JetBlue Reviews | Glassdoor

JetBlue Reviews

Updated January 5, 2017

Current Employees

Pros
Cons
  • You will not have work/life balance; you will have work/more work balance (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours, unpredictable work schedules due to flight delays (in 15 reviews)

"Awesome coworkers, management critically disconnected from reality."

Current Employee - In Flight Crew Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - In Flight Crew Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A chance to see the eastern seaboard.
    Great west coast layovers
    Very short reserve time because of high turnover and growth
    Easy service and fantastic passengers

Cons

Manuals and policies lacking: when you find a blank spot, management will always side with the passenger.
    New policies, such as attendance, are released 5 days prior to being effective, despite being crafted a year in advance.
    Middle management interrogates, intimidates, and treats IFCs as expendable. The whole goal of this is to drive up turnover and reduce labor costs (I think).
    All of the supervisors are from other airlines. I'm not sure if this says something about the company or management or the position, but only a handful of supervisors have ever worn a JetBlue uniform.

Advice to Management

Fire pretty much everyone in frontline leadership. Current supervisors are useless: they rarely have the answers, frequently provide obviously false answers, and drive crewmembers away from advancement and the company in general.
    Promote from within. Nothing about hiring 4 supervisors from the now defunct American Eagle base says "we value our employees and support internal growth."
    Stop focusing on silly things. Don't put together a whole team to sell a psychological pay raise to your employees. Stop holding anti-Union propaganda sessions in training. Stop making up stories about unions and union representation. Take a good, hard look and recognize that your turnover is artificially high and you have a very large contingent of flight attendants who don't leave because they can't, and then change things from there.

2. "jb"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

flexibility, dental insurance, flying benefits , 401k.

Cons

favoritism , if you are pt it is crazy to be able to get OT , who you know is a better way to get where you want instead of hard work.

Advice to Management

They should do individual performance, somehow, like who checked in the most people in x shift, it would be fair and square because there are a lot of people who just do what they want and sometimes management is aware and they do nothing about it. Management needs to be more consistent just like the company would like crewmembers to be consistent with customer, so if it does not start with management towards crewmembers, it's going to show crewmembers the same thing.

"Recruitment Process Needs Much Improvement"

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flight perks, nice people. Nice Long Island City location. The LIC headquarters is very accessible by public transportation, parking lots in the area if one drives in.

Cons

There's little to no transparency in the recruitment process. It takes months, with constant follow-up on behalf of the applicant.

Advice to Management

Cut the bureaucratic nonsense, and revamp the recruitment process. Not all candidates have months and months to waste on the process. JetBlue may lose top notch employees who otherwise may accept a position with an organization with a stronger sense of urgency

"Absolutely no room for growth. Perfect place to work if you're only here for the benefits and do not want a challenge"

Current Employee - Finance in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in Long Island City, NY

Pros

Flight Benefits are great, and the work life balance is ideal depending on what department you're in. There really aren't any other pros to working here.

Cons

Absolutely no room for growth especially in the Finance department. People who are at manager level and above have for the most part been with the company for 10+ years and there's no sign of them ever leaving the company. The pace is so slow, and often times get bored with work. Management is hesitant to embrace change. People that work here are "comfortable" thus if you want to be challenged, work with smart people, this is not the place for you. The pay is also below average. The health benefits aren't great either.

"Customer Service"

Pros

Flight benefits, great co-workers to work with

Cons

No work life balance, Take care of work related issues on your own time. you have no time for yourself. The pay is lower than other airlines.

Advice to Management

Do an under cover boss and see what is really going on.

"This company has changed dramatically........I have been with JetBlue for over 11 years."

Current Employee - In Flight Crew Member
    Current Employee - In Flight Crew Member

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their Care Team is amazing, wonderful people who are very supportive when you need it. You don't see that very often at big companies.

Cons

The REALLY don't care about their Inflight Department, period. Everything is a struggle and if you are on reserve, it can be really tough.

Advice to Management

Be the way you used to be.....treat your employees with dignity and respect and in turn you will get better performance from them.

"Bait and switch"

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travel benefits like any other airline

Cons

They sell you their values but don't embody them.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Nice on the outside, but rotten on the inside"

Current Employee - People Department in New York, NY
    Current Employee - People Department in New York, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(This is all my view points from the LIC Support Center)
    -Younger workforce
    - Energized environment, but this differs from dept to dept
    - Great architecture at HQ with a modern-esq look and feel
    - Most upper management are at least educated, but that comes with arrogance
    - People are polite and professional
    - Fun culture when folks are happy

Cons

VPs and higher have no clue as to what goes on with the Day 2 Day operations and therefore take the lead from their Directors and Managers. My first month there I heard so many jokes about job security, but never took anything seriously because I thought my credentials and experience will speak for themselves. Well, I was wrong. If they want someone else in the position that can be high performing (bringing their own people in), they will make sure you are setup to fail. You will slowly be phased out without even knowing and one day be called in to let you know you have been terminated with the reason there isn't enough work. Only to discover that more people were hired for the department. Lesson? Yes, don't be afraid to push boundaries because it seems those are the ones that make it.

New Directors and old ones are re-hired to implement changes, but all they do is perpetuate bad actions and policies. They hardly ever do what is right for their people.

Also, if you are good at sucking-up, you will get far. People are promoted into management positions not because they have the qualifications, but if the VP or Director like you and you've been there 2-5 years, you are guaranteed to get the spot regardless of anyone else being qualified on the team. For such a young company I was surprised at the lack of diversity at the HQ. Hardly any people of color in management positions and hardly any women occupying top positions. The ones that are, seem like they only got it because of EEO policies (no pun intended). I know they are smart, but form the outside it looks like a farce.

Advice to Management

You claim to live by the mission and vision, but it seems it only pertains to customers. The people working hard to support you seem to be treated like they are dispensable and irrelevant. Remember to get to the top, you still need to step up and look down. Don't let your eagerness to get to the top cloud your judgement to do the right thing and concentrate less on doing it right.

"Very disappointed; they don't practice what they preach."

Current Employee - Reservations/Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Reservations/Customer Care in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are still able to hire very good people and employees.

Cons

They don't take care and appreciate the good people they hire and the work they perform.

Advice to Management

If you preach "bringing humanity back to air travel" how about practicing bringing humanity back to employee relations.

"False Perception of a company making believe they care"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with some great fellow inflight crews.

Cons

Work rules are horrible and are only followed when convenient for management. Crew scheduling and the whole reserve life is the worst in the industry. They fire people at a drop of a dime. Duty days go up to 18 hours at a time with little or no rest, not safe for anybody and then they are surprised when we get sick from being run down. Layovers are beyond short. No job security at all

Advice to Management

You would think we would be treated better and be sincerely valued. I have been told that Flight Attendants are a dime a dozen. Treat your flight attendants well, and the good karma will trickle down to the customers. No wonder so many are talking about a union. It is hard to keep caring so much for our customers when we are not treated right. So many of us really take pride in our career, help us help you.