JoS. A. Bank Reviews in Tupelo, MS | Glassdoor

Tupelo, MS

1.0
Doug Ewert

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management can be a pain at times (in 52 reviews)

• There isn't a work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

"Minimum wage"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tupelo, MS

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than being unemployed? Maybe?

Cons

Long hours, at times. You'll work mostly nights, and you'll definitely work every weekend, since this is when most people shop.
    Horribly low pay. Don't be fooled by the term "commission". It's a "draw" system. In most stores, you'll be lucky to make any commission, and you'll simply get your hourly wage, which will be low.
    Insane promotions are a nightmare to keep up with, due to the complexity of the sales, and the frequency with which they change.
    Alterations process takes weeks and is expensive, resulting in angry customers.
    Management creates an atmosphere that leads to unhappy customers, then takes the customer's side if there is a complaint lobbied against the store, no matter what actually took place.
    You'll be asked to record customers' contact info, and cold call them to let them know about promotions, which most customers hate.
    Management comes up with arbitrary "Sales Goals" based on nothing more than the $ amount of merchandise sold on a particular day the year before. If you don't happen to have customers come in ready to buy, and as a result don't meet/exceed your goal, you are punished.

Advice to Management

Your business model is a joke. The "buy 1 get 'x' free" has run its course. Most customers have caught on to the fact that you are selling cheap clothes at an astronomical markup in order to offset the "free" items for promotions.
    It's also probably not the brightest idea to treat a small town JAB store the same as your stores in major metro areas. Demographics are different, but you try to adapt the same business model.
    I would say to treat employees better (which you should) but we all know a retail clothing job is a dead-end job anyway in today's society. Most employees are simply working for you out of desperation until they find something else, or they simply don't have the skills to be hired anywhere else.
    If you truly want to motivate your employees to sell your product, pay a real commission where employees get a small percentage of all sales.

"Stay away unless you're desperate"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tupelo, MS

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You could make the argument that it's better than being unemployed.

Cons

There's obviously a theme among most of these reviews. I'll echo what most have said:
    1-The pay is just pathetic. I was mislead to believe that I would receive an hourly wage plus commission on everything I sold, only to find out once I got my first check that JAB operates on a "draw" system. Working at a rural store made it literally impossible to meet the draw and make any commission outside of the holiday season. To add insult to injury, during the holidays I usually worked 60-70 hours a week which meant that I had a higher draw in order to make any commission. Employees are given arbitrary, unrealistic sales goals by management in an attempt to intimidate the employee in the hope that they will go above and beyond to sell merchandise. Once you don't meet the sales goals a few times you are reprimanded. In my case I was demoted from Assistant Store Manager to Sales Associate. On top of that they cut me to a part time schedule, virtually forcing me to get another job. By the time I was finally able to leave JAB I was making $7.50 per hour. Seriously.
    2.-I could write a novel on how absurd the markup and "promotions" are. Nothing new to add there. Employees are expected to keep up with the "sales" that change constantly.
    3.- Employees are required to input customers' contact info into the database any time someone makes their first purchase at JAB. That info will later on be used to solicit the customer about "sales". Our regional manager actually required that we take a list of customers from the database and call them while they were at work or at home and solicit them to come to our store and shop. Needless to say this infuriated most customers.
    4. Employees are expected to meet their absurd sales "goals" while having a laundry list of non-selling activities to keep up with. There were usually multiple huge boxes of inventory arriving to the store daily which we had to unpack, scan into inventory, put on the shelf, etc. We also had to pack up old merchandise to send elsewhere. We had to decipher a phone-book sized visual display guide and prepare merchandise to be placed on mannequins around the store. All of this, yet management wonders why you are not constantly selling merchandise.
    5. The company all but encourages conflict between employees and customers. If someone is dumb enough to buy something at the obscence prices, they are then required to pay to have their clothing tailored. Employees are required to milk as much money out of the customer for tailoring as they can. I saw cases where customers were charged over $100 to have a cheap suit tailored. THEN, the customer is expected to wait a minimum of 2 weeks to have their clothes tailored before having to come back to the store and pick it up. Many times we had to spend hours boxing up clothes to send hundreds of miles away to have it tailored. This usually resulted in customers having to wait over 3 weeks to receive their clothing, due to the time necessary to ship to and from the tailoring service.
    Needless to say, customers were constantly infuriated by the wait required to receive their clothing, especially after paying for tailoring. In many cases they didn't fit correctly after being tailored.
    All of this essentially encourages customer conflict, yet if a customer files a complaint, the store level employees are blames and in most cases fired without question.

Advice to Management

You need to seriously reevaluate your entire business model. I see that stock is plummeting now because customers have caught on to the obscene markup levels and they know that the daily "promotions" are a sham. Why would a customer pay $400 plus tailoring, AND wait 2 weeks to have a suit tailored when they can go to any other low-level retailer and get the same quality merchandise for a-third of the price, take it elsewhere and have it tailored in a day at a fraction of the tailoring cost? Also in regards to employees, you pay for what you get. You won't retain any talented employees when you pay them less than they could make flipping burgers at McDonalds. Not that you care, I'm just pointing that out.