Johns Manville Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Johns Manville President & CEO Mary Rhinehart
Mary Rhinehart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My department is very supportive of work/life balance and we have the choice to work remote as needed (in 7 reviews)

• Stable, part of Berkshire Hathaway (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Inflexible about hours/work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours with deal with itchy fiberglass (in 3 reviews)

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good people (mostly)

Cons

Horrible work/life balance

Do not value their employees; you will be micro-managed, your every move questioned and ultimately burned out!

They have unions for a reason.

Advice to Management

Look at your leaders; you need to fix them. They are so focused on production that they forget the people who make production happen. Give people the chance to fail and learn from their mistakes, rather than punishing them for them. Seek out your top talent and do whatever it takes to keep them, rather than pushing them out with stupid policies, bad management and micro-management.

"What was once a good, employee focused company became all about the numbers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Littleton, CO

I worked at Johns Manville (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful location, fair pay, fair benefits

Cons

Management, numbers only focused, too much management turn over

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like they are numbers

"A great place to work if you hate your family"

Pros

I have to admit that I learned more working at JM in any given 6 month stretch than I did the entire time I was in college. They genuinely do try to develop their people, and promote from inside the company... as long as it is a production position. It's a whole different story on the salaried staff side.

Cons

There are many:
    - A toxic culture that focuses more on who to blame for problems then actually resolving or (gasp) preventing the problem in the first place
    - Crushing workload... Be very careful with what responsibilities you accept working with JM. If you touch something once or accept a task, then it will be yours to handle for the rest of your time in the position. If you do well in your position in the beginning, management will continue to pile on more work. Then, once you stop being productive due to the amount of work put on your plate, they will start giving you bad reviews and drive you out.
    - My position required very little travel when I started, but as the position changed, I started having to travel a lot and had a significant increase in workload. I was never given compensation for the additional work.
    - Upper management is very hit or miss when it comes to competency. In my department, it as pretty much a long string of misses.

Advice to Management

Changing your people won't change the culture unless you are getting rid of the people that are causing the problems. However, firing people until you either get the right group or until everyone is so terrified about "toeing the line" that they automatically do what management says without thought, is only going to make things worse.

"An unpleasant work experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Johns Manville (More than a year)

Pros

Paid well with great benefits. When I was injured on the job, they did cover everything that my health insurance did not.

Cons

From the beginning, I begged for training in product knowledge so that I could better support the executives I served. Aside from a half-day orientation, I did not receive any product training -- I felt as if I was floundering the whole time. I was miserable in meetings because they were speaking in the scientific terminology that pertained to the product.

Many managers, including the CEO, were jettisoned during my time there so the company was always in flux.

The employee facing IT was horrible. JM subscribes to SAP, but it was not set-up in a user friendly configuration so that was, also, always a struggle. It was a relief when they "eliminated" my job two days after I went on surgery leave.

Advice to Management

My advice to Warren Buffett would be to take a more proactive approach to the oversight of JM.

5. "Assistant operator"

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

Only work about half the year. Almost unlimited ot if wanted

Cons

They are very reactive instead of proactive and don't seem to care much for employees

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the actual operations of the plant. Talk to employees before making a reactive change

"Comptetitive Environment"

I worked at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

Lots of great experience and exposure. If you can follow the cultural norms (see Cons, below), you will get ahead.

Cons

The way to get ahead in this company is to step on others along the way. The Blame Game is a big part of the culture here. Your fellow colleagues will not support you. Instead, they will find a way to make you look bad as a way for them to look better.

"Needs better management and scheduling"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Scottsboro, AL
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Scottsboro, AL

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance and 401k
    People on the floor work well together
    Safe environment

Cons

Clueless bean counters guiding management and they allow it
    Wont hire enough people to do the job
    A little overtime is nice but three years of it gets old. No family life.
    Management is dishonest and unprofessional

Advice to Management

Go somewhere else and give a human being a chance

"Avoid the OKC location"

Pros

Experience depends on location and division. Decent pay, good work-life balance, good 401k and some benefits. Some locations are really good!

Cons

Oklahoma City has a questionable management style. There tends to be under-qualified people in positions which they have no relevant experience. Do not depend on HR for any ethical behavior.

If you want to move up in JM, it is all about playing games and making friends with the right people.

Very unprofessional management style, horrible HR, poor vacation time and bonuses, bad communication, unethical. Micro-managing to the max. If you want anything out of this company, you have to ask for it multiple times. Nothing will easily be given to you.

Advice to Management

Please realize the importance of having clear communication and valuing your employees, even if they are low-level; these people make the company profit. Micro-managing and yelling makes employees unmotivated and miserable. A company and employees can only progress as far as it's leaders do.

"Plant review"

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great employees and pay.

Cons

Down size, if you are a in management every time there is a upper manage organization change your job is not safe, Johns Manville changes upper manager every three years, thus
    lowered manager are terminate .

Advice to Management

Look to see how if your middle managers are actually following the core value of integrity

10. "Great company/organization in the past, in trouble during recent managment tenure"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at the plants working to implement ill conceived edicts.

Cons

Has become too political, senior management is micro-managing from ivory tower with little background in manufacturing and competent management. Senior leaders and their direct reports are rewarded in simply pointing out problems, rather then developing effective solutions with those performing the work.

Advice to Management

Endeavor to rectify issues of the recent past and become experts at effectively managing people. A socio-technical approach in the context of systems engineering would be of great benefit.