Jelly Belly Candy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Herman G. Rowland Sr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great depending where you work"

I worked at Jelly Belly Candy full-time

Pros

- For the most part everyone in the corporate office was great to work with from all levels of management
    - Small corporate office so you'll know everyone on a first name basis. Its a family run company so you will also get to know the higher ups like the Chairman and CEO
    - Health benefits (no vision), bonus, discount for local gym, 401k after one year of employment
    - Paid weekly

Cons

- Certain departments are not run very well, and turnover is high. I've personally seen many people, including tenured upper level individuals, leave during my time there
    - If you are paid by the hour and need to clock in/out, you will be hounded for being a minute late even if you have a good reason or it was not in your control. I didn't experience this but it's extremely inconvenient for those who have kids or commute a distance here
    - Low pay
    - NOT a place to stay for young people. The company is very old school: boring cubicle life, clock in/out zombie mentality for those that aren't salaried, no snacks/lunches/activities as offered by many companies these days. The workforce is mostly middle aged , making it difficult to form bonds if you are young.
    - Located in Fairfield... dumpy and boring
    - Free candy is usually close to expired
    - It's a family run company that will most likely be headed by their kids and relatives

2. "Awful"

I worked at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked Herm. Good man. Purchasing Director was great too.

Cons

Remaining management lacks skill, education, motivation, VISION and drive. Especially marketing. Very old school.

Advice to Management

Fire the top tier. Including the daughter. Sorry, not fit for the job.

"Bad at scheduling"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Jelly Belly Candy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers fun pretty easy but can get boring

Cons

When ask for time off in enough time they still don't give it to you and make you use your call ins working for Nelson company was ridiculous stupidity over there

Advice to Management

When ask for certain time off you should give it to them

4. "Nice Family Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

Pros

Very nice family that cares about their employees welfare.

Cons

Too many calories with all those beans lying around!! ;-)

"Leaves a lot to be desired.."

Pros

The only pro is the free candy.

Cons

I worked here briefly in 2013 and almost all of their tour guides and cashiers were temps, and not directly employed by Jelly Belly. Like others have mentioned, they have a tendency to micromanage. Clock in a minute late, you get an "incident". Call in sick or leave early, incident. In my case, being in tour guide training and being shy in front of a 50 person crowd and forgetting to mention a few details, an incident. Management or HR doesn't like you? You're gone. If you are looking for a fun or fulfilling career, this isn't the place to come.

Advice to Management

Value your workers, or you will lose them.

"they were good to me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I worked at Jelly Belly Candy full-time

Pros

The insurance was super affordable (thanks Obama), there was a routine for everyone's position, you could easily be cross trained to do other things.

Cons

So many people don't do anything. If you are a hard worker out of the gate, get ready to have them all over you for the rest of your employment while other people literally do absolutely nothing.

Advice to Management

Enforce your rules and make everyone accountable

"Hourly Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jelly Belly is an outstanding company to work for. It is sad to read the blatant lies that former disgruntled employees have posted about Jelly Belly. Based on my own experience and that of my peers here, if you correctly do your job, you don't have any problems. It is as simple as that!

Again, from my personal experience and that of my peers, as long as an employee is performing as expected or above and beyond, they are eligible for a pay increase each year, financial prosperity of the company permitting . Employees who do not perform their work satisfactorily, or are toxic to the work environment are obviously not rewarded this way.

Great perks include: Each season employees are given a free CASE of candy (Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, and Christmas) Summer Picnic, Jeans days, Spirit week, random thank you lunches, pizza parties, potlucks, Christmas party, and yearly Christmas gift from the family to the employees.

Great 401K plan. The company contributes on your behalf whether or not you contribute on your own (extremely rare).The supportive family culture environment is second to none. It is rare to find this support or family environment in other corporate environments. Jelly Belly is an international company but still has the 'small company' feel and culture.

Twice a year the family meets with the employees and allows employees to ask any and all questions they may have about anything concerning the business, and the family responds. What other company gives their employees such opportunities to be heard and respond with such transparency? The family and executives truly care about each and every employee and listen to their concerns and suggestions. Many times, employees have asked for things to be changed and the family/management listens and changes them. Examples: profit sharing plan to 401K plan, time clock issue being too strict: establishment of a 5 minute grace period.

I cannot speak for every department, but in my department I have great bosses who I consider amazing mentors. I ask for more jobs/responsibilities and they give them to me or train me in new areas so I can widen my knowledge. They want you to be successful. Your career is what you make of it. If you take an active role in furthering your career you will not be disappointed.
    Jelly Belly is a great company with a wonderful work environment. However, people who have an entitled/poor attitude and work ethic would not do well here. Dedicated hard work is what is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

The time clock issue... I am an hourly employee and I punch the clock. Punching a time clock is not a complicated feat for people who know how to be punctual. If you are a habitually late person, obviously you will not do well. However, people are given plenty of warnings/chances before they are terminated based on punching the time clock alone. While punching a time clock can be a drag, it is necessary as not every position can be salary.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Keep listening to your employees, supporting them, and recognizing hard work and dedication.

8. "It is what it is"

Pros

Good team environment and atmosphere

Cons

There are issues with communication between certain areas of the company

"Director"

Pros

Solid management
    Family run company
    Fun brand to represent
    Stable company

Cons

Human resources views employees more as a liability than part of the family.

"jobs ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Jelly Belly Candy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Manager's work with you on scheduling. Can be cross trained in multiple area to gain experience and fill the resume.

Cons

Your just a number to HR. They will listen but no action is ever taken. Your life here depends on the time clock. You get more hours full time as a temp and part time if your hired on.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, help when you can.