JoS. A. Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Doug Ewert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management doesn't listen much unless it's a customer complaint (in 59 reviews)

• Not really any work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

1. "Got Bought"

Pros

Upper management showed genuine interest in store managers' welfare, and interest in promoting from within

Cons

Aggressive associates were known as 'sharks' that would steal sales from one another, interrupt a conversation with a customer to push more sales, and generally were unhelpful in maintaining the store.

After the weird buyout by MW which consolidated things got worse for JAB. Hundreds of stores were closed and the brand basically brought into MW stores. MW employees are trained by corporate to be super aggressive salespeople, which generates an uncomfortable atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Too late. I wonder how many are still on in MW, or if they were all bought out/laid off.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training programs, strong leadership.

Cons

Managers have to wear too many hats. Compensation doesn't match work load. Very long hours.

"Replacing current employees"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

55% discount on clothing no discount on sale items, however every three weeks the store will run 60% discount for customers and this is better than your employee discount. 3 years ago this was a good company to work for but since Tailored Brands has purchased the company they have ran it into the ground. They are rebranding stores and removing all Jos. A. Bank logos from walls and any areas that used to display the store name. Now all store branding inside the store is on paper signs. This will help in selling the stores since the new purchasing company will not have to remodel to remove the store logo and branding.

Cons

Employee discount used to be up to 85% off but now reduced to 55% and only on non-sale items. All sale items no discount.
    Commissions have been reduced and some have been taken away completely.
    Incentives have been removed.
    The company is hiring nationwide for Store Manager Trainees because they are replacing current store managers with ones that are willing to work for a lower wage. Then they are replacing those employees with employees that are willing to work for an even lower wage, etc. You get the idea ...
    No work balance. You will be expected to work 60 hours a week as Store Manager. Current store managers were mostly hourly paid so this did mean some great overtime, however, all new store managers are being paid salary which means no overtime pay. Sorry guys!
    Staffing is a problem. With all the pay changes your store personnel can make more money working at Dunkin Donuts so turnover is high and retention is poor.

Advice to Management

We all know you are selling Jos. A. Bank so please hurry up and do so, so that we can work for a company that cares and not for a company that can't figure out how to offload the extreme debt they purchased.

"Poor Pay"

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

can't think of very many

Cons

Poorly Paid, Poor Management, Not a career position

"The company needs to get it's act together."

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are for the most part very nice and professional. The job itself isn't too strenuous, and the products are easy to sell. They have a well established client base that is pretty loyal. They also give you a killer deal on their custom suits as an employee. They have nice full benefits for full time.

Cons

The company itself has been through a lot of changes in the past couple years. I was in the position as third key in my store, and the store I was promoted to lost their manager, the assistant manager and the manager in training. (either fired or left out of frustration) So coming into the store, I was the only experienced Jos. A. Bank employee. They threw a mens warehouse manager into our store and it all went crazy. They put so much pressure on the new manager while there was much confusion still in the company. So it trickled down the line to every employee in the store making it absolutely miserable. After 4 months, I was the only one left from 12 employees that worked there when I started. I stepped down from the position of third key because the pressure they put on the management was outlandish and they were expecting me to do a assistant managers job on a third key salary. That's not how you treat an employee that's dealt with all the issues that came up without question as the company changed.

Advice to Management

If you want a manicured business, it starts with not putting people in power and leaving them out to dry. As I came into the company, my first manager was fired when the Men's Warehouse started to make their changes, instead of training a loyal manager of 8 years the new rule book, they threw him under the bus and got a Man's Warehouse manager. The Easiest route isn't always the best route. Tailored brands needs to put their employees first.

"Store Manager"

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well it's not like in 2014 or before, suit tie and shoes. Nowadays? Jeans, no tie, sleeves rolled up, vest or sweater.....woooow! No comments on present representing this company.

Cons

Mergers are the killer of an entity, that's exactly what happened to this company, the image of being reputable trashed overnight, let me start by addressing the top notch people of who is known to the world as Tailored Brands, get your heads out of your rear ends, while you all sit on your comfy leather chairs and proclaim that you guys are doing a great job, is not because of you, its because the amount of unfairly paid individuals working day in and day out to make a half decent paycheck, without the sellers you're nothing as a company. Paying 5 dollars an hour plus commission would be a great deal in a store that produces a revenue of 10 thousand dollars a day, let's be realistic, no where in the USA region. Right?.... Pay a fair rate to your employees, you're losing all of them. My next remarks are to the Multi units managers known as District Managers. Do you guys actually think about going somewhere with this shaky company? Do you even have the proper training on hiring and maintaining a safe environment for all parties. I highly doubt that. SE4 known as the "Quartarella Zone" is the most ridiculous zone director I had ever worked for. Disrespectful with his employees calling them "useless" and "10 yrs old".......don't let me go on, the list is long. A company that is putting loads of work on stores that only have 2 or 3 employees. No one has a life while working under these conditions. There are tons of tasks they demand by due dates, but they're quick saying we can't hire anymore. It's all on your shoulder. If you cannot do it, someone else will. Well, some younger guy fresh out of college who doesn't even know the difference between his left and right testicles....if he has any that is!!!!. People wake up and smell the coffee. It'll be too late by the time Chapter 11 is about to knock at your front door. 🤔

Advice to Management

Get off your rear end and make changes at once. Do not assume, investigate and execute. My strongest advice would be DO NOT BREAK THE LAWS, reason of my separation was just that. You as a company do not break laws, lawsuits will come along. Don't be that stupid.

7. "Great perks but low pay"

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time

Pros

Great discount for store merchandise
    Great clients
    Good commission if you're in a busy store

Cons

Low base pay
    Difficult to make commission in low volume stores

8. "assistant manager"

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time

Pros

Easy going. Fun environment. Good pay if Store has good traffic.

Cons

Low pay if the store has no traffic.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Okay part time Gig"

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time

Pros

Flexible and good discount on goods

Cons

Not very good pay or benefits

Advice to Management

Pay better

10. "Decent job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, all workers have the option to be full time and are preferred to be, decent benefits, great city location. If you're good they like promoting from within. As long as you're a competent worker, all managers at different level are pretty accessible

Cons

High turn over, lots of competition within the store, pay is barely livable for non-commission employees

Advice to Management

Take care of your support staff and they'll take care of you!