Jim Palmer Trucking Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Darrel Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company still growing but will one day stand alone away from Prime"

Current Employee - Team Member in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Team Member in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Jim Palmer Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driver's are treated with respect and concern. Driver's are NOT just a number, they are treated like family.

Cons

Must pull primarily Prime load's. Prime has more problems with getting their load's Right. Long waits on docks for shippers and receivers, wrong directions, wrong load information. Prime has gotten too big too fast with no checks and balances in place. Their school is turning into a Driver mill.

Advice to Management

Put checks and balances in place to prevent high turnover. Have Sales and Dispatcher's and Trip Planners spend time on the road to understand exactly what it's like out here on the road, to get wrong information and road conditions.

"Great trucking company"

Current Employee - Company Driver OTR in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Company Driver OTR in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Jim Palmer Trucking full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay (starting @ 40 cents a mile). Great family environment and treat you like a human (not truck #). All brand new trucks with APUs.. great miles and everyone is friendly @ the teminal.

Cons

Not as much home time. I see home 3-5 days a month. BUT if your looking to run miles, this company is for you

Advice to Management

n/a

"The place I call home"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Billings, MT

Pros

I've been in the trucking industry for over 33 years and I have found a company that I will retire at . I have been treated honestly and fairly and if there is a problem there is an honest open door policy, don't know too many places that you can walk right in the owner's office and sit right down and feel at home . It is a family run organization and they treat you like family, and like most families we have are ups and downs , way more ups then downs. If you're willing to work hard and are self-motivated this is a place for you to come there's not a lot of handholding but if you have a problem they stepped right in to resolve the problem . The Wilson family has always done right by me and for that I'm grateful .

Cons

The only downside is that I didn't come to work here earlier

Advice to Management

You can't mess with perfection so I have no advice for them

"Confused"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Missoula, MT

Pros

I wasn't there long enough to list any pros. I was excited about coming there but after a month on the road, I started asking questions.

Cons

The trainer I was with is a ignorant. He got mad when I asked legit questions. I texted the company's manager and recruiter with a list of things that I felt were disgraceful. When I got back to the school, the fleet manager made excuses for my trainer because he is a liar. The fleet manager does not and will not listen to reason. The will not give you anymore training and will dismiss you quick from the school. They say they treat you like family. Must be an "abusive family". The recruiters are butt kissers. They will not admit when they are wrong nor will they apologize. How many students have they treated like this? I'm surprised they are still in business. My trainer tried to have me perform a maneuver on the freeway that could had someone killed. Thank God I didn't do it. He yelled and cussed me out because I did hesitate. Too many times I wanted to whoop his butt every time we stopped somewhere. He is also nasty. He keeps a jug of pee in his truck and will not empty it at each stop. Nasty!! DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!!!!

Advice to Management

You MOFO's need to start paying attention to your students' needs.

"driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Jim Palmer Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family working atmosphere. Your not a number

Cons

None really if u like being over the road.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great hard work yall do

"Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelanto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adelanto, CA

I have been working at Jim Palmer Trucking (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company and nice people

Cons

hauls prime freight which seems that prime have to much control over loads driver gets

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same

"I've seen worse, but I've certainly dealt with much better. It's paying the bills for now."

Current Employee - Driver in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Driver in Missoula, MT

Pros

They let you do your own thing (for the most part) as long as you do your job.
    Mediocre pay scale.
    Drivers can get miles here.

Cons

Lack of communication w/drivers.
    Inefficient use of equipment and time (driver can't plan ahead on schedule).
    Lack of respect.
    Clueless dispatchers who have never been drivers themselves (don't know what their drivers are dealing with and don't seem to care).
    Deception, Intimidation and retaliatory tactics from several dispatchers.

Advice to Management

Hire better, more qualified employees.
    Better pay and benefits (employee retention not recruitment) should be a top priority.
    Adjust the company attitude toward service and respect for employees as well as the customers.

"Jim Palmer Trucking is a pretty good company to work for!"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Missoula, MT

Pros

Lots of miles. They keep me moving. They stay off your back.

Cons

Low pay per mile. Low rate of pay increase.

Advice to Management

Allow ways for drivers to talk with higher up bosses, so that we can voice disatisfaction with Driver Managers.

"Not What it seemed!"

Current Employee - OTR
    Current Employee - OTR

Pros

Recruiters are friendly
    Home time is okay and they work with you

Cons

As a driver you are responsible for ALL comdata fees and these do add up. There is also a rider fee of $21.00 a week. You are pretty much controlled by Prime. I put in my 2 weeks notice and have done more sitting than driving. I have yet to break $1200 a week after taxes. Depending on what part of the country you are in will depend on the amount of time sitting. It doesn't matter if you are at the top of the list or not you are NOT guaranteed a load before the person who has been waiting less. You will always get a text book answer from dispatchers. There is a night dispatcher who will put you on hold if he doesn't want to talk to you. Then you get hung up on. The recruiters are NOT up front with you 100%. They take care of those who have been there for a long time and are really feeding off of Allie Knight. There are just too many hands in the pot at Jim Palmer. Currently Jim Palmer is owned by Wil-Trans out of Missouri and they are all leased on with Prime. If you do NOT like Prime this may not be the company for you. The Missoula dispatchers also have to go through Prime.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if they were honest and up front about all the fees before you signed on to be with the company. They all like to point fingers at all others instead of working towards a solution. Dispatchers, it should be MANDATORY they ride with a trucker for at least a month or 2 and then they will have a much better idea of what it is like.

10. "Bad company"

I worked at Jim Palmer Trucking full-time

Pros

There nice to your face, but the equipment is crap, and they won't pay u your final wages.

Cons

There equipment is crap, they make delivery apps u can't make, they claim to have never received the paper work for my last run and tried to get out of paying my last paycheck.

Advice to Management

None, ur just a cog in there machine and easy to replace.