Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) Reviews | Glassdoor

Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) Reviews

Updated June 30, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) President & Chief Executive Officer Lorrie Henderson
Lorrie Henderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Clinician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This agency has it's ups and downs, but overall I enjoy working there. As a clinician, you get your own office and plenty of clinical experience. Furthermore, there are great training opportunities. I see strict paperwork as a con in other reviews, but getting paperwork in on time is an ethical issue and I am glad that JFCS has taught me the importance of this over the years. The billing system is decent. There is a team atmosphere, and pretty much all of the employees are very compassionate and driven to provide quality care. Integrated care is something JFCS is striving for, and it's starting to show in better quality service delivery in my opinion. There are constant changes, but this is the nature of behavioral health. Change is good because it means the agency wants to grow and be current in best practice. Again, it comes down to ethics, and this agency prides itself on ethical adherence and professional growth.

Cons

Productivity can be stressful. Sometimes, but not all the time, there are mixed messages from management.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page. Continue to support your folks as much as possible.

2. "GREAT Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Non-Profit Organization that truly cares about the community they serve. Incredible place to work with a positive and supportive work environment. Organization has been around for more than 85 years and has a GREAT reputation. Proud to call them my employer! Also, the organization LOVES to hire from within so there's A LOT of upward mobility!

Cons

None that I have encountered

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Therapist"

Current Employee - Therapist in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Therapist in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Knowledgable and caring staff - from operations to management. Non-punitive and supportive environment. The Glendale Site has helped me to be a better therapist.

Cons

Strict billing...but this is common with all clinics in Maricopa County.

4. "Family Therapist"

I worked at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of amazing support staff who truly care about serving families. The team approach works well. The offices are pretty nice.

Cons

It is a deceptive practice to be a non-profit but to operate like a for profit. There is constant pressure to meet billing quotas. To be safe, you have to be 100% compliant inputting billing invoices and noted in with 24 hours. Kind of hard to complete that when you have 70 cases and no matter what, you’re only getting paid for a 40 hour work week. I had to do 15 “free hours” weekly to stay out of harms way. They micromanage your hours. I took a 40 minute lunch and the supervisor came to me and said you took an hour lunch, you owe the company an extra 30 minutes. During salary negotiations expect to get low balled and to hear the game of we have three other applicants who will start for the bare minimum. What do you want to do? Another con is that you are expected to use your own vehicle and you need to have highest available auto coverage. You do get .55 cents per mile but gas is $3.00 / gallon. Using our own car, that’s unnecessary wear and tear. If you take off vacation, you were going to be in a bad position because you are not bringing in money during your time off. This is the mental health field, you were supposed to care about your employees well-being.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the insurmountable case numbers. A caseload of 30 clients will allow staff to build relationships and help people. When you expect someone to handle 70 clients so that you can make more money, that’s not appropriate.

I use to always hear that the problem with mental health is that there is a lack of funding. That’s a MYTH. The funding is there however, it is going into upper management six figure salaries. While the heart and souls of your company are poorly paid.

5. "JFCS"

I worked at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and supportive supervisors

Cons

No room for growth, very little pay for the job

6. "BHT"

Former Employee - BHT in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - BHT in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team got a some of the best training in the industry. Worked with a lot of dedicated professionals who had a mission to help the those with mental health issues. You can schedule your appointments in a way that allows for a more flexible schedule.

Cons

Your career will depend not on your outcomes, but on meeting your billing quota. clients will cancel on you, yet you are still expected to meet your billing quota. If you are going to go on vacation, you have to be ready to work to exceed your billing quota so that when you get back, you don't get written up for not meeting it. The company is a none-profit, however, they work a lot like a for-profit corporation in the sense that money talks. There are some sub-par clinicians who work there, but since they are able to meet their billing quota they keep them around. Clients information is not safe guarded even though it's the law at some sites. Vacation time is industry standard, however, the pay is very low. Top tier of the company makes the highest in salaries, while the therapists and the BHT's are paid very low wages. The job is a dead end unless you have a masters degree.

Advice to Management

Stop running this company like a for-profit corporation. You don't need to have lavish administrative offices. Directors and managers come down on therapists like tyrants when therapists don't meet their billing quota. Stop this practice because you are chasing away good people who are on a mission to serve those in need.

7. "Case Manager"

I worked at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time

Pros

Lots of trainings provided, started off with good morale building aspects.

Cons

Morale slowly decreased and there was a huge turn-over rate.

"Good social-work experience!"

Former Employee - Family Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Family Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good job for someone right out of college, good company, staff and coworkers always friendly and helpful

Cons

Lots of driving, clients/children can be difficult, working evenings and weekends to accommodate client's/children's schedule

Advice to Management

I personally would have benefited from more training on paperwork/forms and when to turn them in. Sometimes it was hard to keep track of what was due daily/weekly/monthly. I feel if your staff is trained thoroughly they will succeed!

"Negative Stars if possible"

I have been working at Jewish Family & Children’s Service (Phoenix) full-time

Pros

You may get licensed with the board of behavioral health examiners

Cons

Managers are woefully incompetent.
    You have to learn to develop a false self to survive in this alternative reality in which ethics integrity and basic logic are thrown out the window.
    You will get paid far less than you should, each paycheck will feel like they are throwing pennies at your feet.
    Your health will suffer because the work life balance doesn't exist, expect to work long hours just to keep your head above the water - the caseloads and expectations are about insane as the Trump administration.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have good lawyers because with what really goes on a lawsuit is bound to happen at some point.

10. "Great entry level position into behavioral health!"

Current Employee - Behavior Coach in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Behavior Coach in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Decent pay, paid mileage, and good benefits. Can make your own schedule. Great organization!

Cons

Unbalanced schedule, flex hours most of the time (e.g. 11-7), strict billing requirements.

Advice to Management

The coaching club program is fairly new so more stabilization would be nice moving forward.