JoS. A. Bank Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Doug Ewert
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management doesn't listen much unless it's a customer complaint (in 59 reviews)

• Not really any work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

"Assitant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are usually friendly. Usually the days go by fast because there is always something to do.

Cons

Commission based, The management needs to be trained more because they did not know how to run a store productively or cooperatively. Commission was unfair and sometimes it felt as if my pay was shorted.

Advice to Management

Don't request any days off you'll never get approved. Also the company is ran very unprofessionally so make sure you have a professional background to turn your specific location around.

"Excellent place because of the Customers....not the management!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

Excellent upscale clientele in a wonderful town. Customers are very appreciative of the little extras that we do to provide the best service possible...customers are very satisfied with the products and overall, have a very satisfying experience. The caliber of employees is excellent! I've never worked with such a fine group!

Cons

Shipments are planned months in advance...dissatisfied employees leave and the stock begins to pile up. Multiple complaints to management go unheard and we are told to "do more with less", which takes commission and sales out of our pocket. While we are putting stock away and opening boxes, customers go it alone and tend to walk out. Hiring a stock person would help so the sales associates can do their real job, which is to sell clothes! On many occasions, there have been two or three customers for each sales associate and the management continue to harp and badger about putting "the stock away" or performing "suit counts". Management lives in "never-never-land" and regardless what they say...we cannot do "more with less"...but we can walk out and find a better job! No one deserves to be treated like a slave!

Advice to Management

Treat employees with dignity! If the stock continues to pile up, then coordinate with the shippers and put a stop to it...at least temporarily until employees have time to "catch up". Stop harping on suit counts, traveler creases and other BS that doesn't matter....as long as our sales are UP, then stop complaining! Management has been the driving factor as to why our employees, including myself continue to "leave"...we just can't take it anymore...especially when an employee's sales continue to increase, yet his commission goes down by 0.5% for some strange reason! WE ARE NOT SLAVES!!