JoS. A. Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Ewert

Pros
  • The employee discount is to die for (in 23 reviews)

• Great work environment, Regional directors are conscious of the team aspect of sales and do everything they can to make themselves one of the team (in 16 reviews)

1. "Work Environment"

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time

Pros

The small work environment makes it feel like a family. You learn to rely on each other which can help things flow smoothly.

Cons

Sometimes its easy for there to be a shortage in help so it can be easy to feel stressed and overwhelmed.

"It was ok..."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Evanston, IL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it wasn't extraordinarily taxing, but my location was low traffic, so that probably had something to do with it...

Cons

sometimes when pinning the shirts, people would be reckless, so i'd end up getting jabbed *no pun intended* a bunch when organizing things.

"Display Specialist"

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time

Pros

National Co. structured, good co network

Cons

I was cut from full time to 8-16 hrs/mo/store over 2 stores & then nationwide layoff. Only a handfull of full timers still exist in this position

Advice to Management

Ever since Men's Warehouse Mgt took over operations things went downhill fast except for adding custom suits to the lineup. JAB customers are quite different from Men's Warehouse & don't like being treated as such. The Co has always provided superior service & MW has watered that down at every level & the customers know it & many left. Things are in such Managerial Flux there is no employee confidence in their future there at any position They are closing more stores than opening, which I'm not aware of if there are any.

"It depends on what you make of the situation."

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work in the right location you can take home over $800 a week in commission alone.
    As a college student you can meet some influential, local people and get their cards and contact info.
    (if your manager likes you) you can get weekends off or nights.

Cons

If the store you work in isn't busy you will not make enough money to live on.
    If you are not scheduled for the busy times, you will not make money.
    The "Employee Discount" is absolutely horrid, customers get a better price on many items.
    I had to quit this job because they refused to give me a schedule that would allow me to continue my college education. I was working over 40 hours a week while attempting to be a full time student, while other employees had nights and weekends off.

Advice to Management

Give sales people more of a role in sales.

6. "Meh"

Pros

Flexible schedule with a good discount.

Cons

Backwards inventory system and unreasonable expectations. Limited hours available for scheduling, so difficult to take sick time if no one can cover.

7. "Decent/Not Great... Recognize achievements"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Decent commission structure, pretty good discount, the people that work there are mostly good people and fun to work with, most customer interaction is fun

Cons

Retail, dealing with certain customers, benefits and promotion opportunities could be better.
    Store and Regional managers are favored and groomed for promotion, not based off of performance

Advice to Management

Find better ways to recognize talent in employees than time with company. Promote the best employees, not whomever has been with the company the longest

"assistant mgr"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people I work with have become family. My schedules have been fair and flexible. The pay has been consistent thru my time here, not a lot of highs or lows. The end of the year Holidays present opportunity for much higher commissions. My immediate manager is young but experienced within the company and has been very helpful. Upper management (RSM) has been helpful and fair. The RSM has loads of experience and has helped me at times on the Sales floor in a natural way that was seamless to the customer. From personal experience not every Regional Manager would step in to help in a sales on the floor, I like that he's not above lending a hand in ANY way that helps one of his stores or one of his staff. I find myself fortunate to be in a Region and store that is exceptional on every level.

Cons

There were times when due to circumstances beyond anyone's control that the hours became too many for my family. For quite some time it was every Sunday just because we couldn't find dependable staff. Not a lot of "Cons" here really. Speaking up for some Sundays off simply did what was needed.

Advice to Management

Teaching communication from the top down and the bottom up is necessary. Mostly communication from the bottom up can be a little intimidating just because its a huge corporation. Upper management may want to consider rewarding great ideas monetarily from store level on up thru the corporate ladder. There are lot of smart experienced educated people on every level with great ideas that could be used to improve our company. Many great companies will reward great ideas from any level so why not us too!

9. "Department manager"

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time

Pros

Worked with easy going people. Store manager was flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Commission structure made it difficult to make commission unless you worked full time during busy hours.

10. "Key Holder"

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Laid back atmosphere
    enjoyed the company at first, able to truly learn the art of fit and tailoring, but began to realize it was hard to sell the product.

Cons

Terrible customer service helpline, since the purchase from mens wearhouse, you cant get ahold of anyone and many of the orders are a complete disaster.

Advice to Management

Nothing

11. "Very poor leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to meet good people in the store.
    Decent employee discount.
    Benefits are competitive.
    Really very little I can say positive about this company any more.

Cons

Can't make a living in most stores at most positions.
    Men's Wearhouse has ruined this company. They don't want experienced, talented salesmen. They want young, inexperienced, insecure kids and lots of them. They train you to sell by literally reading a script to every customer. They are banking on the money they are saving by hiring people who will work for less than a livable wage, will make up for the revenue they will lose from nobody knowing what they are doing. Yes, reading their script is a better strategy than some teenager fumbling over their words, trying to sell something he knows nothing about.

Advice to Management

Stop running off the people who built this company. Experience and ability is valuable. Your strategy of cutting cost by weeding out anyone who makes a decent living in your stores will provide the short term boost in stock price you so desperately need but if you continue to enforce selling from a script you will wind up with an entire company full of people who don't know how to have a conversation. I know you don't believe it but that is a valuable skill in a sales position. If you continue on this path this company will not exist in a few short years.