JoS. A. Bank Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Doug Ewert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Not the best but not the worst"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Like many other companies your personal experience is based on the people you work with regularly. My experience has been both good and bad throughout my tenure.

Cons

Retail has been on a steady slide downward and even in a specialized sector it is felt. However upper management will not admit this is happening,

"Assistant store manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commision was good if you sold over a certain ammount, good ammount of down time, you used to get a paycheck every Friday, employee discount day, buy clothes on free credit taken from your paycheck

Cons

Alot, don't bother trying to advance, tuxedo rentals come in horrible shape, they smell and are well passed their service life. Most stores are so understaffed you can not take any time off. Upper management doesn't listen much unless it's a customer complaint. Depending on how much you sell is how much they let you get away with. Employee discount is a joke unless you wait for the employee discount days. Don't expect to leave work at work.

Advice to Management

Stop seeing your older employees as an expense, stop lowering the quality of the clothes, stop changing the sales every 3 day then get mad when we honor it. Lower staffing numbers don't mean higher profits just means lost revenue.

"Horrible after takeover"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Livonia, MI

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Wage is not what it use to be. Paid vacation and holidays. Flexible scheduling as much as retail will allow you.

Cons

The expectations are unrealistic that MW expects from Store Managers. You have a store to make sure runs but they want you to be out selling against your employees who are trying to make a living on the wage they are given. It is an unfair environment and unrealistic. Be cautious with this choice for an employer.

Advice to Management

Let managers be managers.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits were good. Getting to interact with the diverse customer base of the company

Cons

No advancement opportunities. No real mentorship for advancement. Compensation was below average for comparable postitions. No support from senior management.

"Very poor leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to meet good people in the store.
    Decent employee discount.
    Benefits are competitive.
    Really very little I can say positive about this company any more.

Cons

Can't make a living in most stores at most positions.
    Men's Wearhouse has ruined this company. They don't want experienced, talented salesmen. They want young, inexperienced, insecure kids and lots of them. They train you to sell by literally reading a script to every customer. They are banking on the money they are saving by hiring people who will work for less than a livable wage, will make up for the revenue they will lose from nobody knowing what they are doing. Yes, reading their script is a better strategy than some teenager fumbling over their words, trying to sell something he knows nothing about.

Advice to Management

Stop running off the people who built this company. Experience and ability is valuable. Your strategy of cutting cost by weeding out anyone who makes a decent living in your stores will provide the short term boost in stock price you so desperately need but if you continue to enforce selling from a script you will wind up with an entire company full of people who don't know how to have a conversation. I know you don't believe it but that is a valuable skill in a sales position. If you continue on this path this company will not exist in a few short years.

"Assistant store manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the majority of the people I worked with. When the money was good, it was great. I got to know the regulars and loved spending time with my customers.

Cons

The company doesn't care about its employees. They find every way possible to hurt them financially. I made less than minimum wage some weeks and was not given my 30+ hours of vacation pay after I put in my two weeks notice. The employee discount dropped twice in the time I was there. The managers are allowed to hire their own children and upper management couldn't care less about problems the associates have. Employees are seen as easily replacable.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they matter. Pay them what they deserve and treat everyone equally. Nepotism and favoritism should have no place inside the store. The company, overall, needs to care more about their associates.

"Better off before"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Getting to know new customers, and selling good product to them is great. Why does this make me write more pros there are none !!!

Cons

Jos A Bank was better off before the takeover, MW is like the little brother who wants what the older brother has and cause they're family he thinks he can do what he wants to achieve it. MW middle management is nothing short of a joke, they come to the JAB side and want to tell you everything you have done is wrong we are right do it our way or we will fire you.

Advice to Management

Learn what made JAB great not focusing on the faults and changing everything , there's something to be said for a company that has been around for 100+ years and continually making quarterly profits for at least the six years I was there before you took over and as soon as you take over we haven't had a positive quarter in two years. You made a mistake now just don't destroy what's left of JAB

"Not as good as it used to be"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time

Pros

Good product
    Good staff at most stores

Cons

Constant change
    Expectations are always changing

"Store manager"

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck while seeking a better job.

Cons

The way you are treated. Managers are so disrespected. Regional wants to micromanage yet forgets to follow up on anything.
    Not enough business yet they hold you personally responsible for that.
    I have never worked so hard for so little. The day I hang my hat from Jos A Bank is a day of great celebration.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat employees right.

"It's a job!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting alot of influential customers. You work so many hours your staff becomes your family! Generous discount on clothing.

Cons

Way to many! Commission driven and the sales associates fight over the customers. Hostile working environment. If you have clients and make money for company, higher management doesn't make certain people follow company rules and regulations. Ethics lacking! Dd