John Muir Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Calvin (Cal) Knight

Pros
  • Great company with very good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• High quality patient care and employees at all levels passionate about what they do and how to make the best possible patient experience (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical disconnect between management and staff regarding day to day realities of patient care (in 4 reviews)

• New management doesn't have a clue about the John Muir culture (in 3 reviews)

1. "Medical Group"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Walnut, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, customer service delivery, training.

Cons

Corporate, aquiring practices to quickly.

"Nurses have to deal with poor management and favoritism"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wages & benefits are about all, unless you fit into a clique

Cons

supervisors give preference to those they like and are from the same culture, at the expense of being fair and equal to all. They say one thing and do another. It's like high school all over again but with lives at stake, literally. Schedules do not take into account that state law requires breaks for RN's, but no one is there to cover for you, so if you take a break, your patients are left with no nurse. In more than 10 years I can count on two hands how many 15 minute breaks I have had.

Advice to Management

Start trying to help your RN's instead of setting them up to fail and get burned out. Actually have a resource nurse that is there to help and give breaks and meal time to the RN's assigned to a team of patients. 1 resource nurse can cover 7 or 8 others in a 12 hour

John Muir Health Response

Apr 27, 2017 – Human Resources Business partner

Thank you for your feedback; this is why we encourage our employees to engage with us, sharing their concerns in the Employee Survey! It is our every intention to ensure our workplace exceeds ... More

3. "The company is a good step up from private practices but needs to give MAs room for growth."

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits , Epic system, good pay, you can learn a lot of skills from working the float pool, many different specialties

Cons

Not enough room for growth. 2% annual raises . Communication is often lost between upper management and employees, sometimes lacks in organization.

5. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Livermore, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

John Muir Health is a great place to work. Structured healthcare environment. John Muir has a strong culture and requires professionalism which includes a dress code for non-clinical areas. Recognized as a leader in Northern CA.

Cons

Like all healthcare systems, there is no shortage of work to done. I worked in IS and I do not have any "cons" to report. I would work there again.

6. "RN"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time

Pros

nurse driven environment and lots of support from health team members. This organization also supports and offers opportunity for higher learning.

Cons

In the past employee parking has been difficult, but they have taken measures from to provide a shuttle for employees to/from parking lot especially at night

Advice to Management

Provide more support to nursing, CNAs, physical and occupational therapy, and environmental services so that we ensure that our patients receive the best care possible.

"Department Secretary Neurosciences"

Current Employee - Department Secretary in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Department Secretary in Pleasant Hill, CA

Pros

Wonderful place to work for, they are caring and caring for the community is all about.

Cons

When it comes to the need of assistance in difficult times is hard to get the help.

8. "Project Manager - Contract"

Former Employee - Contract Project Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Contract Project Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People and excellent mission

Cons

PMO was VERY structured and 40% of my time was spent doing paper work and filling out forms!

Advice to Management

Streamline the PMO processes to balance compliance with effectivness

9. "John Muir Health"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent job security, great mentorship, highly skilled PT, OT, and ST, focus on quality care, competitive pay, great benefits, friendly envrironment

Cons

while working at JHM, there were times where it felt like taking your accrued time off was looked down on, can be stressful at times with emphasis on productivity

Advice to Management

include ways to boost moral during those times where employees are struggling to keep up with productivity and let them know you appreciate their hard work

10. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great organization to work for. They work hard to live up to the brand promise of "We Listen." Everyone does their job, so the good workers don't end up picking up slack of low performing employees which is the case in most unionized organizations.
    Magnet organization and one of the best organizations I've worked for. Great work environment.
    No "friction" between management and front line staff. They involve nurses in problem solving.
    Great team work, competitive pay.

Cons

One of the most challenging things is the very active cancellation policy for nursing. They can cancel upto an hour prior to shift starting. Then you're only cancelled for part of the shift. You have to wait for a call to find whether or not you have to go in for remainder of the shift.
    Small-er organization hence career mobility can be a challenge for some.

11. "one of the best companies to work for"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

supportive co workers and charges on the floor, lots of amenities for nurses, I started in April in their MSICU and had never heard of lift teams that visit ICU every two hours to help with turns, night CNA's, lots of opportunities for education. Non Union which means no seniority based vacation and scheduling preference so for someone new that is awesome. I don't automatically get stuck to work every Friday. Self scheduling that is 80% of the time granted.

Cons

Mandatory every other weekend scheduling, even if it was once a month it wouldn't be so bad.

Advice to Management

Please bring back the weekender program, employees that are happier especially nurses that represent the company for the most part and are on the forefront of patient care provide compassionate care to patients if they have more control over their schedules and working less weekends where they get to hang out with their families and refreshed return to work with an awesome attitude.