JoS. A. Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "Smart dresser"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential for the energetic person

Cons

Varied hours and weekend work

"It was ok..."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Evanston, IL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it wasn't extraordinarily taxing, but my location was low traffic, so that probably had something to do with it...

Cons

sometimes when pinning the shirts, people would be reckless, so i'd end up getting jabbed *no pun intended* a bunch when organizing things.

"assistant mgr"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people I work with have become family. My schedules have been fair and flexible. The pay has been consistent thru my time here, not a lot of highs or lows. The end of the year Holidays present opportunity for much higher commissions. My immediate manager is young but experienced within the company and has been very helpful. Upper management (RSM) has been helpful and fair. The RSM has loads of experience and has helped me at times on the Sales floor in a natural way that was seamless to the customer. From personal experience not every Regional Manager would step in to help in a sales on the floor, I like that he's not above lending a hand in ANY way that helps one of his stores or one of his staff. I find myself fortunate to be in a Region and store that is exceptional on every level.

Cons

There were times when due to circumstances beyond anyone's control that the hours became too many for my family. For quite some time it was every Sunday just because we couldn't find dependable staff. Not a lot of "Cons" here really. Speaking up for some Sundays off simply did what was needed.

Advice to Management

Teaching communication from the top down and the bottom up is necessary. Mostly communication from the bottom up can be a little intimidating just because its a huge corporation. Upper management may want to consider rewarding great ideas monetarily from store level on up thru the corporate ladder. There are lot of smart experienced educated people on every level with great ideas that could be used to improve our company. Many great companies will reward great ideas from any level so why not us too!

"Very poor leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to meet good people in the store.
    Decent employee discount.
    Benefits are competitive.
    Really very little I can say positive about this company any more.

Cons

Can't make a living in most stores at most positions.
    Men's Wearhouse has ruined this company. They don't want experienced, talented salesmen. They want young, inexperienced, insecure kids and lots of them. They train you to sell by literally reading a script to every customer. They are banking on the money they are saving by hiring people who will work for less than a livable wage, will make up for the revenue they will lose from nobody knowing what they are doing. Yes, reading their script is a better strategy than some teenager fumbling over their words, trying to sell something he knows nothing about.

Advice to Management

Stop running off the people who built this company. Experience and ability is valuable. Your strategy of cutting cost by weeding out anyone who makes a decent living in your stores will provide the short term boost in stock price you so desperately need but if you continue to enforce selling from a script you will wind up with an entire company full of people who don't know how to have a conversation. I know you don't believe it but that is a valuable skill in a sales position. If you continue on this path this company will not exist in a few short years.

5. "Not a company to live and grow with"

Current Employee - MIT/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - MIT/Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are fun to assist.

Cons

Company is intensely focused of sales and not on employees happness or well being.

Advice to Management

Consider employees an asset.

6. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Caring manager, good key holder assistant manager, great co-workers, decent pay, quick turn-around on tailoring, good store traffic and many repeat customers

Cons

None to add at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at JoS. A. Bank (More than 5 years)

Pros

I liked solving the clothing problems of the men coming into our store for assistance. A lot of men are surprisingly color blind! I would lay out various items and colors and when we had one complete from the jacket, shirt, etc. to the shoes then they would take a color photo to put inside their closet!

Cons

They decided to start renting tuxedos and it was a night mare! 1-5 tuxedos would arrive the day before the wedding and it was very rare that they all fit correctly! Our tailor would have to stop working on our alterations, start working on those because sometimes they were leaving that evening to drive to the wedding location. I would then have to call our regular customers to tell them that their clothes would not be ready for pick-up for another day or two! I just got tired of it!

Advice to Management

Select a company that follows the measurements that are sent to them!

"Assistant store manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the majority of the people I worked with. When the money was good, it was great. I got to know the regulars and loved spending time with my customers.

Cons

The company doesn't care about its employees. They find every way possible to hurt them financially. I made less than minimum wage some weeks and was not given my 30+ hours of vacation pay after I put in my two weeks notice. The employee discount dropped twice in the time I was there. The managers are allowed to hire their own children and upper management couldn't care less about problems the associates have. Employees are seen as easily replacable.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they matter. Pay them what they deserve and treat everyone equally. Nepotism and favoritism should have no place inside the store. The company, overall, needs to care more about their associates.

9. "Average at best"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to manage within your own store's setting/ coworkers

Cons

management's ability to assign most grunt work to hourly employees and manipulate scheduling to their own benefit while receiving salary pay was always the biggest con here

Advice to Management

appreciate the work and effort put in by hourly employees from associates to keyholders to department managers, they are your most important assets

10. "Department Manager"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees and lol and location.

Cons

This was a new store and when you are not established and you work on commission it is tough to make money.

Advice to Management

Hire people with degrees or back grounds in management.