John Muir Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Calvin (Cal) Knight

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with very good benefits (in 15 reviews)

• High quality patient care and employees at all levels passionate about what they do and how to make the best possible patient experience (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical disconnect between management and staff regarding day to day realities of patient care (in 4 reviews)

• New management doesn't have a clue about the John Muir culture (in 3 reviews)

"Staff Nurse RN II"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Danville, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stellar and professional work environment! The nursing staff is hired very carefully and thus excellent outcomes!

Cons

Annual bonus could be bigger!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"This review is exclusively for Medical Surgical ICU, Walnut Creek Location"

Former Employee - ICU RN in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - ICU RN in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team work and good people on the unit.

Cons

For beginners this hospital is non union which means no granteed increases on pay ever, one of the lowest paid for RN's in the area. Don't count on getting any breaks in a 12 hour shift other than your unpaid 30 you clock out for and even then there will be no one to watch your patients, you will get back on the floor seeing your patients IV's out because no one was watching your patient. there are alot of charge nurses there which have been there for a long time, who cant even start an IV(scary in ICU) these are the folks that are supposed to be your resource, they have been charges for so long that they have no bedside experience yet they are left to watch your patients when your on your unpaid 30 min break you clock out for. If you speak out and question the patient safety they will make sure to give you the worst assignments with no opportunities to grow educationally.( black listed basically)
    I'm sure John Muir Health at one point was a great hospital to work for but that is no longer the case, at one point there will be a class action lawsuit against all the missed breaks for nurses as well as a state investigation on the ratio laws that are constantly broken on the unit, especially on night shift.do not put yourself or your license on the line for a organization that is reckless to save money, yet management is getting all kinds of bonuses.
    Explains why more than half the staff are travelers even travelers make comments such as "I will never come back here". Also if your hired for night shift you will never have an opportunity to move to days, they will hire externally for days and you wont get a chance to move up another wonderful perks working at a non union hospital.
    management will say things to you like dont change sheet if they are not visibly soiled when you give your patients baths at night!! really? because you can see germs!!! especially for our most vulnerable patient population in intensive care that's disgusting for an ICU. the medical surgical ICU still has carpets? which they might clean once a month but yet they got a brand new cafeteria for the hospital which shows what the management is more concerned about.
    retention is terrible of the 4 nurses I got hired with, all are already gone.

Advice to Management

give your nurses breaks, your going to loose alot more nurses and have a bad reputation in the area if you keep doing what your doing. Reconsider some of the manager in ICU, they are destroying the unit. Wake up Calvin Knight.

"Information Technology Departmenet"

Former Employee - Project Management Office Process Specialist/Project Management in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable and collaborative employees.

Cons

value resources and skilled employees

Advice to Management

Look at long-term gains, not short-term financial benefits

"IT"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at John Muir Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a great pay scale.

Cons

This company does not investigate improper business practices. Hr employees are all new no experience. Too many new people at once. IT not any better!

Advice to Management

Improper training

"Love JMPN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team-oriented, great benefits, transformational leadership, beautiful facilities, positive work environment and staff, has an involved Employee Satisfaction Team, it's a Highly-Reliable-Organization (HRO).

Cons

People stay at John Muir, so it can be hard to find open positions. Salaries are competitive, but not as high, (especially for entry-level positions) as some other healthcare organizations.

Advice to Management

Remember that every decision trickles down to patient care. As John Muir grows and expands, we need to remember that our patients need to come first, and our employees on the front line need to be sufficiently trained and recognized to ensure the best patient experience.

"Good Place to Work"

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with, pay and benefits are competitive. Employee's care about patients and family.

Cons

It was once a close knit culture and felt like a large family, the culture is changing to move with the time. It has a more corporate feel. The organization is growing.

7. "Avoid the MSO"

I worked at John Muir Health full-time

Pros

Friendly group of FTEs and consultants. People are largely driven by a desire to improve healthcare from the technical side. Pay was good and lots of flexibility for consultants.

Cons

Leadership/management lacking in people skills resulting in a constant uncomfortably awkward tension. Really apparent at the director level with significant politics/drama.

"Nurses have to deal with poor management and favoritism"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wages & benefits are about all, unless you fit into a clique

Cons

supervisors give preference to those they like and are from the same culture, at the expense of being fair and equal to all. They say one thing and do another. It's like high school all over again but with lives at stake, literally. Schedules do not take into account that state law requires breaks for RN's, but no one is there to cover for you, so if you take a break, your patients are left with no nurse. In more than 10 years I can count on two hands how many 15 minute breaks I have had.

Advice to Management

Start trying to help your RN's instead of setting them up to fail and get burned out. Actually have a resource nurse that is there to help and give breaks and meal time to the RN's assigned to a team of patients. 1 resource nurse can cover 7 or 8 others in a 12 hour

John Muir Health Response

Apr 27, 2017 – Human Resources Business partner

Thank you for your feedback; this is why we encourage our employees to engage with us, sharing their concerns in the Employee Survey! It is our every intention to ensure our workplace exceeds... More

9. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at John Muir Health full-time

Pros

Everyone is very dedicated to their work and I have only had a positive experience.

Cons

Not any that I can think of

10. "Ancillary Staff for Concord and WC campuses"

I worked at John Muir Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co-Workers!; nice facilities; financial compensation for certifications

Cons

Typical disconnect between management and staff regarding day to day realities of patient care. High productivity demands while simultaneously claiming patient's come first. Benefits (both health insurance and perk programs like scholarships, etc.) were slowly disappearing when I left.

Advice to Management

Reconcile productivity expectations with new HCAPS reimbursement protocols of patient satisfaction. Ask employees if they have thoughts on ways to increase efficiency before paying an outside company to make changes in departments they never even bothered to speak with.