Johns Manville Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Johns Manville President & CEO Mary Rhinehart
Mary Rhinehart

Pros
  • Ownership structure is remarkable - JM is a Berkshire Hathaway portfolio company (in 10 reviews)

• Great salary and great benefits package (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management can be out of touch (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours with deal with itchy fiberglass (in 3 reviews)

"Manager"

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Challenging work environment, interesting job, good management. They take great pride in taking care of their employees, and they try really hard to take care of them.

Cons

Old school manufacturing environment. Change comes hard for management. They don't understand the younger work force. Dress code is rather high for manufacturing company. They don't allow work from home.

"Lots of change"

Former Employee - Senior Commodity Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Commodity Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some parts of the company culture that actually happen. The overall work environment is very positive. Everyone is very nice. There is currently a lot of change planned for supply chain. This could be good, creating opportunity, or....Would have like to stay, just wasn't going to work out.

Cons

Despite claiming market based pay, the general consensus is that the salaries are below market. The supply chain is very flat which has led to very limited opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

JM has a lot of very long term employees, particularly at the plants. But this does not so much reflect company culture at WHQ, realize the difference. 3% cost of living increases don't keep up with the rapidly rising, and higher than national average cost of living in Denver. Apartment rent alone is going up 13% per year. Realize this and act on it for the benefit of your employees. Recognize the importance of growth for employees you want to keep. Do these things and you are likely to have longer-term employees at WHQ in Denver.

"Sales"

I worked at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

Flat management structure. Promotes from within whenever possible. Owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Invests in the business.

Cons

Sometimes slow to react to market conditions. More innovation needed.

"Former employer many years ago"

Former Employee - Forms Coordinator
    Former Employee - Forms Coordinator

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent incentive programs to encourage an individual to always better themselves; opportunities for advancement after one year in current position

Cons

Occasionally a supervisor will hold you back from advancing in the company as was the case with me for 10 years. I finally had to sneak around her when she was on vacation and go above her head in order to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Watch for those individuals who do not allow there subordinates to advance in the company.

6. "Alabama is not that place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phenix City, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phenix City, AL

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice communities to leave in. Traveling to near by various cities is numerous and at ease. I am from the area and some of my family works with me. Makes it a little more fun environment.

Cons

The pay scale for this plant is not justified to the rest of the family. The plant is at it rebuilding stages. Infrastructure is under construction.

Advice to Management

Be open minded on employee issues and concerns. Provide the safest work environment possible. Have more supervisors to employees evolvement

"Good Job!"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Hamlet, IN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Hamlet, IN

I worked at Johns Manville (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the pay.

Cons

Job got hectic at times and very long hours in the summer time.

"What was once a good, employee focused company became all about the numbers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Littleton, CO

I worked at Johns Manville (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful location, fair pay, fair benefits

Cons

Management, numbers only focused, too much management turn over

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like they are numbers

9. "management"

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

lots of overtime when business is booming

Cons

feels management doesn't care about employees at times just make product

10. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has longevity and is in a great location in Denver.

Cons

You can not grow with the company if you do not have a college degree. For employees hired within the 1990's that do not have degrees they are under appreciated, yet they have company product history and knowledge.

Advice to Management

Look at the employees that have stayed with JM and worked very hard, pay them accordingly.

"A great place to work if you hate your family"

Pros

I have to admit that I learned more working at JM in any given 6 month stretch than I did the entire time I was in college. They genuinely do try to develop their people, and promote from inside the company... as long as it is a production position. It's a whole different story on the salaried staff side.

Cons

There are many:
    - A toxic culture that focuses more on who to blame for problems then actually resolving or (gasp) preventing the problem in the first place
    - Crushing workload... Be very careful with what responsibilities you accept working with JM. If you touch something once or accept a task, then it will be yours to handle for the rest of your time in the position. If you do well in your position in the beginning, management will continue to pile on more work. Then, once you stop being productive due to the amount of work put on your plate, they will start giving you bad reviews and drive you out.
    - My position required very little travel when I started, but as the position changed, I started having to travel a lot and had a significant increase in workload. I was never given compensation for the additional work.
    - Upper management is very hit or miss when it comes to competency. In my department, it as pretty much a long string of misses.

Advice to Management

Changing your people won't change the culture unless you are getting rid of the people that are causing the problems. However, firing people until you either get the right group or until everyone is so terrified about "toeing the line" that they automatically do what management says without thought, is only going to make things worse.