Jiffy Lube Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Jiffy Lube President Rick Altizer
Rick Altizer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • discount oil changes, help with vehicle issues on personal vehicle (in 25 reviews)

• Learned a lot, customer relations, (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay they dont play their employees what they are worth (in 37 reviews)

• Cut throat business in the upper management area (in 33 reviews)

"You like being a sign spinner?"

Former Employee - Lube Tech in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Lube Tech in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Work around cars. Descent hours. Co-workers easy to get along with.

Cons

The pay. They tell you that you will be a lube tech, but you are going to be spinning a sign by the side of the road a lot of the time (Think Liberty tax people.) Also, being thrown to the wolves is not a fun experience. How about taking the time to train a new employee about your "policies and procedures." It would make everybodie's life so much easier.

Advice to Management

When you tell a perspective employee that they are going to be a lube tech for $8/hr, don't add insult to injury by making them spin a sign by the side of the road. LET THEM BE A LUBE TECH. Also, being thrown to the wolves is not a fun experience. How about taking the time to train a new employee about your "policies and procedures." It would make everybodie's life so much easier.

2. "Horrible Management/Service/Pay/Hours. Fear/intimidation based Mgmt, number pushers, etc."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus paid monthly based on car count and budget net sales forecasts. However, it is a moving and ever changing target. Difficult to predict. Time fly's when the crew is working together when the traffic is good.

Cons

Upper mgmt does not get it. Their company wide email rants are multiple times per day. The best I can say about these emails is if/when they give a compliment or pat on the back, they also make sure to say 3-4 things which in essence slap whoever they are referencing in the face. There is no tact and there is little to zero one-on-one reprimands... they air the dirty laundry right there in company wide emails for all to see. To me, the so called pep-talk emails are more 'chest beating' than anything. The reaction from ANYONE who reads the emails, regardless whom is addressed, is total shock and dismay. "Really..? I cannot believe the big boss said that on a company public email." And... it's like this almost every single day.

Everyone there thinks they understand cars, oil, sales etiquette, customer service, etc. This is ANYTHING but the truth. Employee's steal oil changes for their own cars like clockwork, too and steal hours. There are MANY young punk kids working there. They're searching for any moment to hide around a corner so they can text and play with their cell phones. Turnover rate is off the charts high, as upper mgmt is constantly pressuring store mgr's and taking everything out on them. When DM's or higher make mistakes, they blame the down line instead of owning up to the mistake themselves.

It is NEVER good enough. Turnover is also high with lower level, as they all know that the company does not care in the least about the employee, and it is blatantly obvious even to the least educated folks. Company has gone bankrupt more than once, too. Customers are always angry with the price... ALWAYS. Quite often, manual overrides have to take place to honor a current coupon which the system is not accepting. Their Point of Sale system is ALWAYS malfunctioning and you have to call the I.T department for assistance. This eats massive amounts of time and costs money, as you end up having to comp a customer to make them happy, due to the time factor in the system error causing everything to stop.

Advice to Management

Enforce the Cell phone policy. Be consistent with schedules and car count/net sales forecasts. Stop with the $10 off all day discounts. Either adjust your prices or shut up. Customers are leaving in herds over this sort of stuff. Especially when they can go literally around the corner and get the job done for half the price. In those cases, you are NOT going to sell synthetic oils to them. Sure you have to make a profit, but 300-350% mark up on services such as Transmission fluid exchange is not good business, it's holding people at gun-point, so to say.

You get a lot of your problems because you disgruntle employees and store managers to the point that they're all looking for another job and everything associated with the store/customers declines because these employees have given up caring because they have grown to hate the company. The customers know this, and know there is little care for them by the company, either. All they say and see is greed and they complain in their anger that the economy is too tight for them to afford to do business there. Even in the more affluent areas where I not only worked, but was desired by the company to work in the affluent areas because they know I'm one and they know I know how to talk to these people. Certainly there are the times when customers just call to play games and threaten to make trouble out of nothing so that they can get a free oil change.

Rather than terminating, start giving employees in mgmt 'exit interviews' when you terminate, and I assure that you will learn so much more about what is going on and what the issues are than what you already think that you know. The company is not always right and the employee is not always wrong. (Otherwise, why have you gone bankrupt more than once in 10 years, dumb a**es..?) Numbers are not the entire story, at least not when it comes to employees. Many of your Mystery Shoppers either lie or greatly embellish and stretch the truth in their reports, too. I've been there, seen the reports and remembered the shopper/occasion. Other managers in other stores have said the same about some shoppers.

"I wouldnt work here OR get my car serviced here"

Former Employee - Courtesy Technician in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Technician in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I dunno what "pros" THIS place would have...

Cons

I worked here at 18 back in 2001 and i was only there for 4 months, and I must say this had to be one of THE MOST childish jobs ive ever worked at. All my coworkers were very ignorant and most of them were still in high school. They treated ME like I was a total idiot who couldnt do ANYTHING right and I was getting yelled at every minute. I went to work at JL just to get away from walmart and these people were no better, in fact they were worse! I only worked here to get more auto experience and the only thing they ever really let me do is courtesies, like airing up tires, vacuuming out the cars and cleaning off windows. I never did get to change oil there. I eventually quit that job cause I got deathly sick of how I was being treated. I just thought; "If the only thing I have to look forward to by coming to work everyday is getting chewed out every minute for small stuff then Im just gonna seek life elsewhere cause a job that pays this little is not worth it." This company is notorious for screwing people out of their money anyway. I only put 2008 as my last year of employment there cause 2002 wasnt an option.

Advice to Management

Why give them any advice when their not gonna listen anyway?

"Former Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT

I have been working at Jiffy Lube part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good standardized training program. Good health insurance for mgmt

Cons

Treat you like garbage. Even store managers get treated like they are nothing and can be replaced within the hour.

Advice to Management

Treat them as if you respect them. It has been proven if your team is behind you sales are greater than if they are only doing the job out of fear.

"oil changer"

Pros

good hours good lunch breaks

Cons

low pay low pay low pay

"Lies upon li lies"

Current Employee - Lube Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lube Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty much only work when theres cars in the shop free cofee

Cons

management lies about everything. Was told I would be given rises every three mounhts 1yr later I was told by the manager heartland is never giving anyone rises. The shop is fall apart no hot water and birds are living in the bays . No hot water for over 5moiths. And I work 8_7 with no lunch breaks

Advice to Management

u get what u pay for. You want $9s an hour type employes dont get mad when they only give u $9 an hour work

"Overworked and Undervalued"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint George, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint George, UT

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work was straight forward yet educational. I learned a lot while working here.

Cons

The management pushed every employee to their limit. They tried to get as much work as possible with as little compensation/recognition as possible. They motivated people with the fear of losing their jobs and treated the employees as disposable. They were so focused on increasing sales that they didn't care how they achieved it.

Advice to Management

Positive motivation can be much more effective than negative motivation. When you treat every employee as disposable then you will only get the bottom of the barrel for employees.

"Southlubes in and around Jacksonville,FL are crooks"

Former Employee - Lube Tech in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Lube Tech in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No background checks I worked with pedo's, convicts, sexist, racist, and rude employees and management however most of them were plesant to come to work with.

You can get a job no matter what walk of life you have, if you are willing to work.
    Free oil changes if you can ever get a district manager to ok it.

Half off on select services.

Awesome co-workers and lower management. They aren't so bad, since you know its their bosses having them act the way they do.

Cons

LOW pay one time raise after 90 days and completion of computer based training
    Getting paid $7.79 /hr with no breaks and only get "lunches" when there is no cars to service to keep labor down. To also keep labor down you work of the clock if they get behind. Scheduled hours are not the hours you will always work. If there are no cars someone goes home to save money. You might end up taking a 3 hour lunch. You will eat and work at same time if there is no time for lunches.

No benefits unless you are in management.

Constant dirty, loud, and hot & humid work conditions.

Constantly being rushed to do jobs with broken equipment or missing tools for the job at hand.

Ripping off customers for less than advertised fluid capacities. IE requiring 4.2 quarts and being told to only use 4 or use different oil than the one sold on paper to save money.

Don't always think you will use new oil filters you don't. Managers blame car issues on the customers to prevent issues for issues.

Standing on the corner waving sign to get customers. Being all in black on a hot day is torture

Numerous EPA violations, due to aging, broken equipment that leaks on the floors. Having to pour chemicals mixed with mop water down drains to city sewage. Tanks are full or everything is just poured into the oil and coolant only tanks, like heavy duty concentrated degreasers, various oils and lubricants, transmission fluids, coolant and fuel that spill during services . Being told to dispose of used rags from services or cleaning into city garbage that are contaminated with oil, transmission fluid, and fuel and cleaners.

"Burn sleeves" keep hot fluids on skin and hurt a lot. The are usually slippery floors even with the proper and required shoes, during work hours. Leaky lower bay make it worse.

Contaminated fluids are told to be used for services, thus reducing the effectiveness and point of getting said services that you will then have to "sign off" on. IE A bucket of differential fluid getting water in them and contaminating them. Getting told by management to use them after a few squirts or bleeding out to get it to look right during inspection.

Upper Management has conference calls and franchise wide communications, with store managers to publicly have "chest beating" or "putting in the spotlight". They do this to either boast about 1 person and berate others for not meeting that days goals instead of doing it in person.
    They make multiple calls a day for "numbers" to see if they sold items. This is to enforce that either numbers come up or you lose your bonus. Also this will have someone home or on extended lunch to reduce labor and cost of goods to make budgets, that they want met. They constantly move managers around from other stores to get try and get better "numbers". If they are not met, employees get a rough time for not getting car counts and extra services, because this is how their bonuses work there.

Store Managers are salaried, and forced to be at at work all times when scheduled. They are unable to leave for food or drinks, even if they work all day from 7:30 am to 7:30 or later on some days to save on labor costs since they don't count against numbers. Assistant Managers are also in this position if they work on store managers day off.

Having to pay for, and maintain all company uniforms provided by them at high costs in the first few paychecks. The shoes you have to buy from them only get a 30 day warranty. After that if they have a hole, ripped sole, or paint on them, you have to buy another pair of them. The shirts keep stains and smells on them after you use them a long time, even after laundering them. The safety glasses that you have to wear at all times in the bays fog up, get dirty, and are easily scratched up. After this they reduce visibility in under lit places, such as the "lower bay" or under car hoods in hard to reach places with low light. This is an easy way to get burnt this way.

Having to work with the threats of being fired or get hours cut, they tell us to rush work or cut corners. It seemed daily after awhile, if management feel it is not going fast enough. Offers of advancement or increased pay, in lieu of working long hours, without breaks or off the clock to complete working on cars or other tasks seems to be a daily reminder of how you are just a
    means to an end by upper management and higher.

Advice to Management

Instead of changing prices, and using coupons all the time, keep services the same prices or bundled all year. This prevents customers from going elsewhere for business since they feel its a gimmick.

Please, buy , maintain, and have all of the proper tools needed for a job. There is no reason to not have a 13mm 14mm wrenches and sockets available for service. Also not buying tools that break all the time, like the filter cups for the oil filters or the sockets that split and the wrenches that break their tips during use would make work much more efficient.

Please, quit expecting your employees to be o.k. with no breaks "fake" extra long or no lunches everyday its not fair and more than likely illegal. You can't expect us to take low pay, no benefits, and miserable conditions and be professional around customers all the time. We get fed up with treatment like this.

Pay your workers a decent wage they can live on. and not just a 25 cent raise after 90 days. Promising there is advancement in a company and no more raises after a year until you take a management position and complete your computer training. Giving some benefits to employes that are not way over priced or lacking any real point in having.

Please, make work conditions more bearable, having a fan to cool off during super hot days makes it easier to work faster and comfortably. Do something with the floors to make them less slippery when the "lower bay" floods or rain enters the bays floors. I have seen a few people and employes slip and fall due to this.

Try have incentives for meeting goals sales or car counts for the day as an employee. Servicing 40 cars a day with 3 or less people is an accomplishment. Gatorade atleast for those super hot days when you cant leave to eat or get something cold to drink would be a start.

Understand numbers are important, not just car counts and sales but also the efforts to get those numbers. Complaining that you are not getting your moneys worth out of your employees
    when the numbers are down for goals its not right as we can't make people come in for service. It It is not enjoyable to stand by the road all in black waving a sign in rain or shine all day and get complaints of no revenue. We know we need to try to meet car counts and sale, but atleast know we are trying to do as you ask. to earn our pay.

Don't try providing these extra services that most employees hardly ever do or know how to do earn a quick buck. Brake jobs and lighting either take too long or can be done improperly but can be done with proper training. You can use your employes who do "extra services" for helping customers and thank them. We agreed to work for you to make you money, don't penalize us for fixing parts or installing new ones. This makes them happy and should not be penalized if they offer to tip or offer to buy them a drink. If they don't have other cars during store hours on company property, this sort of thing can generate positive advertising and revenue.

Please make it possible to waive certain safety equipment use. Those safety glasses are the worst. If we can sign documents about working in conditions of smoke, emissions and heat, we could make this possible to be in charge of taking care of our own eyes.

Reward employees who are willing to travel on their own dime and time, to cover a shift of a store they don't live by as a favor to you. It's only fair.

"Long hours, no breaks, and low pay"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than no job... that's about it. They will hire even if you have little to no experience, but will that against you to prevent promotions or raises.

Cons

Work in 100 degree temperatures for 12 hours a day and sometimes no breaks. Constantly pushed to work faster and talked down to. If you are in sale they press you to sell even if they are unnecessary. They will guilt you about anything you ask for like a day off, break, go home at your scheduled time and not stay an extra 2 hour, and fix your hours worked because they some how reduced. Jiffy Lube starts wages low for "training" but won't give you a raise and promise you bonuses which don't actually exist for 99% of the employees. Don't make the same mistake I did by taking this job.

Advice to Management

Update your resume and move on like I plan to.

10. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Jiffy Lube full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good job for some experience

Cons

Long hours, not very good pay.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about about your employees