Jewelry Television Reviews in Tennessee | Glassdoor

3.3
Jewelry Television President and CEO Tim Matthews
Tim Matthews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Also, The employee discount is incredible (in 11 reviews)

• The majority of the employees are great people who want to help you succeed (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is clueless, they have no regard for their subordinates, nor care for what a decent wage should be (in 15 reviews)

• Call center is not well ventilated so you are prone to quite a lot of illnesses since your only allowed to miss 2 days in a 3 month time span (in 9 reviews)

1. "Best Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots perks for employees and ability to make good money

Cons

Inability to maintain work days with positive outlook.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire at higher pay rate and the turn over won't be so high, after all you get what you pay for. You're execs and hosts are well paid but the backbone of your company suffers

"Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice managers very friendly coworkers

Cons

not enough people calling in

Advice to Management

give employees something to do between calls besides watching show

"Cutting costs by dumping full time employees"

Former Employee - Everything in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Everything in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good co-workers who look out for each other in the "jewelry pits"

Cons

Management does not care about the loyal and valuable employees who have been with JTV ever since it was called ACN. Employees who have been with the company through the ups and downs, the numerous lay-offs, restructuring and changes over many, many years are being fired at an alarming rate to make room for newer, younger part time employees who will not be given health care insurance. I've had very good performance reviews for years, but suddenly my latest evaluation is terrible??!! It's so obvious that this is a financial decision, but I have to ask (and I hope the JTV's consumers also ask): "How much money does a company have to make?" Is it worth screwing over valuable employees for higher stock?

Advice to Management

Take care of your loyal employees instead of your financial bottom line. If you want to hire incoming applicants part time with horribly low wages, that's your business decision. But don't screw over long time employees in the process, and don't lie and use poor performance reviews as a reason to let people go.

4. "Unique, friendly environment to gain experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

JTV is a great place to gain experience. All of the people I met in my time there were very friendly. Since it is a 24/7 broadcast, things are constantly changing so every day can be different. Overall, it's a really unique environment to work, and I would recommend the company!

Cons

Pay is not competitive in the industry. Limited growth opportunities.

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PHO, if you ever get to use it.

Cons

It's hard to find a starting point. Upper management is clueless, they have no regard for their subordinates, nor care for what a decent wage should be. Middle management are no more than enforcers, not leaders and HR serve as henchmen for the upper elite. The worst possible company to work for in the area. They dress up the facility to make a good impression for stakeholders, but the worker bees are hidden away in the bowels of the building. No recognition whether in raises or other wise are offered and the stress level is through the roof. The higher ups are well insulated from the unwashed masses without a care as long as they are turning a profit.

Advice to Management

Considering your subordinates are the ones who are guaranteeing your paycheck, pay them what they deserve and show some appreciation. That would be a start...

6. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team Work
    The people are great
    Management is helpful
    My friends there great
    The commission is ok

Cons

The hours
    No work life balance
    No time for a life
    No time for school
    Trying to make everyone happy

Advice to Management

Make the employees feel more wanted

"Machine Operater"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of employee benefits, excessive hours of you constantly want to work overtime to make more money

Cons

If you want to sell your soul to JTV this is the place for you. They constantly make Saturdays mandatory when you normally work M-F with one to two days notice. They will constantly inform you the day-of that you will be staying 2-3 hours longer than you were scheduled. They do not follow TN labor laws. I would like to see this place shut down.

Advice to Management

You cannot expect your employees to be available for you 24/7. You cannot force people to work extra hours with no advance notice. People have lives outside of work and you are screwing up mine. I have a family. I would have loved to continue to work for your company if I was working the 7:15-3:45 M-F schedule I was guaranteed. But when I get off at 5:30 every day and am forced to work on a Saturday during a holiday weekend with 2 days notice when I had out of town plans with my family, that's just unfair. You need to hire more employees if there is too much work to get it done during the work week. Shame on you. You need to shape up.

"Great in between job. Great for part time or students. Not a job you want if looking for a career."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Jewelry Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount. Nice PHO package if you ever get to use it.

Cons

Call center is not well ventilated so you are prone to quite a lot of illnesses since your only allowed to miss 2 days in a 3 month time span. If you contract an illness and miss more you will be fired. Doctor excuses do not count. If you have high up sales then things can be different. You receive privileges that others do not. There are a select few who's sales are high and they will tell you to your face management 's not going to do anything to them and it's true. I saw first hand an employee who's sales were high allowed to berate and verbally abuse co-workers with no more than a supervisor telling them not to do it again and the employees receiving the abuse told they were overly sensitive.The companies integrity is very low. The job is not worth the low pay without any room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Have better communication between departments. Work on hiring people who will lift the company up in the future, with good work ethics instead of anyone who walks in the door.

9. "Great place to work, but it has flaws"

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great benefits, and low stress job, good pay for what it is, Shipping department management is fantastic and will work with you for your needs.

Cons

employees from other departments look down on you, opportunities to advance are non-existent, on your feet pretty much all day, always guarantee you will be working 50+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

stop making people work overtime

10. "Don't get sick"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Jewelry Television (More than a year)

Pros

25+ paid days off per year. That begin accumulating from day 1. They treat the employees and their families very well.

Cons

They don't pay very well. Security is very tight, to the point of being rude. You will walk a lot.

Advice to Management

When an employee has a prolonged illness, don't question their integrity.