John Hancock Reviews | Glassdoor

John Hancock CEO Donald Guloien
Donald Guloien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • no work/life balance, no training, VERY sink or swim (in 9 reviews)

• very large company, no hand holding (in 10 reviews)

"John Hancock, the future is here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The benefits, culture and experience for working for one of the industry leaders are just some of the reasons to work for John Hancock Financial Services. The internal employee "customer" support rivals any external support system out there. The employee focused training and development really shows a commitment to making John Hancock an employer of choice. I could probably talk forever on the work/life balance. The flexibility of the management staff to ensure you are happily balanced between work and home is refreshing!

Cons

Like every other company in the marketplace, of course there are some downsides to John Hancock. I think maybe one of the biggest downsides would be that the employee base is filled with people that have been a part of the company for a very long time. I know that doesn't sound like a downside, but healthy turnover helps companies grow and get out of that "we've been doing it like this for years" mentality.

Advice to Management

Focusing on employee satisfaction has created a culture where employees are happy to come to work and proud to be employed here!

"Good place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Boston, MA

Pros

This is a well respected firm.

Cons

The pay is not good.

Advice to Management

Get more aggressive.

3. "Internship review"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Very large life insurer
    Well designed summer internship and co-op programs
    Large organization -> various opportunities
    Very professional environment
    Convenient Location

Cons

Standard working hours only 37.5 hrs per week, not a good thing for people paid by hour
    If you don't like the idea of wearing a tie four days a week...

Advice to Management

Nothing really

4. "San Diego Admin. Assistant II"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant Ll in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant Ll in San Diego, CA

Pros

I work with two wonderful Bosses and I am so happy and blessed to have such a wonderful work environment

Cons

I am unable to move up in the company unless I move cities and I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

Advice to Management

I do not have any feedback or advice that I could offer to management or leaders at my company at the momment.

5. "john hancock is a very pleasant place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

firendly, supportive, and well recognized work place. Work and family life balance, management is very supportive for personal growth. Colleges are very supportive and emphysize on team work.

Cons

a little bit conservative when apporaching technical solutions. a bit longer for promotion, but overall compansation is good.

Advice to Management

keep employee well informed of what's company's long term plan. Give employee more opportunities to rotate their jobs.

6. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent several years working for John Hancock Mutual Funds. It was an amazing training ground for a sales rep. They provided me every opportunity to learn more about the industry and hone my selling and presenting skills. I highly recommend either working there or doing business with them.

Cons

Due to the fact that it is a great place to work not many people leave which does not provide a tremendous amount of opportunity for promotion. Also, they are a very conservative company that can at times feel a bit "stuffy". Very small faults for all the positive things I feel about the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue with the Leadership Committee which provided key employees direct contact with senior management.

7. "Excellent"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Work Life Balance and career opportunties. Engagement survey sent every two years; management responds well. Beautifful building and work enviroment in South Boston. Meaningful work; employees feel they are contributing to the success of the organization. Good balance of diversity amongst employees; not so much at sr. leadership.

Cons

1) The Back Bay offices are gray and non motivating. Management will not put money into creating a colloborative work environment.
    2) Poor planning on deliverables between John Hancock and Manulife;alot of duplication.

Advice to Management

Need to do a better job at planning the priorities of the company.

"Good Career Choice"

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at John Hancock full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to work on many types of technology projects over a decade. The long term employees have a very warm culture. Over the years, I have seen many people retire after 30+ years of service. Very uncommon given the current IT culture. Good solid performance is always recognized and rewarded. Management is willing to promote younger employees to high responsibility positions based on performance.

Cons

Technical careers have a clear dead end. Only management roles have a good career growth options. Having head office in Toronto makes it difficult to get exposure to higher management. Most of the technical work has gone to off-shore companies. Rest of the work is taken up by on-site offshore resources.

Advice to Management

Use industry best practices but always be open to customize them to suit the needs of the individual business unit or the total enterprise. Use more open source technologies to reduce costs and improve technology currency.

9. "Rewarding experience"

Pros

Very competitive environment that challenges and forces you to want to do well.

Cons

some people there can be pretentious at times

10. "Hard work and a strong work ethic enabled me to achieve an outstanding level of performance."

Current Employee - Office Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at John Hancock full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company that allows one to succeed and reach high levels of success.
    A company that values its workforce and rewards for hard work.
    A company that treats its retiree population with dignity and respect.
    A company that leads in community outreach services.

Cons

John Hancock does not have a major presence in Dallas, Texas.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on associates and reward them for the contributions they make to maintain a professional workforce.