Job Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • Job Corps contracts out all of its positions so you technically work for a company, not the Department of Labor (in 5 reviews)

• Some staff members don't know how to be team players (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great to help the students but the management is terrible"

Current Employee - Instructor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Job Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students. Helping young people grow

Cons

Unorganized, little communication, terrible management

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff. We do not know things by osmosis.

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is extremely rewarding, you truly feel like your making a difference in your community. The starting pay is competitive for novice teachers.

Cons

Management hold nobody accountable.
    They don't value their employees ideas.
    No pay raises for three years.
    You could drowned in all the government red tape.

Advice to Management

The entire upper management staff needs to be replaced with former educators or someone who knows how to run a school properly. Treat your employees with more respect.

3. "A parent of a student"

Former Freelancer - Licensed Practical Nurse in Tampa, FL
    Former Freelancer - Licensed Practical Nurse in Tampa, FL

Pros

Free food-room-board. A place to keep your child.

Cons

A minimum-security prison. If you send a child expecting them to come out with an education this will not happen.

Advice to Management

Teachers are not teaching. They're babysitting and involved in drama.

"Residential Advisor"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Bronx, NY

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Non, didn't receive any raises in the years I worked there besides the my promotion.

Cons

Horrible benefits
    No raises
    Very little room for growth
    No structure or guidance from management

Advice to Management

Offer leadership trainings to all staff, especially management.

6. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Job Corps full-time

Pros

Program itself is a great idea but it is not managed to follow Department of Labor guidelines

Cons

Students are not the priority, their inflated and fraudulent numbers so that their rankings remain high are! Staff below management level are powerless to give ideas or recommendations. There are no positive acknowledgments or support for line staff. In my opinion tax dollars are going to waste unless major changes occur.

Advice to Management

Leave the center, and DOL please really,really do an inspection of the centers. Do not wait for something terrible to happen before you actually investigate the way a center is ran. Listen to line staff. Asking managers and looking at their doctored files is not ENOUGH! Having said all this I know nothing will really be done by DOL. Nothing ever has.

7. "Lacked inspirational qualities"

Former Employee - Residential Advisor in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Residential Advisor in Bronx, NY

I worked at Job Corps full-time

Pros

Some of the staff has a good attitude towards their professions and really want to help the consumers achieve their goals

Cons

Team morale was low, Managers and Supervisions were click-like and did not lead by example, low pay kept many from offering quality work. Two sets of rules for employees created conflicts and high turn over.

Advice to Management

Train Managers and Supervisors to be unbiased and how to motivate their employees, increase pay to maintain quality workers improve HR relations with staff so employee issues get resolved can create win-win victories for staff and consumers alike.

8. "Job corps va odjcc"

Former Employee - Administrative in Monroe, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Monroe, VA

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students that you assist. It's a good feeling to see the students accomplish their goals

Cons

Management, supervisors, some staff. So much favoritism. Rules only apply to SOME people. Director only hires people that will fall in line with what he personally wants to do (ie breaking policies and covering things up). They quickly fire you if you speak up. Seems it's like that across the board in Rescare. Smh

Advice to Management

All management needs to be fired

9. "Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falcon Heights, Ramsey, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falcon Heights, Ramsey, MN

Pros

not many, you get to monitor the students, for that you get a meal.... they used chicken mcnuggets to make orange chicken. If you keep a log of the insane things that you are told you are due for fame and fortune as a best selling writer... think of a new version of the Peter Principal only more unbelievable! I you have to work there I am sorry for your fate... if you don't start looking. On the plus side, the students are fun

Cons

no breaks,only place I ever worked where they were to cheap to supply employees hand soap in the employee bathroom, they promised one salary and delivered another, employees were told to buy their own supplies, during gov't inspection paint chips fluttered from the ceiling, bugs galore, 1 yr wait for 401-k, 37% turnover in my dept in 3 months, staff is not permitted to take part in staff day, Finance dept falsified reports to Dept of Labor, staff is held responsible for things they don't control, upper staff performs mundane duties as they fire/drive out employees which makes them bitter. staff I worked with could not copy a sheet in excel, they did not know the rudiments of customer service.

Advice to Management

put tape over your mouth and look in the mirror, you are there 12 hours a day because of you, no one else. Enjoy the situation as you made it! When I left I refused to tell HR about the problems because they might actually fix them

10. "Awful"

Former Contractor - Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Job Corps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The program participants are a pleasure to meet. Many have come from some very challenging backgrounds so to interact with them and help them see their potential is extremely rewarding.

Cons

Awful.

You'll come to Job Corps thinking that you can make the world of a difference in someones life when in all actuality, the work environment is childish and petty. Mostly older folks (ages 40+) work here and you would never be able to tell because down to the security at the front desk EVERYONE is childish. At first I thought I was hallucinating but nope. The place is that bad. It's very sad, as the organization has a wonderful mission but in the end, management just intends to use employees and bleed them dry, leaving them absolutely no fulfillment in the end.

Terrible place to work

Advice to Management

Many department heads at this location need to be fired as they have no clue how to appropriately manage their departments.

"Instructor"

Former Employee - High School Teacher in New Ipswich, NH
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in New Ipswich, NH

I worked at Job Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It serves needy students who need a high school GED.

Cons

Lack of support for teachers and failure to implement behavior code which is in writing. Students regularly curse and abuse each other and staff. Teachers and administration lie about eaxh other in a game of one upmanship which isn't in the interest of students or teachers.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing the professionals whom you employ. It does not help students behave and perform better.