JoS. A. Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Ewert

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management can be a pain at times (in 52 reviews)

• There isn't a work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I had a really good team, until they switched management in the region
    - Flexible hours for the most part

Cons

- Management changes constantly
    - Customers suck
    - You cannot request off during any holiday

Advice to Management

Stop moving bad managers around because teams don't want to work with them. Just sever ties and find someone new.

2. "Assistant store manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commision was good if you sold over a certain ammount, good ammount of down time, you used to get a paycheck every Friday, employee discount day, buy clothes on free credit taken from your paycheck

Cons

Alot, don't bother trying to advance, tuxedo rentals come in horrible shape, they smell and are well passed their service life. Most stores are so understaffed you can not take any time off. Upper management doesn't listen much unless it's a customer complaint. Depending on how much you sell is how much they let you get away with. Employee discount is a joke unless you wait for the employee discount days. Don't expect to leave work at work.

Advice to Management

Stop seeing your older employees as an expense, stop lowering the quality of the clothes, stop changing the sales every 3 day then get mad when we honor it. Lower staffing numbers don't mean higher profits just means lost revenue.

"Great Learning Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate to have a manager who took the time to pour into me sales best-practices. Lots of opportunity to work one-on-one with customers to develop useful client-facing skills.

Cons

Unless working as a store manager, this is not a long-term opportunity.

5. "Assitant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are usually friendly. Usually the days go by fast because there is always something to do.

Cons

Commission based, The management needs to be trained more because they did not know how to run a store productively or cooperatively. Commission was unfair and sometimes it felt as if my pay was shorted.

Advice to Management

Don't request any days off you'll never get approved. Also the company is ran very unprofessionally so make sure you have a professional background to turn your specific location around.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Regional Director in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Jos. A Bank USED TO be refutable company that truly prized their employees. It wasn't odd to find people in every store that had been with the company 10-30 years! They USED TO buy everyone lunch on black Fridays and major sales so that their people could perform well and be appreciated for their hard work. They USED TO fly top sales people from every store to exotic locations around the world. They USED TO pay everyone an HONEST wage for work performed. Each store was a place that locals would go to get the BEST informed suit salesperson for what ever occasion arose.

Cons

MW bought them and it turned into the laughing stock of the suit industry! They took a once great company and turned it to dust. They hired the kids who were running their own failing business to oust the true knowledgeable people that were in the stores. They brought their pushy cell phone sales children to destroy an industry.

Advice to Management

Sell it to competent people! Your business model is a joke and you're on the border of bankruptcy. Please please sell!

7. "Smart dresser"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential for the energetic person

Cons

Varied hours and weekend work

"It was ok..."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Evanston, IL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it wasn't extraordinarily taxing, but my location was low traffic, so that probably had something to do with it...

Cons

sometimes when pinning the shirts, people would be reckless, so i'd end up getting jabbed *no pun intended* a bunch when organizing things.

"assistant mgr"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people I work with have become family. My schedules have been fair and flexible. The pay has been consistent thru my time here, not a lot of highs or lows. The end of the year Holidays present opportunity for much higher commissions. My immediate manager is young but experienced within the company and has been very helpful. Upper management (RSM) has been helpful and fair. The RSM has loads of experience and has helped me at times on the Sales floor in a natural way that was seamless to the customer. From personal experience not every Regional Manager would step in to help in a sales on the floor, I like that he's not above lending a hand in ANY way that helps one of his stores or one of his staff. I find myself fortunate to be in a Region and store that is exceptional on every level.

Cons

There were times when due to circumstances beyond anyone's control that the hours became too many for my family. For quite some time it was every Sunday just because we couldn't find dependable staff. Not a lot of "Cons" here really. Speaking up for some Sundays off simply did what was needed.

Advice to Management

Teaching communication from the top down and the bottom up is necessary. Mostly communication from the bottom up can be a little intimidating just because its a huge corporation. Upper management may want to consider rewarding great ideas monetarily from store level on up thru the corporate ladder. There are lot of smart experienced educated people on every level with great ideas that could be used to improve our company. Many great companies will reward great ideas from any level so why not us too!

"Very poor leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to meet good people in the store.
    Decent employee discount.
    Benefits are competitive.
    Really very little I can say positive about this company any more.

Cons

Can't make a living in most stores at most positions.
    Men's Wearhouse has ruined this company. They don't want experienced, talented salesmen. They want young, inexperienced, insecure kids and lots of them. They train you to sell by literally reading a script to every customer. They are banking on the money they are saving by hiring people who will work for less than a livable wage, will make up for the revenue they will lose from nobody knowing what they are doing. Yes, reading their script is a better strategy than some teenager fumbling over their words, trying to sell something he knows nothing about.

Advice to Management

Stop running off the people who built this company. Experience and ability is valuable. Your strategy of cutting cost by weeding out anyone who makes a decent living in your stores will provide the short term boost in stock price you so desperately need but if you continue to enforce selling from a script you will wind up with an entire company full of people who don't know how to have a conversation. I know you don't believe it but that is a valuable skill in a sales position. If you continue on this path this company will not exist in a few short years.

11. "Not a company to live and grow with"

Current Employee - MIT/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - MIT/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are fun to assist.

Cons

Company is intensely focused of sales and not on employees happness or well being.

Advice to Management

Consider employees an asset.