Johns Hopkins Medicine Reviews in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins Medicine Baltimore Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

Baltimore, MD

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay as compared to the industry (in 18 reviews)

• Lower pay than other local institutions and higher hourly expectations lead to a poor work life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place but you have to stay focussed"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you know how to make it a stepping tool, there are opportunities everywhere

Cons

No matter whatever position you are in you would always get paid the minimum, that is something Johns Hopkins seriously need to think about. If you cannot retain talent, you are losing.

Advice to Management

Just as with customers, hiring new employees is more expensive in the long run.

2. "Nurse Practitioner, Occupational Health"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position has been great. I really enjoy working with my supervisors and colleagues across the country. I have no real complaints.

Cons

The only downside is that I'm working alone in a clinic. For a new provider, this limits growth opportunities.

3. "Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, interesting work. Leading new things encouraged.

Cons

Low salaries, unless you are a physician.

4. "Research Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Research Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Research Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with, stimulating environment, good benefits.

Cons

The pay is relatively low for the qualification required.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty good in my experience.

5. "Great place to learn with great people"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to learn with great people

Cons

less compensations compared to work

6. "Good not Great"

Current Employee - Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 8 years)

Flex Time
    Good People
    Good Fringe Benefits

Cons

Bureaucracy
    Lack of Innovation
    Lack of Teamwork between departments
    Salary is not competitive

"Truly the weirdest, most bizarre place I've worked"

Former Employee - Business Process Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Business Process Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing (but keep in mind that I've worked at some of the best organizations in the nation and coming here was a culture shock. context matters)

Cons

The people were so unfriendly and unwelcoming. When I was brand new and would introduce myself via email to peers across different departments for help, I would literally never get a response back. No one responds to emails there!

There was no transparency and communication. The Epic transition was a nightmare and numerous reporting capabilities were just lost, but when I reached out to people to mitigate this I got no responses from them. No one knew what to do or who to contact.

My actual job was a nightmare. They really tried to combine two positions into one very low-paying job and it just didn't work. I worked with managers from two completely different areas, and I constantly had competing priorities. I always got the impression that my managers thought I was slacking off but I was really just working on projects for the other person. Also because people in outside departments wouldn't respond to my emails for assistance (despite multiple follow-ups), it would delay my progress on projects which also made it appear as if I weren't doing anything.

My managers were awful. They never provided direct feedback and were just extremely passive aggressive. I didn't realize that Hopkins had a four month probation period and I also didn't know that my managers were concerned enough about my performance to extend it because they just didn't tell me. My finance boss was a condescending jerk who talked to me like I was an idiot.

Hopkins doesn't operate like it's one of the best universities in the world. The office that I worked in was run-down and they barely turned the AC on in the summer and didn't turn the heat on in the winter. So cheap.

Finally Hopkins doesn't treat it's employees well. I gave my notice last week and when I came in to work a couple of days ago, they revoked my access to the shared drive even though I still have a week left in my notice period. I'm sure one of my managers requested this out of spite but I don't understand why they would be so petty and how they expect me to wrap up projects. Oh well, I will be surfing the internet for a week while getting paid. Works for me.

Advice to Management

None. You're behind help at this point.

8. "Great place to work hard surrounded by smart people"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time

Pros

Baltimore is cheap, so the graduate stipend is definitely enough. Great place to learn research. Very collaborative.

Cons

Very long hours are expected of you. This is place is perfectionist and workaholic... life/work balance? What is that? Obviously you want to be the best in your field.

Advice to Management

Better investment in retaining successful scientists. Lost too many of them to Texas. Otherwise, I am pretty proud to be a part of the Hopkins community.

9. "Eng Maintenance Tech"

Current Employee - Engineering Maintenance Technician I in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Engineering Maintenance Technician I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time

Pros

The work varies from in field troubleshooting, submittal and tech reviews, to construction inspections and installations.

Cons

The $$ does not match the work load and responsibilities, which already has no criteria for advancing.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to create a structure for advancement that would focus on duties and responsibilities, expertise, and then years of experience. Not just winging it as you see fit.

"Not What is expected"

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time

Pros

-Helpful to have Company name on resume for future job opportunities

Cons

-Unhelpful management
    -Management plays favoritism
    -Will still judge you because of ethnicity
    -Qualification of HR and other forms of Management are significantly under level of expectation
    -Toxic and too 'lax' work environment
    -Discriminant environment (yes, people still have problems because of ethnicity)
    -Low pay
    -Unnecessary parking fee (company parking should be free to employees)
    -Limited opportunities for licensed/non-licensed minorities
    -Concerns are viewed as complaints; they will try to rid themselves of you (i.e.; terminate you) if you do not like how they operate
    -Zero room for growth within company

Advice to Management

Hopkins International may look good on a resume, but as always, looks can be deceiving. I would not recommend working in the billing department for several reasons. Management is not as helpful as they should be. Being in a higher role means people will come with questions, hoping that they will either receive an answer or get pointed in the right direction; TO HELP THE ONES BELOW THEM SUCCEED. It doesn't take someone with a Doctorate or a PhD to understand that a functional/healthy environment requires everyone to play their part. My advice is to create a structure for advancement that actually focuses on duties and responsibilities, gaining expertise with years of experience. Have a structure set where an individual can truly grow within rather than improvising everything last minute.