Jenny Craig Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jenny Craig CEO Monty Sharma
Monty Sharma

Pros
  • Helping people get to healthy weight (in 97 reviews)

• Literally see people change their lives in front of your eyes and have the oppertunity to train your team to guide their members to get to their goals (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Dealing with incredibly demanding upper management can be a bear (in 43 reviews)

• There is not a lot of room for growth and advancement in the company, not very many promotions available, great for experience (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inside Sale Representative (ISR) formally knows as Program Director"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jenny Craig (home office / sales floor) is a company that believes in and invests in their employees. It is a top priority that employees are HAPPY and the work environment reflects that. Opportunities are endless and growth is encouraged. Coworkers are friendly and all levels of management are kind and warm. People work together and are always willing to help, but the vibe of the sales floor is truly "happy". Supervisors are placed in the center of the sales floor, so they are constantly accessible and willing to help. And! You have access to the gym, curves gym and Jenny Craig store!)

Cons

The sales ebb and flow so there are times of the year when days feel long and frustrating. The commission structure is designed to help paychecks stay consistent throughout the year Part of the job is making outbound calls to "warm leads" and to follow up with no-sales ... its my least favorite part of the job, but its not terrible and management's expectations are realistic. The call center is open 5am-8am, so you might get stuck with an open or closing shift and you WILL have to work on one weekend day (everyone does, even supervisors) and on some holidays. Cubicles are small, but can be decorated any way you want.

Jenny Craig Response

Mar 15, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your review and I'm happy to hear of your experience. The management team and HR have been making changes to continuously improve the pay structure and incentives for the ISR team so we ... More

"Love the clients, hate the company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Very rewarding to see clients achieve results
    Program materials are very straight forward and easy for employees and clients to find useful information.
    The food really is great.
    I have found the motivational MOVE points useful.

Cons

Management has no regard for individual employees' needs, refuses to allow employees to choose working hours that suit them - even when centre's needs are met.
    lack of Benefits and commission pay structure for employees who should be helping clients - not pressuring them.
    Management follows labor law and even company policy when it suits them - not otherwise.

Advice to Management

Make a concerted effort to find out why so many people become constipated on the program - fix it!
    Get the grit out of anytime bars.
    Pay employees and respect their time and needs - then turnover will be lower and you will lose fewer clients because their consultants leave - everybody wins!

"Unethical Witches"

Former Employee - Assistant Centre Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Centre Director in New York, NY

Pros

Do not need a college degree, Sense of fulfillment, Food discounts.

Cons

UNethical management, favoritism & nepotism, unfairness in corporate culture, rules not fairly enforced, gossip, shitty hours, low pay, HORRIBLE benefits.

Advice to Management

I would advise Patty Larchet to introduce more testosterone into this environment. I now work in finance - which is almost all men and it is infintesimilly more professional. Do not promote your corporate culture to turn your employees into stepford wives, which is exactly how women who stay there and grow start to act. Pay your employees more than just min wage and secure some better benefits.

"Run Run As Fast As You Can"

Current Employee - Program Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Program Director in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Able to meet people and "change lives" if they follow the program. If you work for a good center director then the job is easy, if not then it can be HELL- I was lucky, my friend who works at another center not so lucky she is in constant conflict with co-workers fighting for commission

Cons

Pay Sucks Commission Structure Sucks $8.65 base pay per hr. Long hours 9am to 7pm half day on Sat. Some centers are open Sundays. Benefits suck and cost almost $100 per month for indivdual but if your making $8.00 that is a major chunk from your check! Medical benefits are limited as well.

Advice to Management

Get it together and pay your employees

"Program Director for Jenny Craig at Home (Carlsbad, CA)"

Current Employee - Program Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

The pay is relatively decent for a job that requires little formal education or training. Well, that is about it.

Cons

Terrible health benefits start six months after you join, with slightly less terrible benefits a year later (I was told this was to discourage women who plan to become pregnant to apply). 401k match suspended. Vacation/sick pay is out of the same bank (2 weeks a year) and is paid at $11/hr, so it's hardly "paid" anyways. Incompetent management at all levels.

Advice to Management

I would strongly suggest you take a look at the leadership team you have in place, especially those managing the Program Directors.

"worst job i have ever had"

Former Employee - Program Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Program Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

the women you meet and being able to support is losing wieght is a reward in itself I have helped change numerous woman reach there goal get off medication and boost self esteem.

Cons

The pay is a joke! you are paid minimum wage and the sell you this dream that you will make so much money but the commission teirs are an insult. There is no training. Management needs to be taught skills on how to motivate and how treat there employees like adults and with respect. The turnover rate is so high which is enough to tell you that there is no employee apperciation.

Advice to Management

Stop using grade school ways to motivate your employees! we are all adults here. pay your employees what they deserve. how flexible do you except employees to be if oyu pay them minimum wage!

"Mean Girls on a Power Trip"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

-Great co-workers
    -Compelling work and interesting projects
    -Owned by Nestle
    -Discounted Jenny Craig meals in the cafeteria
    -Great location in Carlsbad, California

Cons

-Low compensation
    -Minimal benefits
    -Sorority-like environment
    -Lack of competence of upper management
    -Lack of communication within company
    -No career development
    -Little internal promotions
    -Behind the times in thinking and technology

Advice to Management

Get off of your power trip and learn how to lead a company, as opposed to feeding your egos. Motivate your employees instead of belittling them and treating them like children. Accept that most of you are under qualified for your positions, and seek advice from experts.

"Extreme Mismanagement Causing Downfall of the Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Jenny Craig has a 25 year history and highly regarded name in the weight loss industry. The program is great, and has helped millions of people become healthier.

Cons

The extreme mismanagement is causing a rapid downfall of the company. Few people in management positions are qualified for their jobs, and the mismanagement and poor leadership has led to an all-time low in employee morale. Last-minute decision-making, poor strategy and follow-through, and tolerance of workplace bullying has led this to be the worst company I have worked for in my career.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings, and put a stop to the toxic work environment. Hire those who are qualified for management positions, instead of using favoritism to fill gaps in the organization.

"Demoralizing, frightening, stressful, unhealthy, unsupportive."

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

It's very satisfying to feel like you are in a position to support/advise others on living a more healthy life (not only in body but in mind).

Cons

It is a sweat shop with incredibly high turnover.
    Management think that they're gods.
    Instead of fostering talent in their staff, they seem threatened by it. I have noticed that when employees bring up valid concerns, they are either treated dismissively, or worse, targeted for bogus disciplinary action. I am afraid to speak up. "Staff meetings" are indoctrination sessions, where normal staff meeting activities, like open discussions, employee input and questions, etc are highly discouraged. I've seen employees ostracized for daring to suggest something that could be improved. Mgmt immediately responds to employees' concerns with, "It is your fault, what can you do differently to make sure that you avoid that pitfall in future?" It never occurs to them that there could possibly be a problem with their system.
    They seem to be averse to any brainstorming, creativity, individuality, or improvement. They set forth an impossible combination of factors to achieve (like high food/product/program sales, high client success, high phone productivity, 15 minutes per client maximum, minimum number of clients seen/day, minumum number of calls made/day, minimum amount of sales/hour, low no-show rate, etc), and it is virtually impossible to do well in an area without another area suffering. For example, how can I have high sales if I'm rushing the consultation? Or how can I make more calls if all of my clients "show up" for their appts? Also, how can I be held responsible for my clients being successful? I can try to motivate, encourage, and educate them, but in the end, I'm not with them 24/7, and if they cheat and don't lose weight, that could affect my eval & employment.
    It seems like they are exploiting the high unemployment rate at this time since their attitude seems to be, "If you don't like it, we can easily find someone else to replace you." It could be an awesome place if managers would stop acting so elitist, closed-minded, fake, and arrogant. Nestle must be pushing them to squeeze every penny out of us to please shareholders. I'm not suggesting that profit is bad, but when do you squeeze so tightly that we stop breathing? They're leading us down a road of burn out, & they simply do not care.
    We make minimum wage plus commission & our annual increases are just a few cents/hr. I basically have horrible health coverage and I'm not eligible for their "good" health insurance until one yr after my first 90 days, plus round that date up to the first of the month after that. That's over 15 months with very inadequate healthcare. And JC is promoting healthiness??
    When I was first at JC, which really wasn't that long ago, I heard the "old timers" (ie, anyone who's worked there for a year or more) complaining about all of this. I thought, "It can't be that bad. It must be the employees' faults. I'm going to have a positive outlook & help my clients to make major changes in their lives, I will grow with this company, I will make an impact on my clients and on the company." Slowly I'm seeing that this is going to be impossible. It's a shame.
    The clients are all in the dark about what our responsibilities are and what expectations we have to live up to--if they knew, maybe the clients would be more understanding and we'd have an easier time keeping our consultations to 15 minutes and keeping the clients on the food as much as possible (to keep our sales up) until they reached their goal weights. It's no secret that other professions rely on business and sales to make a living. Real Estate Agents, Car Salespeople, Telemarketers, etc, all make their salary on commissions/bonuses. I speculate that the reason why JC clients are largely unaware of how we are compensated is because JC itself is ashamed to admit it. That it somehow cheapens the plan. That if clients knew we were paid, in large part, with commissions, they would lose their trust in what we have to say to them, and in turn their trust in Jenny Craig. I would not blame them. As other people commented, we are basically functioning as therapists all day and we should get a higher base salary. I understand incentives like commissions, but it shouldn't be the majority of my income and livelihood, and if a client does or doesn't order food should not be the determining factor in whether I am able to feed my family.
    Mgmt repeats "You teach people how to treat you." So why do I endure this treatment from them?? Because I'm terrified to speak my mind, lose my job, & have no income at all. That is just plain sad.

Advice to Management

Take a good, long, honest look at yourselves in the mirror. You were in the right place at the right time and that is the extent of your talent.

"Horrible. Employee turnover high with no explanation to co workers when a employee wa. Had to pretend you didn't notice."

Former Employee - Sales/Consultant in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales/Consultant in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

Good program and great client's.

Cons

Terrible pay, poor management with mgr. over stating her education to make it seem that she had a asters degree. Just a mail away "masters"