Jeg's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.5
John Coughlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"if you love cars - careful what you wish for"

I worked at Jeg's full-time

Pros

if you love cars and racing - JEGS is great.
    pay is market fair
    building / workplace is well kept

Cons

* management style is oppressive / demanding / overbearing
    * you best ID the lay of the land fast - work the deal and quickly think through the next 5 question - answers before they're asked, because they will be - and you better have the "right" answer.
    * worst IT and key data access system I've ever encountered in business, it's dreadful, makes for longer than needed hours to do the job and makes everything difficult.
    * mgmt communication is challenging. you can be an expert or a pro doing the work, but mgmt always knows better.
    *stifling micromanagement.

Advice to Management

treat your employees like the key components they are that makes your business successful, there are some truly terrific people working there but would leave at the first chance to move on. fix the archaic and dysfunctional data processing system - it's unimaginable that it exists. listen to your people. don't micromanage people that have proven they are capable and know how to do their job, it's suffocating.

2. "The worst"

Former Employee - AP/Customer Service in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - AP/Customer Service in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is on par and even more with similar jobs in area.

Cons

Micromanagement, no breaks, archaic accounting.

Advice to Management

Look into best practices and how to stop turn-over.

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive is that there are many other choices for unemployment because the unemployment rate is at very low levels.

Cons

Oppressive atmosphere, very high employee turnover, low loyalty, little training, no development, short term mentality, uses the business to fund racing activities.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look in the mirror and decide what type of legacy you want to leave. Do you want to live for the short term or invest for the long term.

"Becareful and read reviews prior to joining their team"

Former Employee - Management in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Management in Delaware, OH

I worked at Jeg's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros that I can think of. Weekly pay checks, climate controlled facility and benefits are decent compared to the market.

Cons

Where should I start? Heavy turnover at all levels including a revolving door at the Director level, multiple Ops Managers and Supervisors in the last 18 months. Most to my knowledge were asked to leave by upper management/owners. Long hours and extra days for the past year or more. Short notice for mandatory OT including texting you at home while with your family for the OT. Current management yells and treats hourly staff poorly some even sexually harass the young women which seems to be normal through upper levels as well. Many upper management talk negative about hourly team members and salary team members as well sometimes daily. But if you're a young skinny female they will look for you everyday and say hi. The tenure warehouse management staff has been hiding problems for years and now that the new management has poked at these issues they are being asked to leave. Want to verify this ask about AP adjustments and which report do they show up on? None as an 11K motor was AP'd and no one even knows about it. No physical inventory for over a decade, smaller active pick locations, receiving product in each instead of master packs who does this? Let me wrap up by saying if the management turnover isn't enough to scare you away with a relatively small family owned business remember the same folks interviewing you next are the same which interviewed the last 8-10 management team members which they also fired.

Advice to Management

Order in master packs. Have some of the salary workers in the support departments work Saturdays/Sundays since they are creating some of the problems and they are salary and free to the bottom line. Also seeing the leaders work a Saturday and I mean work help receive, pick orders or assist with inventory would help.

"Jegs"

Pros

The pay was ok, but not great

Cons

Constant overtime and complete lack of people

"Micromanaged to Death"

I worked at Jeg's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facility even though the employer can't be bothered to provide free coffee for employees

Great for racing fans

Cons

Cold, sterile workplace where the owners' cheapness is seen in a big brother type of environment where every penny is watched.

Employees are defensive and fearful

Also, don't bother giving notice. Your courtesy is rewarded by being escorted out the door without pay

Advice to Management

Grow a heart. Your employees got you were you are. Don't just give lip service to the concept

"If you want respect, you don't want JEGS."

Pros

Full-time employees get discounts on select items in the catalog; Quiet work environment; Clean facility, in general; Attentive help desk when computer issues occur

Cons

Owners (all brothers, sons of company founder) micromanage the company to a ridiculous degree. Many rules seem to be made up on a whim and are not upheld for employees with greater seniority, but are used to discriminate against newer employees. There are 'cliques' within the organization that are hard to get into without a LOT of brown-nosing. Regular employees are expected to work 9 hour days without paid breaks. The actual work is tedious and repetitive. Business processes are decades old and have not been modernized (this means a lot of manual paperwork).

JEGS features a false chain-of-command structure - many of the employees with seniority will go around their superiors to discuss issues directly with the owners of the company, and this behavior seems to be allowed, if not preferred. This creates a somewhat HOSTILE and UNTRUSTING work environment where people do not feel free to discuss anything with fellow coworkers, for fear of a backlash. Many employees are constantly "watching their backs" due to the culture/environment at JEGS. There is a high turnover rate at JEGS, because of this.

The "status quo" is not working. Currently the organization has no visible 1, 5, or 10-year plan, and, as such, doesn't seem to have much of a future.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing employees with seniority to run the organization, and have some faith in your upper management. If you don't start respecting all of your employees, you will not last another 50 years. The industry is changing, but you are not keeping up with those changes. You need to figure out how to adapt and make educated decisions based on where you want to be in the future.

"Sales"

Pros

Like minded automotive enthusiasts and great parts discounts

Cons

Management makes decisions that do not help employee morale

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees as they take care of your business

"Sales"

I worked at Jeg's full-time

Pros

I worked out of the Delaware location. Pay is good. Its casual wear so jeans are acceptable. Alot of OT during racing season.

Cons

If you are not a part of the "clicks" then you will be treated horribly. Management is never behind you, always had to keep documentation to cover my butt. I can remember I had an issue with my computer so I emailed our IT dept and I received a nasty email telling me that my issue is petty and that I needed to to my supervisor. In the beginning..you are treated like gold, bout 7 months in, if you make a mistake..you will get some nasty emails from accounting. Also we had to do verfication on high dollar orders with banks and I can remember i wasnt trained in that and when I transferred the call, i was told by our "verfication team" that i had to do it.! Needless to say, i got in trouble for it. If you ever have a problem with anyone at work..do not trust management to fix it, it will always backfire on you. Dont trust anyone...someone is always watching and listening!

Advice to Management

Actually care bout your employees..Give them incentives to want to come to work everyday. Give out freebies to employees who had great customer service, or got the highest amt of sales etc..Try to figure out how to make employees stay instead of letting them go once they put their 2 weeks notice in.

"Family owned company, not family friendly unless you're in their circle."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Jeg's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jegs has decent pay, decent health benefits, and lots of overtime during spring, summer, fall. Co workers are pretty cool, the ones who stay. The Delaware location is very nice, and clean. The 11th Ave. Location is in a shady area, but supervisors will walk you outside and make sure you get to your car.

Cons

Low morale during the overtime/busy season we constantly get thanked for our overtime but that's it, no little freebies like movie/zoo tickets or anything. We get a flyer for discounted zoo/zoombezi bay and zoo lights tickets,but it would be more appreciated to actually see something from them while working long hours. We got to hear how one of the Coughlin guys took a whole year off racing to spend with his new daughter, meanwhile a female employee had to return to work 6 weeks after giving birth. Managers/supervisors are intimidating unless you've been there 20+ years and know their personalities. They use the points system for call offs which is nice, but points take 1 year to fall off, also they do not accept doctors notes, nor do they group the points-like if you call off 3 days in a row, you get 3 points. No vacation/sick time your first year there. High turnover rate, they're constantly hiring because employees are constantly quitting. An employee who just finished 21 years there recently put in his 2 weeks notice, and Jegs let him go.
    Supervisors constantly back up what the customer says and doesn't defend the employee at all.
    The jegs 11th ave building sucks. There is absolutely no way a person in a wheelchair could work there-the only way into the work building is up steps, the only way into the call center is up steps, and in the women's bathroom there are only 2 stalls, 1 sink, and neither stall nor the bathroom is handicap accessible; I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit about this yet.

Advice to Management

Better vacation/holiday time. Offer morale boosters i.e. after a certain amount of overtime worked, a point falls off, or have a goal for someone in each department win a little freebie, like in order entry, the person who takes the most sales calls in a week gets a couple movie tickets, the person in tech who had the least percentage of returns gets a freebie, the person in customer service who get a customer compliment gets a freebie... talk to the employees, be open to ideas or suggestions.