JiuQu English Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Have always wanted to work from home (in 24 reviews)

• The pay is great for minimal hours (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic work"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for JiuQu is really wonderful. I've been working for them for over half a year and I've not had problems with management; they really easy to work with and really some of the friendliest bosses (if not people) I've worked with. And I love teaching the kids! They're so cute and so much fun! I like teaching the children that can speak a little more English, but I know other teachers who like teachers beginners more. You'll get every experience. It's also really great part-time pay. Base pay is $16 but super easy to reach bonuses to get $20 an hour. I also move a lot, so it's really convenient and nice to have steady work wherever I go (even though it's just part time). I know I'll always have work and income. It's also great work experience, especially if you want to continue doing ESL work (which I am pursuing). For many, it'll just be part-time work, but it is literally the best part-time work you'll ever find.

Cons

-Depending on where you live (the further west in the US the earlier you have to get up to teach) it can be very early in the morning, which can be a little rough if you go to bed late.

-There can be some minor technical issues with the software. But usually, it's on the students' end. For example, their mics won't work so you can't hear them or their camera's broken so you can see them. It can make things a little more difficult.

Advice to Management

Some of the technical could be ironed out and just a few of the lessons flow in a rather awkward way (activities are kind of disconnected). However, I noticed this is resolved already in latter lessons.

2. "Amazing Kids! Amazing Parents! Amazing Management!"

Current Employee - English Teacher in North Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - English Teacher in North Muskegon, MI

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A typical day at JiuQu/QKids usually only lasts a couple of hours. You show up five minutes before class in the teacher program provided by JiuQu/QKids and teach approximately 8-12 activities per session. The kids are amazing and so smart! A lot of the students also have English-speaking parents present to help along their kiddos! it is nice to see such great support from the parents :)

Management is amazing. Everyone I have interacted with has been very professional and always willing to help! They are very good at keeping their teachers happy!!! I can't stress this enough: if you have an issue, say something so they can help!!!

Workplace culture is laid back yet professional. I feel almost no stress working here because everything is so well organized and all of the employees are so knowledgeable.

The most enjoyable part is working with the children! They are so fun, smart and have vibrant personalities! After teaching in elementary schools for the past two years, this opportunity has been much more flexible and stress-free. I highly recommend interviewing with JiuQu/QKids if you are looking for consistent part-time work that pays on time!

Cons

I have yet to see any cons. Management is the most flexible and supportive I have ever had in my professional career!

Advice to Management

You guys ROCK!!! Keep up the great work!

3. "Teacher"

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time

Pros

They are upfront about everything. I am honored to be part of the QKIDS family. The pay fr this rewarding part time gig is great

Cons

There are no cons for me to report

Advice to Management

Keep hiring your great support staff and trainers

4. "Fun work"

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time

Pros

Good pay for part time work
    Somewhat flexible
    Very friendly staff

Cons

When school is in session, less shifts available

5. "Good Side Job"

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time

Pros

-Helpful support staff
    -the children are adorable and more often than not, well behaved.
    -good pay (16-20 dollars an hour depending on incentive recieved)
    -incentive is easy to get

Cons

-low available work hours
    -technical problems that are commonplace for any long distance connection

6. "Great!"

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time

Pros

You get to pick your own schedule, they are pretty flexible with dates.
    And the children are amazing!

Cons

Sometimes supper takes a long time to respond or they never respond at all. There are also a few system glitches every now and then.

7. "ESL teacher"

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time

Pros

Very nice place to work

Cons

Not enough hours; early hours

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful students, earnest support, fantastic teaching software, and stress-free. Decent pay.

Cons

Occasionally, there is a slight language barrier between you and the Chinese support team. At the same time, they are wonderful in attempting to help. Also, not paid for down-time in-between classes.

Advice to Management

Offer more time slots to teach!

"Pay is NOT $20/hr, more like $12/hr"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at JiuQu English part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like how the lessons are set up. It's very game like and interactive. It means that I can focus on teaching and all of the fun game elements, stickers, rewards are built-in to the software. The kids are cute & fun (for the most part), and it's rewarding work.

QKids staff are really understanding about emergencies, illnesses, etc.

Cons

COMMUNICATION

It can be hard to communicate with Qkids staff as many of them do not speak English too well.

SOFTWARE

The software is glitchy and almost everyone has issues with it at one point or another.

NUMBER OF CLASSES & RATINGS

The number of classes you get is based on your weekly ratings from parents. Here's the email they sent out:

-- 1st Tier: Rating> 4.75, classes will be supplied to the utmost amount.
    -- 2nd Tier: 4.66<Rating<4.74, classes will be fewer than the 1st tier.
    -- 3rd Tier: Rating< 4.65, classes will be even fewer than 2nd tier.
    【Teachers in 3rd tier will be advised again by trainers and be re-assessed the qualification.】

Unfortunately even the "utmost amount" no longer equates to a full schedule. Furthermore this rating system causes so much stress among the teachers. Especially because having a few bad parent ratings can set you into tier 2 or tier 3, and then your classes (& therefore income) for the next week drops significantly. Not very good for stress levels or morale.

PAY

The pay is not $20/hour!!! You get paid a base rate of 8 dollars per class. They say each class is 30 minutes, but showing up & interacting with students 5 minutes early is mandatory. At the end of the lesson, you can't go to the last screen where you congratulate the students and say goodbye until the official class timer has reached 30 minutes. So you're not actually done with the class until several minutes after the 30 minute mark. So each class is actually 38 minutes long with a 2-minute break at the end. You're getting paid 8 dollars for a 40-minute class.

Let's say you're teaching two classes in a row, here's how it would break down:
    7:53 am - Log in to the software to make sure it's working.
    7:55 am - Log in to your first class. You are working starting NOW -- saying hello, playing games, singing with the students, etc.
    8:00 am - Class technically starts.
    8:30 am - Class technically ends and you can go on to the last screen.
    8:33 am - You've finished saying goodbye and congratulating the students, you exit the classroom.
    8:35 am - Enter your next classroom.
    8:40 am - Class technically starts.
    9:10 am - Class technically ends.
    9:13 am - You leave the classroom.

So that was two 30-minute classes that took up 1 hour, 20 minutes of your time. (Lucky you, you even had a 2 minute break in the middle!). Depending on your weekly bonuses, you'd make between $16 and $20 for that time. That comes out to $12-15 per hour.

Now, that's a lot different than the $20/hour they're touting. And I'm not even taking into account any time that you spend preparing for these classes -- reviewing the activities, gathering props, etc. After you've been at it a while, you probably won't have to prepare much at all, but in the beginning that time can be significant.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the pay rate.

10. "Great company structure and growth potential!"

I have been working at JiuQu English full-time

Pros

Everyone can be a decision maker.

Cons

Communication between different departments can be a bit tricky.