Jennifer Convertibles Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Morris G. Zou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place where I was able to learn as well as teach all facets of running a business while sharing my experiences."

Former Employee - Showroom Manager in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Showroom Manager in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Jennifer Convertibles full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to find out who you are as a person and as a professional. Building relationships with clients, employees, and fellow management to push results forward.

Cons

It is a business that is wholly dependent on the economy. Results can fluctuate up or down without rhyme or reason some times.

Advice to Management

Try creating more ways of rewarding positive and even negative feedback in order to assess current trends and to adjust accordingly.

2. "so much room for improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Jennifer Convertibles (More than 10 years)

Pros

At some point during the day, your work is done, and you get to leave.

Cons

Very low pay. Virtually no benefits. No 401K. The least expensive health insurance plan, at the time I was working for them was 27% of my income. Long hours. Work nights, weekends, holidays. No personal life. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Give sales team more support for customer service issues. Customers can't access management above the store level, and sales people are left on the floor to argue customer service issues in front of other customers.

3. "Prime example of corporate greed."

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Bay Shore, NY
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Bay Shore, NY

I worked at Jennifer Convertibles (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pressure work environment, management set zero standards for competency.

Cons

Poor salary unless you're part the inner circle.
    Incompetent management, only concerns are for themselves.
    Management unwillingness to try new technologies.
    Upper management arrogance propagated throughout the company.

4. "store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Jennifer Convertibles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

store closes early, easy, nice customers

Cons

extremely low pay., barely any customers, boring

5. "Pretty Easy"

Pros

Enjoyable everyone was very nice.

Cons

I got off late a lot of the times even if I mentioned I needed to leave early.

6. "Design Consultant"

I have been working at Jennifer Convertibles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good range of quality products.

Cons

Low pay, base and commission.

7. "store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Jennifer Convertibles (More than 8 years)

Pros

good people and rewarding in sales

Cons

bussiness is slow,store close and move out of california

8. "Retail Purgatory"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Jennifer Convertibles full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Smaller stores, minimal wage plus commission and some bonuses, new management in company means more pressure for sales performance but FINALLY stores are getting updated equipment and new styles which make busy sales days easier. Still not as cutthroat as many other sales jobs. Nice people to work with. Good relations between stores.

Cons

As with most retail you work weekends and holidays. Dealing with ridiculously irate customers who freak out when they aren't home for delv etc.

Pay tied to sales is very unreliable...one month flush and the next scrambling to pay the utility bill. Not much room to advance as most stores have only a few employees. Once you're a Manager there is nowhere to go.

Benefits are not good. Health Insurance is so expensive that the average salesperson could not afford it. No real retirement benefits. 2 weeks paid vacation(just your base wage) after 1 year.

Customer service department is badly trained and unhelpful in resolving customers problems.

Advice to Management

Consider raising base wages tied to employee performance.
    Ask for feedback and opinions from local store managers(ie the people on the front lines) and LISTEN to their ideas.

9. "a slap in the face....."

I have been working at Jennifer Convertibles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay + bonus commission and that's only a partial pro.....

Cons

Where do I begin.... No one should have to work an 11 hour straight shift ..... Employees do not get paid anywhere near enough to deal with how much we do. It's bad business to tell a future employee one amount they will be paid then actually pay something different.. something less at that! System of training is horrible and lacking many of the computer skills needed to access more pieces and considering the main system is from 1994 it's not saying much. Employees learn by trial on many things. The furniture may have been great at one point but not these days. We have brand new pieces where the frames are falling apart and this is what the client gets in their home. That is, IF it gets to there home, delivery Is by far the worst I have seen. Not only will they charge more then everywhere else but half of the time you won't even get your furniture and if you do its a miracle if it comes undamaged. From a client stand point I would not waste my time and money here from an employee standpoint We are underpaid and overworked. Now to the customer service or should I say lack thereof..... It's horrible.... The point of a customer service center is to help client questions and issues. The store does half of your work too....

Advice to Management

You want to make a profit? Stop advertising 299 sofas so much because that won't make any money... Fix your delivery it is in desperate need of a change if you want to keep what little money you are making instead of all refunds due to delayed or damaged delivery....stop being so cheap and hire enough employees to do the work so each and everyone can work more productively on the position at hand....you get what you pay for, just like a 299 sofa that falls apart before even being deliverd or underpaid employees who just don't care about the service or sales because they don't get paid enough to do so...your 2% commission is a slap in the face to the employees who work hard.

10. "Interesting opportunity"

I have been working at Jennifer Convertibles full-time

Pros

great management. fun incentives. bonus structure. work alone with only advice of management.

Cons

have to work weekend, holidays and on occasions usually once or twice a week an 11 hour shift.