John Deere Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,291 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't promoted like it used to be (in 41 reviews)

• Long hours, no work life balance (in 22 reviews)

"Disappointing career with lots of unethical behavior by leadership, especially in the IT field."

Former Employee - Manager in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still make a good product but quality has slipped in the last 5-10 years

Cons

Unethical practices setup by HR and are used by many departments to justify false pretense and bad management.

"Construction and Forestry (C&F) is the Worst Division at Deere to Work for"

Former Employee - Engineer in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dubuque, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, I haven't seen any.

Cons

John Deere is overall a good company, but the Construction and Forestry (C&F) division has one of the most racist cultures among Deere's divisions. I have worked for other divisions and they are not even comparable with the C&F division. Since Deere's main core business is in the agriculture industry and as they don't have a good market standpoint in the construction industry, the working environment here is completely different. They are struggling to have a strong profit share and would put all the pressure for beating the competition in the construction industry (with leading companies like CAT, CNH, Volvo, etc.) on young engineers. They think they are the best in the world and would say this every day to new hires and make them feel they are working for the best company in the world. If you want to work here be prepared for a harsh and unprofessional work environment. You would feel like you are stuck in a jail (both in work and location).

1. Lack of diversity
    2. No work/life balance
    3. Micromanagement is a favorite attitude for managers in here
    4. Location is horrible (especially if you are non-white American)
    5. Gossips flying all around the company
    6. Unreasonable deadlines for projects
    7. Discrimination based on your skin color
    8. No career growth (you have to stay here for maybe a decade to get a promotion)
    9. Threat for being terminated from management
    10. HR is not any help to the employees at all
    11. Very very old school
    12. Lack of investment in employees (They can be very cheap and greedy in training and travels)

Advice to Management

Open the doors for diversity.
    Invest in your future by hiring new young talent with different backgrounds.
    Limit the managers from harassing and micromanaging employees.
    Follow the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policies.
    Provide career growth path to young engineers.

"Amateurish Leadership, No Advancement"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Urbandale, IA

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They look good from the outside

Cons

Leadership is amateurish, quick to pigeon-hole you into a meaningless position.

Advice to Management

You're not as smart as you think. Give your employees more freedom, and get out of the way.

"Pension and social security disability for salaried employees."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in East Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in East Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really not to many however I do have 3 patents , one pending still, and a blocker and AE award and 3 job awards. .I was very proud of these until this mess happened to us.

Cons

Deere is a great company for the community. However if you are on the inside beware. In my opinion they treat their employees like a number just like any other company. The CEO a;ways quotes how ethical Deere is. Well he need to get down to level of the employees and see how this is. Most people are afraid to speak out. My wife has stage 4 cancer. She was sexually harassed and badgered every day by her boss. She worked thru her chemo. She brought this harassment to managements attention and they sidestep it. They put her out in the shop so she could breathe the welding fumes and forklift fumes. She has had over 20 surgeries. Now do not get me wrong we have been blessed by what we have but every year they take something away from us. My wife would come home crying due to this treatment. I told her to get the 30 years and get out. As far as me I put in 42 years there as a Sr, designer. I had issues of PTSD and depression. They do not get. I lost my first wife , 6 month old baby boy and my 2 year old to a trailer fire. I was told that at the time I could only take a week off. Now pension and social security disability. When my wife retired she was under extreme stress and their is no consultation when you retire fill out the forms and walk out the door. Same for myself. We did not know that social security disability was the same as social security. Our fault I guess but I have talked to many others and they had no clue either. So since my wife has lived longer than was expected and the doctor stated that she is a miracle and God has other plans for her we now owe Deere a 6 figure number of dollars due to this over site. They stated that they would except X amount of dollars to pay this back. My wife will die before this happens and our lawyer even stated this as this is a life and death situation. The papers that they sent to us mentioned that we could pay this in one lump sum, yeah right. Now both of us retired , by the way when I had my breakdown I was called into the office for missing deadlines and what ever. This was not true as I could not due this if I did not have the parts from our vendors. Mental issues they do not understand and nor do they care but they will parade the wounded soldiers on a tour thru the shops to make them selves look good as they do. As I said we have been very blessed to work for this company. However it could be so much better if they practiced what they preach. I put in so much free time to make sure the products got down the I cannot even count. I was proud to do that but I learned quick it did not matter. It almost took a year to get my retirement plaque and my shirt and picture. My plaque said 30 years not 42. We got this stuff on the same day we got the letter stating that we owed these monies. My wife could die next week or a year from now they do not care thru the pension department. Anybody in their right mind would not do something like this and owe 6 figures back to the company. I guess if my wife would of died a month or two after having all the treatments they would be happier that this money was not owed to them. The CEO has stated in many magazines or what have you that Deere strives to be one of the most ethical companies when they are rated for this. I disagree.
    Thank you...

Advice to Management

They need to check out issues like this and the CEO needs to have issues like this put on his desk when it means life or death. Again we made a mistake but we just did know. If they are going to be ethical then the CEO needs to see these not just the lower management. This really hurts when two people put their heart and soul into a company for a total of 72 years and they could care less. It is sad and it really hurts. But that is cooperate today, bottom line.
    Thank you...

"Don't do it!!"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Milan, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Milan, IL

I have been working at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive for the area.

Cons

No opportunity to advance, 12 hour days are common, total lack of employee engagement, often required to work 6 days a week, very strict attendance policy. I wouldn't recommend if you value time with your family or have any hobbies.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat wage employees as human beings. We have families just like salaried employees.

"DO NOT work here"

I have been working at John Deere full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits.

Cons

Too many to list here. Let me just say the only good thing about this company is the pay and the benefits.

Advice to Management

Maybe management someday will get smart and get rid of the salaried leeches that drain the life from the company. What a joke.

7. "Team Lead"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Moline, IL

I worked at John Deere full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company with a long history, well known brand, never fires anyone even when they have earned termination.

Cons

Good ol boys club. Young men are groomed for promotion and wind up in the good ol boys club They know better but some kind of group think or crazy group dynamic takes over and they begin to participate in the harassment. Look at the audit staff, harvester, and parts.

Advice to Management

#METOO Stop turning a blind eye to the harassment of women Don't just move the offender to a new position when there is a documented complaint. Apologies are fine but when the behavior continues action needs to be taken. Some of those guys have been moved more than once as a result of documented complaints. It's disappointing that Deere does not take the harassment of women seriously.

8. "Cancer"

Pros

Nothing At all Im just filing darn

Cons

Aids ok meh could do better but meh

Advice to Management

None

"John Deere lacks flexibility"

Pros

Pay and Benefits are both excellent. The matching program for the 401k investment is great, although vesting does take 5 years. Generous vacation allowances.

Cons

Lack of flexibility in work schedules. Lack of support for balance between work and family life. Unfair advantages and preferential treatment given to certain types of employees who best fit the "John Deere Lifestyle".

Advice to Management

No Advice

"No growth unless politically affiliated. Poor promotion practices. Elitist field mentality"

Pros

Good pay for most jobs, compared to industry average.

Cons

Unless politically tied in, hired through a preferred / sponsored program, willing to live out of a suitcase, or carried into management on the back of your spouse (who also happens to work for the company), do not come in and expect to get to management pay grade anytime soon. Even if the job is compatible with flexible work arrangements can still be strapped to your desk by a manager with an old school mindset. In general, management does not care about the employee voice are not held accountable on their poor employee survey results. They pass it off as "employee perception". Management getting taken care of financially during a recession and restructuring while worker bees pay stagnent. Typical corporate environment.

Advice to Management

Wake up or retire. Old school mindset is a thing of the past. Stop the good old boy hiring and promotion practices. India is not the future of our company....looks good on the books, but will be company's downfall. You've been caring too little for too long.

Showing 1,291 of 1,495 reviews