Jobs for the Future Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Maria Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Exciting time to join JFF"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined JFF a little more than a year ago, having worked at several companies and nonprofit organizations over the years, so I have many points of comparison. I am really impressed with the organization, not only what it has accomplished in nearly 35 years, but also how it’s thinking about its next chapter both in terms of its mission and internally as a place to work, feel valued and thrive.

The new CEO – Maria Flynn has been at JFF for ten years but only a few months in her current role -- already has shared a clear vision about where the organization is headed, built on its incredibly solid foundation, with employees. We’re at a great intersection – we’re still small enough to be nimble and inclusive, yet we’re growing to accommodate the work that’s been funded and needs to get done.

In her plan for her first 90 days, Maria talked about the following cultural attributes that any prospective job applicant might appreciate knowing: JFF is “forward-thinking, engaged, responsive, and transparent.” Add to that a lot of diversity, including a Committee for Diversity & Inclusion, and a group of hard working professionals who also like to have fun (dance off, anyone?).

We recently started a FB Workplace group internally which encourages social and cultural interaction across the organization (employees work in one of our three offices or remotely from their homes in different US cities and towns) when people want to engage, and at the same time leaves email for the work at hand.

As I’ve gone to certain events –either the ones we produce or third party conferences – I am proud to be part of an organization that’s highly reputed and respected in the education and workforce development sectors.

Cons

As a growing organization, acknowledge the inevitable growing pains and help staff move through them.

"An open, transparent and people-oriented organization!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work with smart, hard-working people that truly care about the mission and vision of JFF.

Competitive pay

Rich benefits

Cons

Like all companies, there are challenges, however the executive leadership team is committed to fixing the problems and including staff in the decision making.

Advice to Management

Continue with the openness and transparency

"Still Struggling"

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel (and long days), good mission, generally nice people. Downtown Boston is easy for commuting on public transportation. I survived and have moved on.
    An incredible large percentage of the program budget is spent on unnecessary travel.

Cons

Upper management has been in an upheaval- 3 presidents in past year. Revolving door with key staff. internal politics run deep and cut throat. Organization seems to chase grants rather than staying 100 percent true to mission. Back stabbing runs rampant. Real change is needed.

Advice to Management

Hire for competence needed five years from now rather than 'Yes' persons. Be transparent with finances rather than keeping two sets of books.
    Embrace technology. Use the cloud. There is plenty of room for efficiencies if you keep an open mind and trust others to do their jobs.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Oakland Office- Awesome boss and colleagues who know how to work hard and have fun. By far the best work life balance and feel good work environment I have experienced. Management wants to hear from employees and are constantly working towards better communication.

Cons

Oakland has an increasingly HIGH cost of living.

"A great organization, an activist mission, passionate and committed staff"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Jobs for the Future for almost 15 years. The culture at JFF is fast-paced and highly productive because the staff are driven by passion for the mission of the organization and the urgency of dealing with poverty and low education outcomes in the United States. The work is endlessly challenging and interesting, and you have a chance in most positions to travel the country talking to people and working with them in red and blue states, in rural, suburban and urban communities, and at all levels or government from governors to grass roots organizations. JFFers write well, are excellent team players and partners with other organizations, and, although the organization has a relatively flat set of job levels, there is room for employee learning, growth, and development. Senior level employees work to have all voices heard and all ideas considered. The committee on diversity and inclusion has spurred honest conversations about race, gender, age, that include the entire staff; a recent staff wide presentation and discussion was on implicit bias. The staff is reasonably diverse at this point and diversity is valued.

Cons

Because people are passionate about their work and take on many challenges, it can be hard to maintain a work life balance. It's not that the organization isn't family friendly and supportive of a number of staff who are the family breadwinners and have kids-- it's very supportive; it's that a set of type A people have a hard time slowing themselves down and raising funds to keep the work going and expand puts pressure on for excellence and efficiency.
    It's a female dominated staff so men entering need to enjoy and work well with women, but that's not uncommon in the education field. The number of males is increasing.

Advice to Management

I am a manager. We are a healthy self-critical group; we went through a recent CEO change that was unfortunate and lasted a year and prompted considerable dissatisfaction. The Board acted quickly to rectify the situation, and a new CEO is now in place as of December 2016; she comes from the organization and is trusted and well liked and knows the organization and the field very well.

"JFF's Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The mission of the company and the dedication of most of the staff

Cons

Senior leadership is weak and self-centered, almost always out of touch with staff. The VP of Human Resources believes she is in touch with the staff but isn't, primary concern is other VPs

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to be concerned with all staff, not just senior leadership

Jobs for the Future Response

Aug 25, 2016 – VPHR

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Employee feedback is genuinely appreciated, and JFF leadership has been listening. Over the past several months we have been working on several... More

"Watch your back"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Downtown Boston location is convenient for public transportation. Strong mission. Many program jobs require travel which is nice if you are into that but it can be exhausting.

Cons

Senior management is very political- friendly in person and brutal behind your back. The behavior is unfortunate and unnecessary. I was hoping this would change with the new CEO but it has actually gotten worse. Good people have left and others are looking to leave. Employees do not trust senior management. Recent management changes have been unsettling. Favoritism runs rampant. IT system is antiquated.

Advice to Management

I have no reason to think management will read this, never mind act on it. They will dismiss this post as an anomaly, try to find who posted it and take revenge.
    If they do pay attention, they should empower us younger folks and have certain VPs to retire already.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Jobs for the Future part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid internship. Accessible and friendly staff members. JFF hosts bagged lunch discussions which I was invited to and enjoyed. As an intern, I got to sit in on meetings and got valuable experience that I could put on my resume. Different initiative teams would host lunches to share the progress of their work. I felt very supported. Would recommend this internship experience.

Cons

Slightly unorganized at times, probably because JFF has numerous initiatives dealing with different issues and policies. Could sometimes feel siloed among the different departments and initiatives.

Advice to Management

Given the size of JFF, I was impressed by the all staff meetings where people could voice their concerns in an open environment. This is a practice that I'd encourage to be continued.

"Great work, not so great internal culture"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is grest and working with external partners has been rewarding.
    There is flexibility here and an entrepreneurial spirit that is exciting. There are, however, different rules for different people so you have to figure out where you fit in.

Cons

The challenges are the internal staff. Nepotism is rampant and there is blatant favoritism. People in senior management positions do not have the skills to do their jobs, so there is mismanagement and a lack of leadership and vision, which has led, in my opinion, to an internal culture that is highly toxic. I try to keep out of the office as much as I can, and schedule client/partner meetings when I can. It's the way I make it work for me.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to begin because management is a problem across the board. It's almost like they need to start from scratch. I guess I would say to police the nepotism and weed out senior management staff who are incompetent. Morale is low and I know many good people who are looking elsewhere.

"Extremely Dysfunctional Organization with an Excellent Mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Jobs for the Future full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to travel
    Networking
    Promotions/salary increases
    Opportunity to publish
    True commitment to mission

Cons

Amazingly high turnover (print the staff list today & check again in 6 months, you'll see)
    Poor work-life balance
    Nepotism is out of this world
    Top-heavy management
    Poor accountability/passing the buck
    Culture encourages overworking

Advice to Management

Consider whether or not you're the best person for your own job. If you're a terrible manager, don't manage people. If you have no interest in meeting deadlines, allow your employees more latitude to do the work. And for pete's sake, stop firing people who actually do the work and put certain long-term employees on performance improvement plans. JFF is like a roach. No matter what happens, how budgets get screwed up, it will survive. For the record, that's not 100% complimentary.