Johns Manville Reviews | Glassdoor

Johns Manville Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Stable, part of Berkshire Hathaway (in 11 reviews)

• Great Company with great benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Inflexible about hours/work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours with deal with itchy fiberglass (in 3 reviews)

"Sales"

I worked at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

Flat management structure. Promotes from within whenever possible. Owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Invests in the business.

Cons

Sometimes slow to react to market conditions. More innovation needed.

"Former employer many years ago"

Former Employee - Forms Coordinator
    Former Employee - Forms Coordinator

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent incentive programs to encourage an individual to always better themselves; opportunities for advancement after one year in current position

Cons

Occasionally a supervisor will hold you back from advancing in the company as was the case with me for 10 years. I finally had to sneak around her when she was on vacation and go above her head in order to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Watch for those individuals who do not allow there subordinates to advance in the company.

3. "Alabama is not that place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phenix City, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phenix City, AL

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice communities to leave in. Traveling to near by various cities is numerous and at ease. I am from the area and some of my family works with me. Makes it a little more fun environment.

Cons

The pay scale for this plant is not justified to the rest of the family. The plant is at it rebuilding stages. Infrastructure is under construction.

Advice to Management

Be open minded on employee issues and concerns. Provide the safest work environment possible. Have more supervisors to employees evolvement

"What was once a good, employee focused company became all about the numbers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Littleton, CO

I worked at Johns Manville (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful location, fair pay, fair benefits

Cons

Management, numbers only focused, too much management turn over

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like they are numbers

"Good Job!"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Hamlet, IN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Hamlet, IN

I worked at Johns Manville (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the pay.

Cons

Job got hectic at times and very long hours in the summer time.

6. "management"

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

lots of overtime when business is booming

Cons

feels management doesn't care about employees at times just make product

7. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has longevity and is in a great location in Denver.

Cons

You can not grow with the company if you do not have a college degree. For employees hired within the 1990's that do not have degrees they are under appreciated, yet they have company product history and knowledge.

Advice to Management

Look at the employees that have stayed with JM and worked very hard, pay them accordingly.

"A great place to work if you hate your family"

Pros

I have to admit that I learned more working at JM in any given 6 month stretch than I did the entire time I was in college. They genuinely do try to develop their people, and promote from inside the company... as long as it is a production position. It's a whole different story on the salaried staff side.

Cons

There are many:
    - A toxic culture that focuses more on who to blame for problems then actually resolving or (gasp) preventing the problem in the first place
    - Crushing workload... Be very careful with what responsibilities you accept working with JM. If you touch something once or accept a task, then it will be yours to handle for the rest of your time in the position. If you do well in your position in the beginning, management will continue to pile on more work. Then, once you stop being productive due to the amount of work put on your plate, they will start giving you bad reviews and drive you out.
    - My position required very little travel when I started, but as the position changed, I started having to travel a lot and had a significant increase in workload. I was never given compensation for the additional work.
    - Upper management is very hit or miss when it comes to competency. In my department, it as pretty much a long string of misses.

Advice to Management

Changing your people won't change the culture unless you are getting rid of the people that are causing the problems. However, firing people until you either get the right group or until everyone is so terrified about "toeing the line" that they automatically do what management says without thought, is only going to make things worse.

"An unpleasant work experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Johns Manville (More than a year)

Pros

Paid well with great benefits. When I was injured on the job, they did cover everything that my health insurance did not.

Cons

From the beginning, I begged for training in product knowledge so that I could better support the executives I served. Aside from a half-day orientation, I did not receive any product training -- I felt as if I was floundering the whole time. I was miserable in meetings because they were speaking in the scientific terminology that pertained to the product.

Many managers, including the CEO, were jettisoned during my time there so the company was always in flux.

The employee facing IT was horrible. JM subscribes to SAP, but it was not set-up in a user friendly configuration so that was, also, always a struggle. It was a relief when they "eliminated" my job two days after I went on surgery leave.

Advice to Management

My advice to Warren Buffett would be to take a more proactive approach to the oversight of JM.

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Professional in Etowah, TN
    Current Employee - Professional in Etowah, TN

Pros

Financially in great shape. Plant generally have low turnover and well trained. Safety is high priority company wide.

Cons

Fast pace manufacturing, Somewhat of a "sink or swim" approach if you are starting in a new position.