John Deere Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,228 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't promoted like it used to be (in 39 reviews)

• Long,Long Hours which can be boring (in 21 reviews)

1. "Great for Quad City residents"

I worked at John Deere full-time

Pros

Deere makes excellent products and has a well deserved reputation as a solid American company. Good benefits and pay. Beautiful campus.

Cons

If you take a job at headquarters, you find out that this is a large company in a small town. Can be difficult to crack into if you aren't from the area. A lot of nepotism.

Advice to Management

Don't recruit looking for new ideas, unless you really want them.

2. "Supply Chain Specialist"

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

Great pay and good benefits.

Cons

No masters degree, no management

Advice to Management

None

3. "Pension and social security disability for salaried employees."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in East Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in East Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really not to many however I do have 3 patents , one pending still, and a blocker and AE award and 3 job awards. .I was very proud of these until this mess happened to us.

Cons

Deere is a great company for the community. However if you are on the inside beware. In my opinion they treat their employees like a number just like any other company. The CEO a;ways quotes how ethical Deere is. Well he need to get down to level of the employees and see how this is. Most people are afraid to speak out. My wife has stage 4 cancer. She was sexually harassed and badgered every day by her boss. She worked thru her chemo. She brought this harassment to managements attention and they sidestep it. They put her out in the shop so she could breathe the welding fumes and forklift fumes. She has had over 20 surgeries. Now do not get me wrong we have been blessed by what we have but every year they take something away from us. My wife would come home crying due to this treatment. I told her to get the 30 years and get out. As far as me I put in 42 years there as a Sr, designer. I had issues of PTSD and depression. They do not get. I lost my first wife , 6 month old baby boy and my 2 year old to a trailer fire. I was told that at the time I could only take a week off. Now pension and social security disability. When my wife retired she was under extreme stress and their is no consultation when you retire fill out the forms and walk out the door. Same for myself. We did not know that social security disability was the same as social security. Our fault I guess but I have talked to many others and they had no clue either. So since my wife has lived longer than was expected and the doctor stated that she is a miracle and God has other plans for her we now owe Deere a 6 figure number of dollars due to this over site. They stated that they would except X amount of dollars to pay this back. My wife will die before this happens and our lawyer even stated this as this is a life and death situation. The papers that they sent to us mentioned that we could pay this in one lump sum, yeah right. Now both of us retired , by the way when I had my breakdown I was called into the office for missing deadlines and what ever. This was not true as I could not due this if I did not have the parts from our vendors. Mental issues they do not understand and nor do they care but they will parade the wounded soldiers on a tour thru the shops to make them selves look good as they do. As I said we have been very blessed to work for this company. However it could be so much better if they practiced what they preach. I put in so much free time to make sure the products got down the I cannot even count. I was proud to do that but I learned quick it did not matter. It almost took a year to get my retirement plaque and my shirt and picture. My plaque said 30 years not 42. We got this stuff on the same day we got the letter stating that we owed these monies. My wife could die next week or a year from now they do not care thru the pension department. Anybody in their right mind would not do something like this and owe 6 figures back to the company. I guess if my wife would of died a month or two after having all the treatments they would be happier that this money was not owed to them. The CEO has stated in many magazines or what have you that Deere strives to be one of the most ethical companies when they are rated for this. I disagree.
    Thank you...

Advice to Management

They need to check out issues like this and the CEO needs to have issues like this put on his desk when it means life or death. Again we made a mistake but we just did know. If they are going to be ethical then the CEO needs to see these not just the lower management. This really hurts when two people put their heart and soul into a company for a total of 72 years and they could care less. It is sad and it really hurts. But that is cooperate today, bottom line.
    Thank you...

4. "Solid, stable, still John Deere."

Current Employee - Manager in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Manager in Fargo, ND

I have been working at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture of honesty and integrity is real and reinforced by actions & decisions
    Strong push for innovation/technology (especially for such a large, long lasting company)
    Diverse workforce for the communities they are located in
    Competitive pay and benefits including pension, great 401k match & bonuses
    Great company strategy with consistent say/do ratio
    Extremely supportive of community service, especially mentoring kids / STEM
    Internally developed leaders

Cons

Work/life balance is dependent on position and manager - but generally good
    Some smaller locations may require you to move around the company to advance past a certain level in order to get varying experiences

5. "Java Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I worked at John Deere (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience. Professional people to work with.

Cons

Nothing as such. Nice people to work with anytime.

6. "My review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horicon, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horicon, WI

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with

Cons

Not always getting 40 hours

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Salaries, Work-life Balance in Corporate Offices, Supports People Development

Cons

180 year old culture is solidly entrenched and will not change or adapt to the 21st century. Not a good company to work at if you have good ideas or embrace change, you will be derailed or cast out. Career growth paths seem to favor mostly those with farming backgrounds, females and those with a military background. Cronyism and nepotism is still pervasive but in all fairness, part of this is perpetuated by the fact the company has difficulty attracting folks outside Illinois and Iowa due to less than desirable work locations scattered in small, obscure communities lacking amenities and quality of life.

Advice to Management

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

8. "Physician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good ethics, hard workers

Cons

Lot of cost cutting being done that impacts bringing in new patients.

9. "Part Time Student"

I have been working at John Deere part-time

Pros

Excelent benefits, very open and talkative environment

Cons

You hit the ground running. They get you going on tasks almost immediately.

10. "Data"

I worked at John Deere full-time

Pros

Good for All level professionals.

Cons

No Such cons,I feel

Showing 1,228 of 1,403 reviews