John Muir Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Calvin (Cal) Knight

Pros
  • Great company with very good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• High quality patient care and employees at all levels passionate about what they do and how to make the best possible patient experience (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical disconnect between management and staff regarding day to day realities of patient care (in 4 reviews)

• New management doesn't have a clue about the John Muir culture (in 3 reviews)

1. "An opportunity for both personal and professional growth that cannot be missed!"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

John Muir Health provides its employees with excellent benefits, opportunities for growth, incentives to stay healthy and help the environment. The staff works together as a cohesive unit. I feel like I am working with my closest friends and family members, rather than coworkers. Never have I worked in an environment that is so friendly. The various disciplines work well together towards the goals of providing excellent patient care, safety, and satisfaction.

Cons

Unfortunately, due to the economy, we are no longer reimbursed for continuing education.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest with your staff. Do not try to be a scapegoat or avoid confrontation.

2. "Magnet center w/ strong nursing leadership involvment"

Current Employee - Preoperative Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Preoperative Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Provide 5 days of paid education training, free CEU's, $1000 incentive for certifcation, Health incentive, discounts tickets for movies, entertainment etc.

Cons

Current construction for building expansion

Advice to Management

None

3. "Working at John Muir Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

There is great administrative support, teamwork in the unit, and John Muir Health provides great benefits. Providing quality care is a priority.

Cons

My only concern is that health care reform will put the organization in the position of not being able to provide some of the great things that they do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - listening to employees, recognizing excellence and clearing communicating the direction the organization is going.

4. "Challenging"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

JMH is an excellent place to gain good experience as a new RN (<3 years experience) especially in the Surgery Department where there are 13 rooms and multitude of specialities to be exposed to.

Cons

The staff rotation, we employ a lot of travelers year round to supplement our staff, training them over and over again can get tedious. And the vast about of various surgeries performed, it can become very challenging keep up to spend with each case. You become a Jack of all trades but Master of none.

Advice to Management

Finding a permaent PM charge RN that is fair and understands the demands of the 12 shift RN.

5. "great company to work for"

Former Employee - Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

excellent room for growth, great benefits! excellent learning experience, able to work around your schedule!

Cons

the turnover of managers at 1 particular site! the hiring of externs just because lack of staff and many are ignoring the patients as they gossip and talk on their cell phones, ive waited on hold for over 1/2 hour, the patients should feel safe and the staff should be more sympethic to their situation as we all would want to feel the same if we are in the same situation. the hiring of younger unskilled asympethic individuals per one hiring manager at the concord office stated ( we want young blood so that we may train them how we want them as they are set in their ways) compared to mature and very highly skilled individuals. ive work for a few major hospitals,stanford and uc davis and i learned how their systems worked and how their facility ran, i am able to adapt to any medical setting due to my experience, i see it as a little discrimination and after 9 years of dedicated service and 8 very much younger individuals whom were at the job 7 years less then me and my 20 plus years experience i did feel like i was discriminated against.

Advice to Management

your operations are greatly appreciated! you strive to make employees happy and the operations run smoother, you also take seriously any problems that arise and i believe john muir can only get better! i would look closley at the individuals that are hired over ones with much more expierence and longevity and see how many younger and underskilled individuals are being placed over ones like myself whom have much more expierence and more mature or i do see a lawsuit regarding discrimination.

"You wish you already had your 30 years in tenure in the bag for retirement benefits."

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prestige. Great town Walnut Creek. Well respected place. New construction. Generous with giving to good places. Try hard to do good work (Cancer Institute/Genetic Counseling). Many very very hard working and caring people there in many departments. The two I mention were very devoted to doing great work. Many women. Everyone works to get along and do laughing also. Win "best of's" and get great reviews and certifications. Very strong devoted axillary and many many volunteers and volunteer hours. Treat volunteers in departments like gold. Great computer and management classes and intranet classifieds and weekly paper of news.

Cons

They "don't like to hire more people in support positions that do not directly make money like a billable doctor would create. At the time if someone left they spread the work around to others instead of hiring a replacement. They say and I saw--hospitals move at a Glacial pace which I didn't know. I don't care for a glacial pace and change structure. Cost cutting when budget got difficult last 3rd of year. Everyone not nailed down got let go.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not for profit with Great benefits, beautiful weather

Cons

Large bureaucracy
    Very Expensive to live in CA

8. "The company I want to continue working for"

Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Concord, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I've worked with was what made me want to come to work everyday. In my department , everybody worked as a team and was always there to help each other out.

Cons

The only con I can think of working for this company is when the laboratory was sold and many employees were laid off, the company should have shown more effort to place them in different areas in the hospitals/departments. I heard some employers who applied for position that fits them weren't chosen but the position was given to someone else other than former employer of john muir .

9. "Forward thinking; independent health system"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great administration, working conditions

Cons

Health care in general is a challenge at this time

10. "Registration Clerk"

I worked at John Muir Health full-time

Pros

Company overall is great and awesome
    Always room for growth whether it be in the same or different department
    Benefits are a plus
    Coworkers and Supervisors were all super great

Cons

John Muir Health is only located in the East Bay from where I live

Advice to Management

Nothing, this company is awesome!