Jiffy Lube Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2017

Jiffy Lube President Rick Altizer
Rick Altizer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learned a lot, customer relations, (in 12 reviews)

• discount oil changes, help with vehicle issues on personal vehicle (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay they dont play their employees what they are worth (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management (general manager and above) will lie to you and make promises that are rarely fulfilled (in 29 reviews)

1. "A stepping stone"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a good place to learn about car maintenance, customer contact and some sales. Bonus plan is amazing if you're able to achieve it.

Cons

Every weekend is a must to work as those are the busy times. You're only allowed to get off if you have coverage and if your location is up in sales and car count and if your district manager is feeling generous. The bonus plan they have is very generous if your location is able to maintain their customer scores, car count and sales. There is no "Good enough" you always need to do better or sell more. If there is a customer issue and you're the store manager you are responsible for speaking to the customer then entire time and resolving the issue. Look it's not a horrible place to work if you're excellent with sales, cars or customers but it's not and end game job.

Advice to Management

Employee appeciation on all levels not just management.. enforce district managers to actually do their job and deal with customers.

2. "Fun job, bad pay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Jiffy Lube (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were fun to be around. Good work environment.

Cons

Low pay, negative work ethic from some co-workers.

Advice to Management

better pay, encourage positive work ethic.

3. "Cashier/ Courtesy Tech"

Former Employee - Cashier/Courtesy Tech in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Courtesy Tech in Culver City, CA

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team and Store Manger were very nice and helpful. When in doubt ask your co workers and manager if they're nice to you. Working as a team is key.

Cons

Managers form other store or regions are extremely rude. Cussing and degrading employees. Worst of all, when employee is no longer on the clock.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with help and some importance. Keep in touch with an employee who were injured and place them back on schedule if need be.

4. "ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, WI

I have been working at Jiffy Lube (More than 8 years)

Pros

good experience to start out with

Cons

pay, customers can be rude

Advice to Management

take the side of the employee, explain tasks clearly

"Assistant"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and monthly bonus availible if you sell as much as they want you to .

Cons

Low pay they dont play their employees what they are worth . No matter how much money you make them .

Advice to Management

Get what your worth

"Too Much Pressure on Guests and CSAs"

Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed learning about vehicle maintenance and working on cars. I learned a lot of managerial and customer service skills while working with this company. There are days where you have a lot of downtime and can be low stress at times. They offer programs to become a certified State Inspector Mechanic as well as get ASE certified. There are also decent bonuses at the management level. Lube technicians even bonused off and on while I was with the company.

Cons

The pressure to get ticket average is out of control. I focused on building a customer base by telling the customers the truth about what they actually needed to get done according to their manufacturer's recommendations as well as the condition of different vehicle components. Sadly, I was by far the exception, and my customers knew it. I did not pressure customers at all and was still consistently one of the top Customer Service Advisor's in my region for years. The company actually encourages you to pressure people. They inadvertently (and to be honest, often times knowingly) encourage employees to lie and exaggerate to customers to get ticket average up because the majority of emphasis is placed on ticket average. This is insane to me, because even when a store is consistently growing in overall profit due to customer traffic because they know they have built trust with you and enjoy receiving legitimate feedback about their vehicle, that is never good enough. Profit and growing the business should be the bottom line, not trying to coerce customers into spending their last few pennies on a $150 transmission flush to get your ticket average up. This was by far my biggest issue with the company and is what made Jiffy Lube get the bad rap they get for lying to customers and scamming them. Way too much dishonesty for me. You would not believe some of the things I've seen the most "successful" managers in Jiffy Lube due. Totally unacceptable. And they company will never do a thing about it because those individuals have a high ticket average, even if they are screwing people over in the process.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing the business and bottom line profit. Everything is not about ticket average. I guarantee this company would be far more successful if you focused on building trust with customers rather than making a quick buck. I believe in the importance of vehicle maintenance and informing rather than pressuring. I have always taken car of my vehicle maintenance since working for the company simply because I now know of the importance and I know others would too if we approached them correctly, and did when I was CSAing. I ended up quitting because of getting threats of being demoted because they wanted me to get my store's ticket average up by $1. I was one of the hardest workers, best sellers, and most knowledgeable employees they had and they lost me over a buck. The day my job was threatened I began applying for other jobs. I left on very good terms, but do not wish to return. I miss the work, but I would not go back unless fundamental changes in the company's thought process of how to obtain profit changes dramatically, particularly in regards to ticket average.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Conway, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Conway, SC

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job. As an Assistant Manager for several years, I enjoyed the simplicity of the job and the team effort to get through each car. Everyone has a part that is assigned that is called your "J-Team position", and it can very from day-to-day. You have the opportunity for promotion at any given time, as it is really at your fingertips with the turnover the company has, never mind the fact that you can jump into being a Customer Service Advisor within a days training. You can receive commission if you have a certain amount of cars "reviewed under your name", but you have to be good at it. You get to meet and build relationships with many people.

Cons

The number one reason for turnover in this company from my experience is through the training. You have to go through "Jiffy Lube University", which is an online teaching courses with exams in order to be ready to go out and do the actual work at the shop. People that get through that without quitting then get into the shop and have to do "the command calls". Example: when you are ready for the lower bay technician to drain the oil, you must call out "clear to drain, Bay ___ (each one has a number) and they respond "Thank you, Bay ___". This was the point that even myself started asking myself what I was doing there for $8.50 per hour (when I was a lube technician before Assistant Manager). If you let your ego go a little bit though, you will realize there are worse things that you could be doing in a job, and try to realize that it will become second nature after a day or two. No one wants to be there anymore than you do, but it is so easy that it's almost worth putting up with the negatives. They will make you from time-to-time hold a sign on the street to try to attract customers, that is the worst part of the job. They have video surveillance on every store to watch you like you are always doing something wrong, and yes, they will call if they see you standing around and make you clean something.

Advice to Management

Let new employees learn hands on before making them go through Jiffy Lube University. Even if they do not touch anything, let them see how it works. Also, if you want "8 minute oil changes" they have more employees, this would also help store managers from being short handed once an employee hits 40 hours and you send them home for the week, leaving them short handed for nearly a day or more. I was excelled in sales but never once got commission from it because the goals are so absurd. Your Advisor's will be better at their jobs if they could hit it once in a while, not ever store can be compared to your Florida stores. Also, look at the local competitors prices for services and maybe you will see why without a $20 coupon people go elsewhere. Don't even get me started with the fact expired coupons are still valid. I do want to state that I looked up to many managers and especially the President of the company.

8. "good"

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time

Pros

worked here for 5 years and two monts

Cons

the hours here are long

"A decent starter job."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Snohomish, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Snohomish, WA

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's good if you're looking to land your first job, need some extra work, or want to accumulate some general automotive knowledge (granted you know little to none like I did).

Depending on the manager, you may or may not have flexible hours. Benefits are available to full time employees after a certain period of time (not sure how good as I never used them). I always formed a good bond with my coworkers and we generally worked well as a team.

Cons

Customers are outrageously disrespectful at times, especially if you are a woman. Upper management (general manager and above) will lie to you and make promises that are rarely fulfilled. The turnover rate is extremely high and you likely won't be with the same crew for more than a couple months. If you are hardworking they will overwork you and assign extra duties with no additional pay. We were extremely shortstaffed a lot of the time which put a ding in overall morale and performance. There is a bonus plan if you meet monthly quota but only the general manager gets the payout.

Advice to Management

Fix the bonus plan. It's unfair that only the general manager gets rewarded when the whole team plays a huge part in reaching those goals.

10. "Lube tech"

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time

Pros

Great company bad franchise

Cons

Low pay have to work to many hours to take care of your family