Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles Reviews | Glassdoor

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles President and CEO  Jay Sanderson
Jay Sanderson
  1. "EXCELLENT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Donor Relations Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time for more than a year

Pros

Too many to convey. Great work environment, co-workers, benefits, location, perks, and overall morale.

Cons

None at all. Truly excellent company.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2020-02-15
  2. "AVOID SHIRA ROSENBLATT - AWFUL"

Former Employee - Program in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing, smart, talented, and kind colleagues. The Federation seems to attract these people. The building itself is gorgeous with lots of amenities.

Cons

Lack of work flexibility is outrageous considering that flexibility is key and especially so in Los Angeles. Management is a joke and is always micro-managing, derogatory, praising and promoting the wrong people, playing favorites. TO ANY ONE REPORTING TO SHIRA ROSENBLATT: Avoid her like the plague. There is a reason turnover within her dept is so high. Not a single person working under her is happy. She is a total control freak who is obsessed with irrelevant details. Must always be right. Talks down to employees and belittles them. Is on a total power trip.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2020-01-16
  3. "Inept Management, Bloated Salaries"

I worked at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time

Pros

Good benefits, generous PTO with Jewiah holidays

Cons

No flexibility, antiquated policies, backward approach to supervision & management

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2019-10-31
  4. "Wish I had a better experience"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some staff were nice. Lots off free food and a lot of paid holidays. Opportunity to learn more about the Judaism.

Cons

If you are not Jewish, you are pretty much overlooked. Some staff will not even acknowledge you if you are not Jewish.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2019-09-05
  5. "Wow, worst place ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lot’s of holidays, early leave on Fridays

Cons

Abusive management. The boss is always right kinda place. None of the high end managers know what they doing, they get the job done by interns. Honestly, I have never been treated so bad before. I also so many people leave pissed off. I was miserable every day, my supervisor was the meanest bully I have ever met.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2018-11-16
  6. "Needs improvement"

I worked at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time

Pros

Some departments do good work to impact the community.

Cons

Horribly bureaucratic. Unnecessarily strict on hours (employees have to swipe in & out) because of union labor laws. Management can be difficult to work with.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2018-02-23

"Equal Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time

Pros

Allows opportunities for professional development, offers exercise classes after work (at employee's expense to be deducted from paycheck), has a small "gym" you can use, friendly staff and opporutnities to get to know people from other departments and those who work in different programs. Plenty of paid Jewish and national holidays off.

Cons

From what I can see, it's difficult to get a promotion beyond a certain point if you're not Jewish or "connected". Not the best environment if you're not actually interested in advancing Israel as a whole instead of focusing on the program you're with. Upper management makes important decisions for each program without opening it up for discussion with people who actually run the program. High staff turnover.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2016-09-19

"So much potential, terrible mismanagement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relatively stress free environment, fairly easy work when compared to for-profit businesses and agencies, low pressure. Decent work-life balance, very rarely asked to work overtime, never have to take work home with you. Great benefits for long term employees, lots of vacation days. Genuine and friendly coworkers, and overall you feel like you are contributing to a good cause.

Cons

However, when you peel back the curtain and find out more about how this organization really works from the top down, there is some serious ugly happening here. Everything said in other reviews is true - management staff is completely incompetent from the executives down through department administrators. No idea how to lead a team, how to inspire you to do your best, or how build trust between themselves and their workers. This becomes the only real cause of stress at your job, rather than the work itself. Furthermore, management in every department shows a stunning lack of understanding of current technology, social trends, and business acumen. I mean barely able to check their email. The attitude however, remains father-knows-best, and people with no experience or knowledge will tell you exactly what to do, and how to do it. This all results in a restrictive, blinded work environment that discourages critical thinking and creativity. You are expected to fall in line and follow orders to the letter, which is a poor way to operate for a non-profit with so much potential. There is no opportunity for job growth or promotion - there are people working here in the same position for over 35+ years. Unless you belong to the real inner clique, you will be seen as an outsider and kept in place by your superiors.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2016-04-20
  9. "Wonderful!"

I worked at Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles

Pros

Great people, great environment, great tools for growth.

Cons

I had no complaints. This workplace is great!

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2016-03-23

"Taught me a lot... About what to avoid in life."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You can literally do nothing all day and still look productive compared to other people there. Unlimited k cups is pretty useful as well to keep you awake in your dark cubicle. They block streaming video, but you can still kill your 8 union-mandated hours on Facebook and CNN.

Cons

There is a policy, a form, etc. for EVERYTHING at this place. HR sent out an email letting everyone know that "Federation Fun Day" was MANDATORY, and that if you didn't come on time to the company picnic, you'd lose a vacation day. The entire organization is so compartmentalized and it is so top down. If you have any idea of moving above your role at the Federation, think again. Management is terrible and ineffective. There is SO much waste at the Federation. After working here I would never donate to it... I've even convinced a relative to take it out if her will. HR periodically forgets to deduct from employees' pay checks for Union dues, health insurance, etc. and then slams the employee with a large bill after several months... Oh yeah, the HMO with a massive deductible is like $400-500/month.

Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles2016-04-22