

Cons

Where do I start? First a bit of background:

I was brought in as a full time, perminant employee in their corporate office (to not be too specific). Aka I was not in the shipping area or call center. I was brought in to produce work for them that would help sell their products to customers. I was hired to do said projects on my own, but later found out they hired another person to help the company out as well.

My manager did his best to protect us from the owners and upper management, to be fair. In fact he almost lost his job doing so on two occasions. The company is run by a handful of brothers who inherited the family company from their aging father. The business experience of these brothers combined would make a typical college grad look like a bloody genius in comparison. They refuse any ideas from anyone, despite their lack of business experience, and just want worker drones to obey their orders. Even if its to help them walk the company off the side of a cliff. Standing up to these "men" is what almost got my boss fired.

But enough about him. I was brought in from another stable job to work at Jegs in 2013. I was drawn in by an increase in salary, and I wish I was never drawn in by the proposal.

They asked for the impossible. Our small group worked tirelessly to meet some of the most ridulous deadlines I've ever seen, and I've worked with fortune 500 companies who have high demands. It didn't help that our manager was fighting too many PR battles with the owners to help work on the projects along side us.

The owners and upper management seem very friendly at first. My first week there I thought I'd hit a gold mine of a company. But that quickly changed once you were warned by fellow co workers it was all fake. They're all two faced, and I didn't believe it until it was too late. Half my department was looking for new employment. The worst part of the company was the constant rumors spread around, which sadly most were true. Every time you heard a ridiculous rumbling about one of the owners, you'd see it happen before your eyes the next week. The one in charge of our department was addicted to drugs. This is the level of crazy we're talking about!

Despite these impossible deadlines, somehow my team pulled through. Much to the satisfaction of my manager, we completed three major projects in succession while meeting out deadlines and data requirements.

To put it modestly I was very proud. Despite the crazy rollercoaster of rumors, deadlines, and odd management decisions, we made it! Or so I thought.

This is when the brothers thought it would be wise to undercut Summit Racing, the Walmart sized titan of the industry. Instead of offering free shipping on orders a hundred dollars and up, they simply offered free shipping on everything. Their lack of common sense showing, they didn't seem to realize that customers would stop buying parts in bulk, and they immediately started losing massive amounts of money. You see, if you sell a two dollar wrench and offer free ten dollar shipping, you're out eight bucks. Take that times a few hundred thousand and you get the picture.

Instead of going back to standard shipping rates, they decided to cut the labor force. Despite the fact the other worker that was hired AFTER me never attended a single racing event, nor worked on any of the major projects that were the bulk of our production, they kept that person and laid me off only a few measle months into my tenure because my bosses boss thought she "would fit better". In reality I knew that person made ten thousand less than me. It was all about the dollar.

I loved the job and dedicated myself to the company, even when it was clear the company wasnt what was advertised. What followed my swift departure was the darkest period of my life. It was the first (and pray only) time id ever been in unemeployent in my 8 years of work in my field. We had to sell our house, and were lucky enough to barely slip through before caving completely into poverty by finding another position out of state, with a company that's run like a NORMAL place, with smart people making the business decisions, and making sure everyone has secure employment.

I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. I wouldnt recommend this place even to someone desperate for work. This place makes those lucky enough to float under the radar for years on end need to take medication to cope with the pressure and the bull, and those new only happy until their positions are determined to be expendible to make up for terrible business decisions.

Ironically, they still offer free shipping. Despite the company sinking, they refuse to change their ways and admit they made a bad decision. They'll be bankrupt before you know it. And considering how many shopping trips their wives go on every week around the globe, it'll be sooner than you think.

Advice to Management

Bring in people who know what they're doing, and if not, if you mess up, take it out of your own salaries instead of laying off the best wormers your company has ever been blessed with.

I only feel sorry for my feelow coworkers who suffered along side me. I hope they all got out and\or found work after getting thrown out the door.

STAY AWAY.