Jeppesen Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Kevin Crowley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management (directors and above) cannot make decisions (in 10 reviews)

• The parent company Boeing is becoming more and more a part of the day-to-day activities at Jeppesen (in 5 reviews)

"Don't contract here!!!"

Current Contractor - Navigation Information Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Contractor - Navigation Information Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Jeppesen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good about work life balance, in office supervisors and co-workers are mostly nice.

Cons

Clearly distinguish between contractors and "full time" employees with contractors getting less training, less supervisor investment, no benefits, exclusion from many meetings and team building events, no defined path to full time employment. Full time employees mostly don't care about contractors. Hiring occurs straight from the street as well as from contractor pool, leaving many contractors wondering why they were overlooked while noobs without any experience suddenly are career team members. Contractors metrics get unfairly compared to long term (far better trained) employees which in comparison is frustrating, depressing and demotivating. The team I was assigned to had nearly zero investment in helping me learn the work or volunteer help/advice.

Advice to Management

Don't screw over your contractors! We work hard for you, doing the same job as the full times for less compensation and inferior treatment. Show this is appreciated and "not all for nothing " on our part, cause that's how I feel. Feels like I wasted nearly a year with no more future with Jeppesen now than if I had never applied!

"Boeing will ruin any company it buys!"

Former Employee - Navigation Information Analyst Level III in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Navigation Information Analyst Level III in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cafeteria on site, the individual workers who actually get the work completed! Also, the working from home benefit, you can actually work from home three out of five days and no one will even notice!

Cons

Where do I begin:

Boeing Leadership Team: ineffective! Boeing definitely did not send their "A" team, more like their seventh grade team squad. Boeing is using Jeppesen as its training ground and one day when an airline somewhere cannot get their flight information and are down for a day or two, Boeing will find out what they own and what they got in their leadership! The only reason this hasn't happen yet is because the airlines haven't invested in their own IT infrastructure in so long.

HR Team: always sides with management, not out at all for the employees! If employees were smart they would get union representation. If ever a time calls for a union it's for these workers. Benefits keep diminishing and HR permits managers to put people on performance improvement plans for weak reasons.

Finance: the CFO here is smart, he knows how to hold money and when to release it. However, when it comes to people he cannot make decision. He knows there are leaders who have whole teams who add little to no value but does nothing about it. He and the COO work very close and both know changes need to happen with some teams but choose to do nothing about it! Think crabs, they hide in the sand.

ITTeam: really tough area to work, you kill yourself to keep antiquated systems running. Why? Because the leadership team is too chicken to tell an airline that Jeppesen can no longer afford to run it and keep up with investing in new technologies. You will learn nothing new except how to keep things running and by the way on no money.

Procurement Team: run, this team makes you feel like you are a criminal! After one round with them on trying to get a simple procurement through will make you wish for prison, because at least in prison you have rights!

Contracts/Legal Team: nice folks but cannot seem to get Boeing to understand software is different than building an airplane. Funny part here is the head of legal is from Boeing, guess he just cannot, "find a way". Yes, one of Boeing's creeds is, "Find A Way!"

Sales Team: in a phase of confusion. Boeing has too many sales people and will cut sales jobs at all subsidiaries, which in turn will hurt their new Services division. A person selling airplanes knows nothing about services onboard those planes, as a matter of fact, those that do are smart enough to offer the services away in an attempt to seal a deal, which Boeing does regularly and too much. Thus, killing the subsidiaries they bought. Sad really! If you like airplane sales apply, if you are looking to sell software on planes go elsewhere.

Implementation/Crew Team: the US folks try really hard, but when you rely on a country like Sweden to build complicated crew software expect major delays. Promise might be two years, think four. With all the holidays in Sweden these folks hardly work and these folks make it clear to leadership when they have time off, they know their rights! You will spend all your time explaining to a customer why implementation slide a date.

Product Development: slow, slow and did I say slow....Boeing infiltrated team that doesn't understand how to write requirements good enough to build a product, sad really. Outsourcing many jobs to Poland and India, which more than likely will have devastating consequences.

Product Management Team: poor leadership, who tell the COO what he wants to hear. Have pet projects that they hide from company within their budgets. If you work with or for this team think POLITICS! This Team makes the US Government look like a well oiled machine! Customers in their minds are not first, nor are the workers under them.

Advice to Management

Why? These Boeing Leaders at Jeppesen think they are the best and brightest, those working for them should feel honored, because they found a way to be a Boeing employees and not Jeppesen employees. Advice for APPLICANTS: don't apply within 3 to 5 years this place won't be around.

"This company was once a very good place to work, don't confuse old reputation for current reality"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a cafeteria on site, some work from home opportunities, relatively good pay and benefits, you can work as much or as little as you want because no one will notice or care

Cons

Expired business model with no future-like Kodak was with the advent of the DSLR camera. For years terrible senior leadership promoted bad people into lower management roles to create a full cycle management crisis. Parent company Boeing does not send their best and brightest people to help, but gives them the authority to make changes. All the good people have either left or are planning to leave. Not enough parking but that will no longer be an issue soon as people are exiting, Constant state of reorg because management does not really know what their people do. 2 to 5 years before the company sells its assets and gives up

Advice to Management

Management has not listened to their internal employee surveys for years nor the exit interviews of their best people as they walk out the door, why would they listen to advice given on Glassdoor? Jeppesen being an aviation company I will put my best advice in aviation terms "Brace for impact!"

"Accountant"

I worked at Jeppesen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members and generally fun work environment

Cons

Heavy corporate bureaucracy. Over compensation of management.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people as if they don't matter. While everyone is replaceable you should recognize the efforts of the individual contributors more and less on over compensating your management.

5. "Operations specialist"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Jeppesen as a contractor

Pros

The product I worked on was extremely exciting and challenging. I loved working on the innovation for the future of aviation/aerospace.

Cons

- Poor Management, Senior management doesn't engage employees in order to evaluate and support solutions
    - Lots of internal company politics. Management plays favorites and while some employees have much better skillsets and background than others, the favorites win out.
    - There's a great deal of friction between Jeppesen and Boeing. While Boeing purchased Jeppesen, Jeppesen feels like they're 'king of the hill' and isn't accepting to the new leadership.

Advice to Management

Look at the talent that you have as a whole and give newer employees a chance to shine vs. focusing on favorites. New team members don't stand a chance to make a difference.

6. "Visual Designer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Englewood, CO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly if I was there long enough I would give some.

Cons

I worked there for just under two weeks. No more!

Advice to Management

Quit! you suck at your job! 20 years in in my field and I have never seen anything like this place!

"Engineer"

I have been working at Jeppesen full-time

Pros

None to speak of in Denver.

Cons

1) very low salaries 2) Forget interviewing - they say they will call you and they never so. You send HR an email requesting an update - they never reply. Extremely unprofessional organization.

Advice to Management

Educate your people - when they say they will do something - they need to do it.

"general aviation "customer consultant""

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Englewood, CO

I worked at Jeppesen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company is owned by boeing... even if Jeppesen does well, bonus is still awful because of boeing ownership

Cons

management is horrendous! dont join GA team! its a glorified call center. pay is horrible

Advice to Management

need new management all the way around

"Though we are a Boeing Company, held to their goals we receive little of the benefits."

Pros

This used to be a solid company that I was proud to work for. Unfortunately I would not recommend applying.

Cons

Our bonus structure is based 75% of Boeing performance and 25% of Jeppessen. This will change next year. For this year Boeing employees have received a one time adjustment to remove lower performance in Boeing in order to receive 95% of their bonus. Jeppesen employees, however are not being given the same adjustment. Therefore are receiving more than a 20% lower bonus. I would be interested to know how this is ethical? Fair? Sadly, it is more of the same. Jepp is a small fish in a very large pond.

"Front line manager"

I have been working at Jeppesen full-time

Pros

Salary is decent.Facilities good, aviation industry, talented people

Cons

Politics, Very ancient technology, discriminatory culture, no equal opportunity, cliques among leaders

Advice to Management

Stop the politics. Please get some work done !