Johns Hopkins Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Johns Hopkins Medicine CEO Paul B. Rothman
Paul B. Rothman

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay as compared to the industry (in 18 reviews)

• Lower pay than other local institutions and higher hourly expectations lead to a poor work life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work. Supportive staff. And my boss was willing to help when I needed it. I learned a lot.

Cons

Pay was low, but it was an internship so that is understandable. But overall I enjoyed the experience very much!

Advice to Management

I think the culture could be improved a little by trying to foster a group of interns that push each other to work harder. Maybe have an internship coordinator that oversees all of the interns.

2. "Not Your Parent's Johns Hopkins - Started with High Expectations... After a Year, Left Disappointed"

Former Employee - Medical Office Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Office Assistant in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to send employees for additional training upon request and supervisor approval. State-of-the-art technology as they use the Electronic medical records system EPIC Care and everything is accessible and navigating a patient's chart and information was refreshingly easy and efficient (though a 2 week course in Baltimore is required for all new hires and depending on the individual there can be an extended learning curve).

Flexible Schedule – Because of joining a larger group of cardiologists and the cross training on the EMR EPIC there was flexibility to work at other locations and greater availability to receive the needed coverage for when you wanted to take time off. Scheduling patients was also easier as more doctors, in a variety of locations, made same-day and hospital pre/post procedure scheduling easier and more convenient for the patients.

Cons

Pay - Very low for the area and job title/description. I was working for a private Cardiology practice when they were bought by Johns Hopkins Medicine (or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians) and of course needed to reapply for my position, which I completely understand and cooperated with, however, even after my former employers and doctors fought to get me a higher hourly wage (trying to get me as close as possible to the wage I had with them) I still received a pay cut of approximately $15,000 per year. This was with them allowing for me to have a higher wage than was usual for my position.

Health Insurance - One would think that since Hopkins is itself in the healthcare business that they would have excellent benefits. This is not the case, however, since their insurance forces you to use only Johns Hopkins physicians and facilities in order to receive your best in-network benefits. This was a problem because Hopkins does not have the large presence in Montgomery County, MD that it does in Baltimore and so finding specialists, lab facilities, and hospitals that would be in-network was a ongoing issue.

Reputation - Hopkins' reputation across the country and world is very positive and they are known for their ingenuity and talented surgeons and physicians. This is not true for the majority of the DC Metro Area. When patients were told that their cardiologist was being acquired by Johns Hopkins we received mostly negative feedback. The complaints that were the most common were regarding a shift to more impersonal patient interaction (we no longer directly answered the phone and a new answering system/prompt was implemented) and where patients felt like they were rushed in and out of 15 minute appointments with the doctor and only saw him for 5 minutes, with no real face-to-face time as he became concerned with deal with the computer and couldn't look at the patients anymore.

Advice to Management

If you want quality, dependable, and responsible employees who will stay with the company for the long haul there must be a change in how pay is determined. Working and living in Montgomery County, MD tends to be a lot for expensive than Baltimore County and the pay for Montgomery County employees does not reflect this or compare to other medical facility pay in the area for the same work. Johns Hopkins is known for low employee pay.

3. "Operating under the radar with squandered skill set"

Current Employee - Clinic Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinic Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the planet's smartest, funniest, and most-human people. Potential for lifetime learning and tremendous opportunities to add value ... if you can navigate the rocky shallows, murky backwaters, and avoid the undercurrent of negativity.

Cons

Some of the least-effective, most-protective, and quintessentially-counterproductive Administrators/bureaucrats on the planet. Creative people need not apply without receiving assurances that their creativity will be valued.

Advice to Management

Encourage intrapreneurship.

4. "Good Place to Learn"

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people dedicated to research and education.

Cons

Baltimore is not an ideal place to live.

5. "Opportunity to work among distinguished scientist"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people around.
    Great research facility.

Cons

Location of Medical School.
    Payscale for postdocs.

6. "Good place to work but know your worth"

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The name of course.
    Good location for the most part

Cons

Could probably make more else where
    Maybe more about who you know than whether or not your qualified
    Know your worth, ask for what you think you deserve

Advice to Management

I understand how the business model works: save as much money as possible while maintaining efficiency and productivity. At the end of the day though, employee satisfaction should also matter. I am aware of the name Johns Hopkins carrying so much weight in the real world, but pay your employees what they are worth. Don't short change them.

7. "RN Manager"

Former Employee - Manager RN in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager RN in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins Medicine (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work for. I highly recommend the experiences here unlike many facilities around the world.

Cons

Some minor political issues. Much better management than any organization I have worked at before.

Advice to Management

They are supportive and team management approach

8. "Senior Administrative Coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Their customer service is generally great. The quality of positions that I have worked have been great as well.

Cons

Temporary Employment, an insufficient amount of job training. Job expectations have sometimes be unreasonable

Advice to Management

Advocate more frequently for your employees, when it comes to job placements

9. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Physician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Physician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits including vision and dental
    Great fellow employees who are dedicated to their jobs regardless of title

Cons

Very long days at work

Advice to Management

Keep working with the command center

10. "Great place but you have to stay focussed"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you know how to make it a stepping tool, there are opportunities everywhere

Cons

No matter whatever position you are in you would always get paid the minimum, that is something Johns Hopkins seriously need to think about. If you cannot retain talent, you are losing.

Advice to Management

Just as with customers, hiring new employees is more expensive in the long run.