Cover image for JibJab

77 Comments

Tech

564.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=JibJab~37910
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about JibJab? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with JibJab employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Place to Work

Nov 29, 2022 - Senior Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to Work and have freedom

Cons

None at all very good work environment

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of a kind

Apr 28, 2022 - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Jibjab is one of a kind, they really care about their employees and it's a happy oriented place not just in the app but for their team too.

Cons

When I first started working there, although I felt very comfortable, I wished there was more cultural diversity. After 3 years they have hired more diverse employees.

3. Join the JibJab team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Master the change

Dec 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in The Jungle, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of changes ... lots

Cons

May be to many changes

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Jib Jab is a solid company who takes really good care of employees

Dec 6, 2019 - Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They offer hands on training and would never talk down to you everyone is equal.

Cons

There is always room for improvement on every side of the spectrum.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Cutting edge

Apr 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tight knit team, high performing, doing work that makes people happy and teaches kids

Cons

Being in an office studio gets challenging. Wish we had more time off.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee

A solid company to grow up at

Jan 3, 2019 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gregg is a CEO you can talk to. My manager was good.

Cons

Tech absolutely rides backseat to every other department.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Supposed fun place not so fun

Sep 20, 2018 - Programmer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free Cheez-it’s, cool building, located in Marina Del Rey, California.

Cons

A lot of H-1B’s feel indentured to work for fear of being sent back home to there home countries. Perhaps because of this, there are a lot of cliches which exclude people in the organization. The schizophrenia persists even at higher levels where the division between “tech” and “production” exists in high contrast and rarely do the groups interact even for a small company. It’s all very weird like being in a divorced family under the same roof. Tech sits on one side of the building and production on the other divided by the precious children’s slides, which are meant to demonstrate how fun Jibjab is but rarely does anyone use them, only during photo op’s for visitors. Even if you are lucky enough not to have the H-1B status lorded over you, you still may find yourself fired or in the midst of a purge if you dissent or offer your own opinion to the organization or worst yet the show, the StoryBots show. People, animators included, have been fired from here over the Christmas break which is especially cold-blooded for any organization. Look to their walls and you may find telltale signs of the organizations true heart. Inside Jibjab’s building are huge banners and idols on those banners proclaiming the main, core words of the organization’s mission. One of those idols is Hannibal, the Carthaginian general who led an invasion force to Italy in the 3rd Century BC, ONLY after nearly losing 2/3 of his force including war elephants crossing the Italian alps in the dead of winter. Is this the ideal you want to hold high to work towards? A mad general blood-drunk, hell-bent on revenge with no ear for reason? Yes, there are other idols like Ghandi and Grace Hopper present to give relief but their visage was only manifested after others protested that the selection of idols only featured men with no diversity. Some of the female employees also commented that they felt uneasy in the presence of one of the brothers due to their body language. Also, John Lasseter who was fired from Disney/Pixar for sexual misconduct was invited into the Jibjab studio to give a presentation on his work, though at the time he was on leave from Disney due to the allegations before being fired. Why invite someone like that into a safe workplace when they are under investigation for such actions?

3 people found this review helpful

JibJab Response

CEO

I really appreciate your honest feedback though respectfully disagree with this assessment. I’d like to respond: * The complaint about the separation of tech and art cultures is fair but exaggerated. The one thing that differentiates our company from others is that we are equal parts art and engineering. While we have always done our best to integrate artists and engineers, the left-brain vs. right-brain worldview is real and melding those points of view takes work. While we may have not perfectly integrated the cultures, I think we do it better than any company out there. * The idea that H-1B visas are indentured is categorically false and absurd. Unlike most companies that ship their animation work overseas, we do it all here in the US. We hire the best artists in the world and support our international artists by helping them obtain visas to work in the US, including paying all related fees. We also offer a path to a green card for every international employee, specifically so that no one ever feels trapped. After 3 years, we pay for green cards, which I do not believe other studios do. Bottom line, we would never want to hold onto any employee who did not believe in what we are building. * No one has ever been fired over Christmas break. Never. And we have never fired anyone for voicing a dissenting opinion. Anyone who knows us knows that we love constructive alternative viewpoints and debate. * With regards to Hannibal, we do have a quote on the wall in support of our core value of "dedication" that reads "we will either find a way or we will make one." While my knowledge of Carthaginian history is limited, I am sure this reviewer is correct in stating that Hannibal was not a good human being. That said, I still like the sentiment in the quote. * The most troubling part of this review for me was the accusation that an employee felt uncomfortable because of mine or my brother's body language. This is a very serious accusation. While I question the veracity of this review, I do not want to diminish this comment. I don’t want anyone to ever feel uncomfortable at work (and beyond). We have built a strong culture based on mutual respect. If anyone has any concerns, we employ a third-party HR service (ADP) to receive feedback and address any issues in an anonymous, safe forum. * John Lasseter has never been invited to speak here, before or after the events that led to his exit from Disney. I have no idea where that came from. Thank you for taking the time to read this response. If you have any questions about the company, please read the other reviews, find someone who works here to talk to, or feel free to email me directly at gregg at JibJab dot com.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Experience!!

Sep 20, 2018 - Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, great atmosphere, plenty of opportunity to grow

Cons

None that i can think of!

10. 5.0

Time at JibJab

Jul 19, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, across all departments, eager to help and teach.

Cons

Not many if any, perhaps better communication at times.

2 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don’t do it

Jun 30, 2018 - Illustrator
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a cool space for sure.

Cons

There’s no organizational structure and it’s $ first. Very little employee empowerment.

4 people found this review helpful

JibJab Response

CEO

I am sorry this person had a bad experience. I'd like to take a minute to address the concerns raised in this review. There most definitely is an org structure at the company, it's just very flat. It's not the kind of place to come if you prefer middle levels managers defining and managing your tasks and responsibilities. Our company culture leans more towards self starters. It works for some, but not those who prefer a more rigid/structured environment. With regards to the company being money first, all I can say is that you do not get into Internet cartoons if your first priority is money. There are far better/easier ways to make money. We funnel all of our profits back into new art, story, and interactive experiences. Finally, with regards to diversity, this person is factually accurate. At the moment, our three execs are white men. This is unusual in the history of the company. In the past, you were more likely than not to find women minorities on the exec team. While we find ourselves here at this moment, it's important to note that the broader company benchmarks a higher % minorities than the tech industry average across every category. As the company grows, increasing diversity at all levels of the organization is a priority. It's something I take very seriously because I believe it is critical for us to be successful. Thanks for taking the time to read this response. I welcome anyone interested in working with us to talk to me directly about any of these issues. Just send a note to Gregg at JibJab dot com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 Reviews
</>Embed

JibJab Reviews FAQs

JibJab has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 58 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at JibJab to a friend and 81% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, JibJab employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at JibJab. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

79% of JibJab employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated JibJab 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at JibJab to be career development, management, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership .

Popular Careers with JibJab Job Seekers