Jenny Craig Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jenny Craig CEO Monty Sharma
Monty Sharma

Pros
  • Helping people get to healthy weight (in 95 reviews)

• i can't even give a pro other than the fact that I was able to help people change their lives in a positive way (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • I wish upper management knew how he acted (in 41 reviews)

• There is not a lot of room for growth and advancement in the company, not very many promotions available, great for experience (in 14 reviews)

"Not what you think it is"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people, building relationships, health benefits,

Cons

Cold calling daily, no guaranteed hours, shady sales tactics, management is often imcompetent

Advice to Management

I found this job on Indeed.com and wish I had seen a review like mine.

Excuse me for being blunt but it's important for you to know that Jenny Craig is on it's last legs so if you can help it don't bother working here unless you are really that desperate for a temporary job that goes nowhere, has no respect for you, or it's members.

Don't be fooled by the appealing pay rate. It's a gimmick. They just raised it because this company overall experiences extremely high turnover (consultants AND managers leave at a rate that’s unheard of) and they recently raised it to lure in applicants who are motivated by that number. You will not make a decent income because in reality, your hours of "full time" or "part time" are not guaranteed, even if you were hired as such. In other words, your hours depend on how much food you sell. If you have a 4-hour shift, for example, and it's booked full with clients you should be able to work it right? Wrong. If your scheduled clients are known to spend vast amounts of money, only then can you go to work. I’m not kidding. If your clients do not spend up to a certain amount of money, you will be sent home early or asked not to come in because the company cannot afford to pay you for those 4 hours. So what they're doing is pinching every penny they can from their clients, and from their employees.

I can go on about the poor management in center too but that however is simply a reflection on the company's attempt to quickly fill positions under desperate circumstances. My manager happened to lack substantial leadership qualities and professionalism and it caused a poor work environment.

As a consultant, you will be required to make an outrageous number of sales calls per day. This is in addition to fulfilling your role as a consultant while taking care of all the responsibilities of a receptionist, and manager at times. By the way, the receptionist positions have all been extinguished to help the company save more money. See a theme here? In short, the consultants do way too much work and don’t get half the praise, respect, or compensation they deserve. The huge to-do list really wouldn't be so bad if they let their employees work some overtime to get it done or even just a full shift. But why would over-time be possible if a company can’t even afford to employ a front desk person to maybe greet everyone that walks in? It’s embarrassing to say the least, and sad customer service for our members.

Mar 15, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

It is unfortunate that this position was not what you expected. We would encourage any job seeker reading this review to watch the video on the Jenny Craig Glassdoor home page, as it does a nice job ... More

"Former CSC"

Former Employee - CSC in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - CSC in Garden City, NY

I worked at Jenny Craig (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with and the customers(all are great, including the people that let me go, it was a business decision, I completely understand)

Cons

after 10+ years was let go at 8am on a Saturday(I only worked Saturdays) with a letter that wasn't physically signed by any human resource personal, and a check for my hours accrued. Seemed like a cookie cutter letter, that my name an position was pasted into. After all my time there, thought I deserved something less robotic.

Advice to Management

treat your employees better, even when your firing them(I will stress that my manager and market director treated me with the upmost courteous and professionalism in my firing, and made the process as painless as they could) But corporate, maybe not have me come in at 7am on a Saturday after a 50+ hour work week prior at my other places of employment, to just give me my walking papers! I guess loyalty doesn't mean much to this company.

Mar 15, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. The recent organization structure changes have impacted a handful of employees and I'm sorry for the experience you had. I'm glad to hear you say that your local ... More

"Consultant"

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time

Pros

There are not too many here.

Cons

There are a lot to mention.

Advice to Management

Reward your hard working employees and recognize them.

"No employee loyalty"

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time

Pros

The clients are wonderful. It is a joy to see them living a healthier and fuller life. I feel honored to be a part of that journey.

Cons

Understaffed. Drastic salary cuts. Unrealistic expectations. Working every weekend. Some manager positions making up to $15,000 less a year than other managers within the company. These pay decreases also come with a huge amount of increased responsibilities,due to understaffing.

Advice to Management

Decreasing staff to the point of inconveniencing members, lowering morale amongst employees and not paying managers fairly or competitively is a recitgor a failing business structure.

Mar 15, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your words on our clients and their weight loss journey. In December, we raised the base pay rates of all Consultants across North America. This was done to retain our Consultants by ... More

"No Thanks"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, which is great especially if you're a working parent. Having a positive impact/building relationships with clients.

Cons

This position was only supposed to hold me over until I found something that worked better for me both career/compensation wise because let's face it, Jenny is really not for the professional working woman. Nonetheless, here's my two cents. The company is obviously in a rough position. Without accessing their financials to provide the specifics, because this isn't my first rodeo, it's obvious the company is in trouble financially which explains the raise given to appease their employees only to turn around and cut their hours/bonuses. If you do the math, you'll find that it wasn't a pay raise, but indeed a pay cut as others have mentioned. Again, not my first rodeo--Jenny's investors would like to dump them as a company, and the sooner the better which is why they are trying to appear as profitable as possible. Jenny has no competitive edge when major corporations are partnering with Weight Watchers and providing this service to their employees for FREE--(I'm sure the costs are embedded as part of their salaries), but it's working for them. Let's not even touch on the topic of advertising--in a down market, you should increase your marketing dollars, not decrease them. It's obvious, decrease our hours to 20/week but still want the same level of productivity. Psychologically speaking, that's demotivating the employee. Why would they want to increase your bottom line when you've decreased theirs? I really wanted to give this company a chance, but unfortunately Jenny has shown where their loyalty lies, and it is most certainly not with their employees. Your employees are paying for the irresponsible decisions you've made as an organization. Thanks but no thanks. As another poster mentioned, plenty of us are updating and sending out our resumes. I know retention has been hard on the company-- you can't keep consultants and I can see why. By the way--your clients are not to fond of having to deal with a new consultant every 3 months. Not sure what's in the store for the company's future however, if performance in January is any indication, I'll be surprised if you make it to end of year 2017.

Advice to Management

Read the cons section.

Feb 22, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

We want to acknowledge your review and let you know we are listening to our employees. You are so right that our clients need the consistency of their Consultant. This year we have been focused on ... More

"Good environment, great clients and co workers"

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love helping people achieve weight loss goals and maintain overall good health. Co workers are fantastic, we are also a family.

Cons

Hours being cut from full time to part time. Fellow employees can't make ends meet. Pay increase was great. But when you cut hours there is no difference. Less pay more hours is the same thing as more pay fewer hours. Extra hours are available if you are willing to go to other centers to cover shifts because people quit or are on vacation. With no notice I might add. 12-24 hour notice is not acceptable. Who approves vacation with out having adequate coverage first? Then to add insult to injury. They say that for those of you who hours have been cut due to ACH here is your chance to get those lacking hours. As if they are doing us a favor. We aren't stupid. You can try and spin it any way you want. Fact is fact. Truth is truth. Stop with the " pillars of Jenny Craig". What they really are is a means to an end. The fiscal end. And the HR responses are laughable. If we voice our opinions there is back lash. We are blackballed as trouble makers who don't play well with others.

Advice to Management

Hold CD's accountable for bringing in UNS. Hold them accountable for RTA calls. When consultants are exceeding the 1.1 ACH and seeing more like 3 per hour. Why are we still required to do 25 RTA calls. 44 clients seen in 24 hour period plus confirmation calls, care calls, RFP calls and stocking....that's exceeding company expectations. It appears and is not fair to take the CD 40hour away from center hours when I see and do more work than her. This work structure is bias and unfair and doesn't in accordance to Jenny Craig culture of supporting people on the front line.
    And no HR we will not contact you and have the back lash from MD. And the reputation of not playing well with others and be accused is not being a Jenny Craig cheerleader. We are all giving our best and upper management is not.

Feb 22, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

The pros you have referenced are the heart of our organization and thank you for 10+ years of service helping clients lose weight. I take very much to heart your comments about HR and there being ... More

"Watch Out, Not Worth It!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The girls that work there and helping people who actually are interested.

Cons

The pay is horrible. I was hired full-time and was working 2 days a week. Eventually they got rid of my position after me being there 3 months. The manager is literally 2 hours late every day and leaves after about hours so everyone else picks up his slack. Any schedule changes are made without telling you and if you need help from management, good luck getting a hold of anyone. Going to the bank would take 2 hours at times for special visits to who knows where. He called in sick almost every week for a day off. I had questions and he told me to ask my teammates. He was not there to train me for a week, ever, let alone a full day. He hardly showered and would take breaks to chain smoke or go to personal appointments during the day. I wish upper management knew how he acted. As an employee, one would be fired for his behavior. So much cold calling old customers from literally the early 1990's.

Advice to Management

Uh show up on time? Don't lie about position? Update your system!

Feb 27, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

I'm sorry for your bad experience. Your review with accusations of poor management is very serious to us. I have shared this information with local management to ensure we are addressing issues. ... More

"I hated my job."

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to help people, learn new skills, great benefits.

Cons

They expect more from you than what they're willing to pay. You are basically promoting yourself, being a councelor for your clients as Well as a health coach all within a time range of 20 minutes and sell them things on top of that. Oh and also telemarketing lots of it. And they want you to call all past clients and try to convince them to come back. My most recent experience is them cutting my hours so much to where my paychecks would be $60 if I was lucky and then they stopped scheduling me and they asked me if I had quit.

Feb 22, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback and glad to know that you found value in the connections with people, building skills and our benefit program. It is true that a lot of time is spent on the phone contacting ... More

"Centre Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was close to home

Cons

Low Salary, Local Marketing was useless, working conditions were poor, sales goals are unrealistic

Feb 22, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

We are sorry your experience was less than positive. We strive to create an environment supportive of our team so that they can support their Clients.

"You are not fooling anybody."

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making connections and seeing clients succeed is great. I have a wonderful center director, except when the MD basically bullies her.

Cons

Constant "supply issues", Menus with the food items that are on the "supply issue", micromanagement from the MD, unrealistic expectations, run down centers, rude IT, promotions changing every month, I could continue.

Advice to Management

As someone who is as organized and meticulous I am, it is nearly impossible to try and keep up with discount codes that are changed on a monthly basis. I was written up for using a RTA50 nov/dec on an RTA for January. It's the same code, same amount, I cannot believe I was scrutinized on such a small mistake. Heaven forbid a client get a discount. It was bad enough you took away the senior discounts on UNSs. I understand not giving double discounts or giving too much. However, the client did not get any extra savings. I am constantly having to changed plan menus because we are always in a "supply issue". Why are the consultants the ones in charge of bringing new clients in? Shouldn't that be the marketers job? My hours have been so drastically cut with the new CPH rule, I no longer have time to make calls. AND THEN, I get scrutinized for not making more calls?! Hello..? I really love helping clients, it's great. However, it's hard to help them when the company only cares about money. We all see the company is failing and has been. The market for frozen foods has dropped while fresh and organic has risen. If people do not want to do the program, harassing them with calls does not get them to come back. Do away wit RTA calls, they don't work. Create consistent hours, consultants will stay around. I was hired with the promise of 32+ hours a week, because I was hired full time. However, that is not the case any longer. I now have to find a new job to pay my bills. I've been laid off once with a failed company, I've seen the signs. I cannot go through this again. Also, every time, and I meant each and every time, I've called IT or facilities they have been rude. Do you guys record the calls? There needs to be some improvement.

Jan 20, 2017 – Human Resources

We want to support you, unfortunately due to your anonymity we are unable to reach out to you directly. We encourage you to call HR, so we can help solve your concerns. You indicated in your advice ... More