Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Washington DC Reviews

Updated March 13, 2017

Washington, DC Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Director Dr. Ralph Semmel
Dr. Ralph Semmel

Pros
  • Work life balance is impressive compared to other companies (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits - flexible hours - good staff resources (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Matrix organization can be difficult to create a vertical career path (in 8 reviews)

• There are layers and layers of management (in 4 reviews)

1. "Techical Staff"

Former Employee - Technical Staff in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Staff in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

APL has many interesting problems and one is surrounded by top quality scientists and engineers who are fundamentally interested in science and not just the deliverables.

Cons

multiple projects and tight deadlines sometimes mean that you cannot afford to spend the time on certain problems which are otherwise deserving.

2. "Principal Professional Staff"

Current Employee - Principal Professional Staff in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, great vision for the future, great people. This is one of the best places in the nation to work.

Cons

Some middle managers don't want the boat rocked. Try to embrace change. It is going to happen in any case.

Advice to Management

Follow the Director's lead! This place is being transformed in a great way before our eyes.

"Good place to work, smart people"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Business-like and intelligent technical staff, some interesting projects

Cons

Not as much freedom on projects as some want, management varies

Advice to Management

Trust your researchers, don't over-manage projects

"Excellent R&D Organization"

Current Employee - Principal Staff in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Staff in Laurel, MD

Pros

I've worked here for 20 years. Over time the work has improved, declined and improved again as you'd expect for a UARC. There are opportunities for staff with any technical discipline to work on projects of their choosing, conduct leading edge research and gain proficiency in their field.

The current Director seems to understand how to approach the 21st century for both work and staff engagement. He has created multiple incentive and innovative programs to engage staff - they are very well received.

Overall, the work is solid, the pay is good (not great) and opportunities are plentiful.

Cons

The organization has tripled in size while i've worked here. I'm sure there is some management rulebook that defines how many managers are required for certain activities and numbers of staff and that mentality has been embraced here. We have multiple managers for nearly everything. There are managers managing groups of managers who manage...paperwork. The somewhat expected but annoying piece of management is many of them are not technically competent and provide limited utility to the projects they oversee.

Advice to Management

Focus on people and production and less on paperwork and forms.

Get out more and talk to people.

"Great Place to Work and Retire"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is impressive compared to other companies. I regularly had to work 10+ hours, weekends, holidays, and called on vacation to solve issues in other companies. Where I work now at JHUAPL it is policy to not do this unless your in IT. If your in IT you have some extra hours but only if there are issues or your on-call. They do however reward those who work extra hours to get things accomplished or work on potential solutions. I look at working here in a way like Google with the freedom and ability to come up with innovative solutions.

Benefits are past amazing and retirement contribution is far greater than anywhere else. Our family uses all the benefits we can and it is far cheaper than other companies when considering what you get in return. We couldn't believe what we could get with the little we pay. If you contribute 4% towards retirement they double and add a % based on your salary. This can be a lot if you spend most of your career here.

The freedom we have is incredible. They highly reward positive work ethics, hardworking people, and those that want to contribute. I have the freedom to provide recommendations and disagree with management which is not something most companies tolerate. You obviously need to do it professionally and respectfully.

There is ample opportunity for advancement. You also have the ability to stay where you are. Management where I am has a desire to ensure people are happy and work towards ensuring this is the case. Management even steers away from anything that results in weekend work as much as they can and even tells others in management their teams can't do something if it results in weekend or holiday work. This could be different elsewhere in the organization. It just depends on where you are and what you do.

If you have a good work ethic, professional in what you say to others and management, and offer suggestions or recommendations for improvement you will do well here. While no company or organization is perfect this is the best place to work and retire comfortably. I plan on staying until I retire and I am young.

Cons

There can be lots of down time but it is what you make of it. You have to have the vision to make your own work that is in line with the direction of the organization. Not a complete con but can be if you don't have the capability or desire of making your own work and prefer companies to tell you what to do then it is a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to give latitude to people and allow them to try out ideas. Continue to reward those that contribute, work hard, and come up with solutions to solve critical challenges.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

Pros

Engaging work, staff is generally motivated and intelligent. Different departments are very different in type and consistency of work. Some have long-standing contracts that are very reliable and others have to be constantly looking for new contracts, which can keep things interesting but also stressful.

Cons

Overhead has been cut dramatically over the last 10 years or so.Overhead seems to be considered evil, rather than a cost of maintaining technical leadership. Capital equipment investment in some areas is fine, but others is way too low.

"Excellent Place to work and getting better all the time"

Current Employee - Principal Professional Staff in Laurel, MD

Pros

APL has an incredible mission, is driven by excellence and hires many of the top technical staff in the nation. The Director has set a vision that is compelling and sets a high standard for performance. Staff are dedicated and willing to help. You can make your own career path based on your initiative and abilities.

Cons

Internal processes are slow to change. Everyone has to agree before something can change and that takes a lot of time.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for change and higher contributions by all.

9. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting work, excellent staff, challenging assignments.

Cons

Not much negative to list.

Advice to Management

none

10. "Wonderful Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Pros

You can chose your projects, and really feel valued.

Cons

It's easy to overwhelm yourself with too many projects... just slow down.

11. "ASPIRE Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Bowie, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

good work environment, friendly staff, quiet

Cons

not much that interns get to see but you're an intern