Johns Eastern Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Don Lederer

"Solid pay, great benefits, large claim volume."

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Johns Eastern Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Johns Eastern has excellent benefits to include health, retirement, etc. The Norfolk, VA area manager as well as the supervisor are knowledgeable and offer superb training, advice, and direction. It is an excellent work environment.

Cons

The company is an independent adjusting firm, so the claims come from multiple carriers. Consequently, the claim volume can be exorbitant at points.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are really happy that Johns Eastern has turned out to be a great fit for you. Again, we appreciate your comments!

"Claims Adjuster"

I have been working at Johns Eastern Co. full-time

Pros

The company promotes from within and encourages professional growth. They treat their employees like a family and not like they are just a body to fill a position. They invest time in their employees.

Cons

Claims adjusting can be stressful and case load can be high at times. Flex time would be nice and the ability to work from home without having to use a personal day would be great.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people. Open up communication between management and staff a bit.

3. "Adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Lakewood Ranch, FL

I have been working at Johns Eastern Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family environment, stable company, in business for 70 years, strong reputation, growing, offers ability to advance career

Cons

At times can be a stressful environment but that is part of the claims adjusting career...not just Johns Eastern company

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen training program and continue to look for ways to strengthen technology.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are honored to have you on board at Johns Eastern. For 70 years we have been governed by our guiding principles which promote trust, respect and integrity ... More

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Johns Eastern Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Short commute, easy job. They do pay for you to get your adjusters license. The system is easy to navigate.

Cons

Drama, cliquey. It seems like the system goes down every single day. The manager is pretty much no help at all. Supervisors are cliquey as well, don't trust them.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what is going on in the branches. The supervisors are so unprofessional.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing what must have been a difficult situation. I hear your frustration and Johns Eastern is committed to increased communication and training across the organization. Through our ... More

"Clerical Support"

Former Employee - Clerical Support in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Former Employee - Clerical Support in Lakewood Ranch, FL

I worked at Johns Eastern Co. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food from vendors
    Generally nice co-workers
    nice courtyard and area around building
    really great location, plenty of lunch places to eat 5 minutes or less away
    walking distance to publix

Cons

small, dingy building
    monotonous work
    noisy work environment
    lackadaisical co-workers not reprimanded for constantly being on phones and not doing their work
    favoritism based on who you are connected with that works there

Advice to Management

Make work environment more exciting and reward those that work hard; get rid of people that constantly don't do what they are supposed to be doing because it affects the entire environment and the attitudes and moods of the people in it.

"Horrible training for new employees."

Current Employee - Adjuster Trainee in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Current Employee - Adjuster Trainee in Lakewood Ranch, FL

I have been working at Johns Eastern Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They bring in a lot of free food. Fellow co-workers are nice people. The courtyard is pretty. Secure building. Apparently they promote from within.

Cons

They don't provide you with the resources you need to do your job. The system crashes every ten minutes so it's really hard to get through work. They have zero training for adjuster trainees. It's pretty much sink or swim.

Advice to Management

Get supplies to new people so they feel comfortable and have what they need to work. Give people more than one day of training. The lack of communication is unbelievable.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to provide candid feedback. Because we think our employees are our most valuable asset, promotions do come from within the company. In fact, nine out of ten ... More

"Great family feel company"

Current Employee - Adjuster in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Current Employee - Adjuster in Lakewood Ranch, FL

I have been working at Johns Eastern Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training for new adjusters is above and beyond any other company in the area. Management from supervises all the way to the President care about the employees and want them to be successful. Health benefits are very generous and there are multiple plans to choose from. 37.5 hour work week. CEUs are offered in house.

Cons

The company just went through a computer system upgrade. This has been stressful for not only the employees but also the clients. There is a group of employees assigned to identify issues for employees and clients and hopefully this will make for a smoother transition. It's an adjusting company, adjusting can be stressful. That's not necessarily a con for the company, but the industry. No matter what company you work for you're going to have good days and bad days based on your caseload.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees to make it an even better company to work for.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Thanks for the positive comments! I agree that our leaders care about the success of each employee and encourage personal and professional growth. It is fair to say that any change, especially a ... More

9. "Adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Johns Eastern Co. full-time

Pros

One of the few companies who will hire trainee adjusters. Excellent training program. Company is growing and there are lots of opportunities to be promoted. Friendly atmosphere to work. Good benefits and generous PTO/vacation policies.

Cons

While we recently went thru a claims system upgrade, the system is very user friendly. It is always difficult during a transition with software similar to Outlook upgrades and it just takes some getting use to. New features are really nice!

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate goals and strategies to team members. It is

"monotonous work with no work/life balance"

Former Employee - Insurance Claims Adjuster in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Claims Adjuster in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Johns Eastern Co. (More than a year)

Pros

Management and coworkers were very personable and friendly.

Cons

The hours for the pay. I was at first brought on as a trainee at $15.62/hour and they had me running a claim or two a week. As soon as my trainee period ended and I was brought on fulltime $35,000/yr which equals about $18/hour my case load jumped to about 7-9 claims a week and I was running 13-16 hour days.

The big problem I had was the work is meaningless. None of it is particularly difficult, but there is a vast array of different claims and even more clients with completely different policies. This added more unnecessary time due to unfamiliar formatting, etc.

Advice to Management

Spend time training the specifics of each client. Claims adjusting isn't very difficult, it isn't challenging work, but having 15-30 different client guidelines and no time spent training for each client is an awful way to go about things.

11. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Johns Eastern Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, extensive benefit package and perks

Cons

Limited training and salaries tend to be on the lower side of the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Work on eliminating the nepotism and listen when staff requests assistance.