Jervis B. Webb Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Masaki Hojo

1. "Industry Leader in Airport Technologies and Smart Handling"

Current Employee - Project Management in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Project Management in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people at all levels of the company
    - Interesting and important work all over North America and abroad
    - Senior Management is open to ideas for improvement
    - New headquarters is under construction
    - Very strong future work forecasts
    - Opportunity for career advancement

Cons

- As with any project based businesses, the work can be stressful
    - Many positions require travel, which depending on your circumstance can be challenging
    - Current office is very outdated (but new one will be ready in September of 2017!)

Advice to Management

- Continue to maintain the core strengths of Jervis B. Webb Company as processes and procedures are updated to reflect the goals of the Daifuku organization.
    - Always be open to ideas for improvement.
    - Offer opportunities for junior members of the team to gain experience in management functions.

2. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for the Jervis B. Webb Company for many years now and witnessed a variety of changes moving us forward within the industry. There are many great and smart people who work for the Webb Company willing to share knowledge with one another. Salary and benefits are among the best in our industry. We have good leadership and an HR department that I now feel comfortable going to when I have a question (that was not the case in the past). Working for this company has been a blessing to me and my family.

Cons

We have a lot of work that casues more time away from home, but it is better than the alternative.

Advice to Management

Opening up the communication lines such as the "on the go" screens throughout the building would be well accepted. Other than that keep up the good work.

"Innovative people and products, horrible leadership. . ."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool products in material handling. Innovative combinations of traditional conveyance systems with software, PLC's, web controls and reporting, automated guided vehicles. Some great engineering talent and genuinely nice people.

Cons

Leadership quality has declined rapidly in the 4Q of 2016. The innovative and intelligent company president was replaced in November 2016 by a micro-managing tyrant from a sister company, clearly with the intent of aligning the organizations together. The smartest people have all left, including Director of Manufacturing, Controller, HR Manager, IT Leadership, Quality, and Marketing.

All employee-focused communication tools have been shut down (display boards, online newsletter, collaborative Intranet), budget for event committee has been eliminated, business travel costs are being pushed onto employees, budget for new computers has been eliminated.

With the wealth of opportunity elsewhere, there is no reason to work at Jervis B. Webb/Daifuku.

Advice to Management

Japanese parent has been seriously lead astray by DNAHC management. This once great company is losing talent and reputation daily. The only option to save Webb is to seriously clean house at the top (just about everyone at the holding company level).

"Controls Engineer - Airport Baggage"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was pretty good for an entry level engineer fresh out of college
    Traveling- if you are interested in going to different airports (ALL THE TIME)
    When in the office, working over 8 hours was rare
    Pretty decent benefits

Cons

Traveling- I was misled to believe it was going to be a 30% travel role and after I got my initial 4 months in the office getting me familiar with things, I was on the road pretty much nonstop.
    LONG hours on the road, sometimes 12+ hour days and working 12 days consecutively, with ZERO OVERTIME
    Comp days- they say they will give you comp time for the extra days and hours in the field, but when you ask to take them, they get mad and make you feel guilty or just say no altogether
    Management didn't seem to take my concerns very seriously
    Management was really difficult to find to talk about things in person
    A lot of the really smart senior employees would answer questions that I had in a condescending tone and make me feel kind of stupid
    No real progress updates or performance reviews with supervisors for the entire year I was there
    Too many people internally were fighting for different outcomes, if we all were on the same team and focused on the customer, things would operate much more smoothly
    No real bonuses

Advice to Management

Be honest about what the job entails during the interviewing process
    Really listen to what the employees are saying and think critically about WHY turnover is so high
    Do not make people feel guilty when they ask for some time off, especially when you know they have earned it in the field.

"Good product, ridiculous outdated management"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best thing about this company are the clients and the venders. The benefits are average and the pay is average.

Cons

Management is old and outdated. There is zero leadership. Engineering makes way too many mistakes and management wonders why the projects all overrun schedules and budgets. A clean sweep of almost ALL employees that have been there over 5 years is required to get passion and pride back into that company!

Advice to Management

To Japan: Get your head out of the sand and review / eliminate the actual problems and where the overruns are coming from or you are seriously going to lose the few great people you have left!

Your Senior and upper level Management needs to be replaced with those that have morals, ethics, and not just a desire to keep their company car and (overpaid) salaries.

You need to make everyone accountable for their mistakes and if management wants to cover them up, then hold them accountable. If you keep allowing the wrong people to be let go, you will never be profitable.

"Has a long way to go to be Great!"

Former Employee - Cost Accounting in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Cost Accounting in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jervis Webb and Daifuku North America are one in the same. The people are really friendly, helpful and nice. People are resourceful and the IT group is helpful when something is not working. Employees work together to find solutions around the ineffective ways to process orders, change orders, invoices. There are people that have worked here for 25 years plus. Longevity is usually a good thing. Complacency is not

Cons

Before you apply for a job here, recognize that the reason there are so many openings is because of the high rate of turn around. I would like to think it was growth but it is not. Good people don't stay. Immediately you recognize the old building, the desktop computers or used laptops you receive on your first day. Even with a move to a new building coming soon, the inside dynamics are old and ineffective. Changes are being made but JW and Daifuku have a long way to go to catch up with technology, best practices and overall upgrading their software systems (accounting, pm, sales) to better compete in todays baggage claim and automotive industries. The culture of Jervis Webb and Daifuku is stifling. It is the type of place where there are meeting to have meetings.

Advice to Management

Continue to weed out those people that are not productive. Update technology, stop with the excel spreadsheets. Get WebEx, video conferencing, Telepresence for people to have meetings. Blue jeans and flex time are a great start. This is 2015, Secretaries that bring coffee, and are asked to attend a meeting strictly to move a mouse for a power point presentation should be obsolete.

"office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Jervis B. Webb (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good matching pay. That's it.

Cons

Management is terrible. With great benefits and pay, they loose almost all the new people they get within a year. Senior management is in a constant state of changing. They change goals about three months and follow on none of them. Just about every lower level manager has been there for 35 years or more and just about all of them have no interest in improving the company. This is why even with the benefits and pay, new people constantly leave.

Advice to Management

Realize that the reason employee morale is sow LOW is because of management.

"Rewarding and Exciting. Friendly People."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Jervis B. Webb (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rewarding and exciting to be a part of our end product result.
    Flexible schedule.
    Numerous company team building events - department open houses, Christmas party, summer pot luck, family fun day and more.
    Friendly people.
    Great benefits.

Cons

Always busy, but can be considered a good thing.

Jervis B. Webb Response

Jul 1, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback. We will do our best to continue offering fun company events and competitive benefits. Your dedication of 8+ years with the Company is appreciated, thank you for ... More

10. "Senior Cost Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hls, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hls, MI

I worked at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, work-life balance, employee activities,
    great co-workers

Cons

Little advancement opportunities depending on your particular department.

"OMG don't do it"

Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Jervis B. Webb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great , they have become used to the Webb way and most people have become complacent, it's like working with zombies

Cons

Old technology, everything done manually, a lot of talk and no do

Advice to Management

Invest in technology, stop talking about it and do it