Joan Shepp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 10, 2017

2.8
Joan Shepp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "will make you want to watch The Devil Wears Prada over and over again."

Pros

I've intentionally waited several months before making a review so I could be as objective as possible. For as crazy, hectic, and often chaotic as working here was, it was by far the best education in fashion retail I've had thus far. I'd known of the store for years before applying. For independent concept stores in Philadelphia, there isn't really anything comparable. To me, the store and the brand were always this perfect, angular monolith filled to the hilt with drapey, black clothes that cost more than my rent. Through some divine intervention, they saw and read my resume and I was hired. Over two years, I learned more about communication, business, and of course, fashion, than I ever did during four years of college.

Cons

As with any retail career, especially early in one's career, the work/life balance is much to be desired. But if you're hungry enough for success, this place will be a perfect fit. If you find yourself working here and are utterly frustrated, confused, or suffering from any number of existential crises, remember, "A million girls would kill for this job."

Advice to Management

Don't pay too much attention to what people are wearing when they come in to shop. The real big spenders are often the ones in Lululemon track suits and no make-up.

"Unacceptable"

I worked at Joan Shepp full-time

Pros

Joan and Ellen are great at choosing wonderful people to hire. I looked forward to coming to work to see the staff. Ellen can be tough but she's really sweet and funny.

Cons

This job was a huge waste of time. There are plenty of places where you can get the same kind of work experience in an environment that fosters respect and where the upper management is supportive of their employees.

Joan has no one to answer to so she is extremely verbally and psychologically abusive to her employees. I didn't take her behavior personally because it was so ridiculous and she did it to all the office staff, but it made it impossible to get any work done and I finally quit after about three months. A usual day consisted of finding Joan at my desk going through my emails, where she would berate me for old emails with vendors that had already been resolved. She would papers and files off my desk and go through them, and frequently accused me of trying to sabotage her business. She also told me that just the act of having to speak to me caused her physical pain.
    I finally broke down and cried one day when she pulled a random file out of the filing cabinet, pulled out an order that another employee had made, and then yelled at me for 15 minutes about how a mistake she found on the order embarrassed her and her business and what would I do if this mistake that I had nothing to do with caused an issue with a customer? During this particular event, when I tried to leave the room (we were alone) to find someone to get her to stop, she demanded that I stay, eventually I walked out crying while she was still berating me.
    After I quit, my coworker who had been there for 2 years, sent an email to Joan saying that he couldn't work in an environment where he saw this kind of abuse, and he quit too.
    After that, the bookkeeper also left. She was treated as badly as I was and the stress of this led to her having health issues.
    I should also point out that when I notified Joan and Ellen that I wasn't coming back they didn't even respond, i never heard anything at all from them. I ran into a former co worker a few months later and that's how I heard about what happened after I left.

Advice to Management

If Joan isn't going to change then find ways to keep her out of the office.

3. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Joan Shepp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Joan is an icon in the fashion industry and has wealth of knowledge. Any employee that is willing to take the initiative to learn will have opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

As with any retail job - long hours and required weekends can put a strain on the balance between work and personal time.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees for feedback and suggestions. Invest more time and money into team building outside of the work place. This will continue to build the employee morale.

"Cool Clothes + Poor Pay + Oppressive Environment = Working at Joan Shepp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Joan Shepp full-time

Pros

Exposure to awesome fashion.

Great sales people and staff!

Did I mention awesome fashion??? The clothes are absolutely beautiful.

Cons

As an employee at Joan Shepp, especially an employee on the corporate side of things, you are constantly subjected to upper management's mood swings. Management will often tell you to do one thing and then tell you to do something totally contradictory at another point... all while denying the initial directive.

Staff is grossly underpaid. Great demands are placed on employees but they are not compensated in line with these expectations.

Management can be very disrespectful to employees. It was not uncommon for staff members to be yelled at and talked down to. Some employees have even complained about being hit. Upon hire, middle management warned about "crying Fridays." They coined the term because upper-management usually made an office employee cry every Friday.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and respect your staff more. Your turnover rate with office staff is ridiculously high. At some point, you have to ask yourself why.

Do not be afraid to let people have opinions- just because someone disagrees with something that you do or say doesn't mean they don't have your best interest at heart. A member of middle management once warned me that you should never disagree with upper-management because you will be fired. This person went on to say that even if upper-management was wrong, they would pretend that they were right so that they could keep their job.

An atmosphere of fear does not foster creativity and productivity.

"Cool and funny summer"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Joan Shepp part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

internships and job experience, know more people

Cons

very bad schedule time, bad communication

Advice to Management

try to be more professionnal