John Q. Hammons Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Jacqueline A. Dowdy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work environment, good team moral (in 4 reviews)

• treats enployees great, good benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is sometimes rough but its what you sign up for (in 7 reviews)

• No one is willing to change and that makes it difficult for new ideas to come up the table (in 3 reviews)

1. "Housekeeper"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Chicago, IL

I have been working at John Q. Hammons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work.

Cons

Salary need adjust. Not too much to comment

2. "nice work experience"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Springfield, MO

I worked at John Q. Hammons part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was really relax to work there, working as a supervisor has a little freedom to work with your teams.

Cons

Not really find any Cons, sometimes the work is a little bit heavy but is okay, boss will give some extra benefit for that.

Sep 5, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback.

3. "Don't work in San Marcos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are nice, at least to your face

Cons

To Many to List
    If your part of the in group you are untouchable. Management doesn't care if you mess up if you stroke there ego. Can get away with almost anything if you are part of the group. don't do a good job..no problem..Late all the time or don't show up (just like most managers)..no problem..Take 50 smoke breaks..no problem..HR is never there for us. Door is always closed and unavailable for employees. Gossip everywhere. Now the way they bring up employee moral is put cameras in our break room and smoking area.

Advice to Management

Stop the gossip and favorites. Pay More and Reward your hard workers not just because they tell you management team what they want to here. HR there for there employees.

Sep 6, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. It is our expectation that both managers and associates alike are held to same standards. Please be assure that your comments have been shared with our executive team.

4. "Courtyard by Marriott Springfield, MO is awful"

Pros

Most of the coworkers are nice and easy to get along with, but management is completely incompetent and unresponsive to common issues.

Cons

The drama and the gossip, it's never ending. The GM will insist that she doesn't tolerate gossip, but she dismisses that it's happening so she doesn't have to deal with it. We have caught her trying to put her personal items in with guest dry cleaning so the hotel will pay for it, the dry cleaners even told us they recognized her things. Some supervisors start and engage in gossip and promote people to watch Netflix in the back office when it's not busy. The supervisors go on power trips and act like they're better than others. Certain employees go in to an unoccupied/out of order room and watch tv for a few hours while snacking and drinking things they stole from the walk in cooler while no one was looking. Management was made aware of this and admittedly did nothing. Some can no-call no-show a few times in a row and nothing results from it because they're "a good worker." So, if you can manage to become a favorite here you'll probably have a great "work" experience while those who actually do their jobs get picked apart for every little thing they do wrong.

Advice to Management

Read what I wrote and think about it for more than a few minutes before you dismiss it.

Sep 6, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. Our regional team is aware of your comments and will be looking into your concerns.

We would also like to encourage you to reach out to your Area Director of HR for... More

5. "Fast paced environment."

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Need a better PTO policy and cheaper benefits.

Jul 13, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. We will take your recommendation under consideration as we conduct our annual wage and benefit surveys coming up .

6. "Corporate brings it down"

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time

Pros

Commumity programs for line level staff, hotel discounts, property level management great and involved.

Cons

Zero base labor expectation for management. Audit system that does not consider actual operations. No formal training programs for line level staff or management. Priorotizes cutting costs over work life balance.

Advice to Management

Corporate management is completely terrible. There are too many RVPs for the amount of properties the company manages. Goals are unclear and often unrealistic. Instead of making cuts on the operational level downsize corporate and give properties the tools they really need to be the best.

Jun 14, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments will be shared with our corporate team to ensure we are providing the best possible support needed by the locations.

7. "Not good"

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time

Pros

Nice people, feed employee's. It's a nice work environment.

Cons

I'm doing the job of two people for little pay

Advice to Management

Pay a competitive salary.

Jul 10, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback.

Our goal is to provide a work environment that allows for life and work balance, while offering competitive wages within our industry. We encourage you to contact... More

8. "People are AWESOME- Management no so much- Pay bad -Life / Work balance very bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I worked at John Q. Hammons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

co workers are great to work with

Cons

No Training / Getting rid of bad employees impossible / pay is not good/want to work long hours

Advice to Management

Care about you line level employees and Managers. pay them better. care about them more/don't make them work as much. just because management doesn't have a life doesn't mean that other management and employees don't

Jun 7, 2017 – Digital Strategist

We are sorry to hear your employment experience was not satisfactory. As an employer in a fast pace, 24/7 industry, JQH Hotels strives to provide the best possible culture for its associates... More

9. "Stepping stone"

Pros

HR practices are by the book. No leeway makes thing fair. I liked their handling of the change in overtime laws by keeping us informed early. Different departments and associates all really tried to please guests.

Cons

There seems to be no vision for the company so there is no vision for you. High turn over in every department by both associates and management. A lot of people seem happy with where they are at. If you want more than that then this is just a stepping stone.

Advice to Management

Start some internal training programs, like "Lunch & Learns" or mentorship program. Encourage participation in industry organizations. Have a JQH orientation.

Apr 18, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. We do have several associates that have been with us for many years. This can at times limit opportunities for career growth at some locations. However, we do have... More

10. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Springfield, MO

I have been working at John Q. Hammons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Love the people I work with, and I love how things are familiar, but every event is different.

Cons

Some heavy lifting is required for different events, and if you aren't into working early morning and late night hours, this may not be the job you're looking for.

May 26, 2017 – Digital Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your employment experience with us.