Johnson Controls Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

George Oliver
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You might be working on a project from different time zones(like USA & etc) which sometimes makes work-life balance poor (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management need to be improved (in 42 reviews)

"Buildings IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before the merger, JCI was a great environment with room for innovation and creativity to help the business succeed with technology.
    Initial salaries offered (and hopefully still is) on pace in the IT industry.
    Benefits are adequate.
    Strong sales leadership in Global Products and HVAC - NA teams.

Cons

Since the merger, the focus is on keeping the lights on and innovation is shut down due to "budget".
    Now company that only tracks shareholder value. If the company doesn't value the people producing that value, there is absolutely no reason to work there
    The company is hemorrhaging IT talent due to the lack of support and flat culture.
    Systems will continue to become outdated as their is no investment in providing up to date tools.
    Flat salaries after hire. 3%/year doesn't even keep up with the cost of living.

Advice to Management

Moving to updated UI's is not an improved tool, just a lipstick on a pig.
    Tell George Oliver to shave that rag off his lip. It just looks weird.

"A shell of the former Johnson Controls"

Former Employee - Director, Executive Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Director, Executive Management in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great facilities (applies to Milwaukee) and good people.

Cons

It's hard to be succinct here. I worked in or with AE (Automotive), Power Solutions, Corp, and BE (now called BT&S) over a 6 yr period with my tenure divided into AE, and "the rest". During my time in AE I truly considered JCI to be the absolute best company I'd ever worked for...ethical, profitable, transparent, self-aware - to the point of being irritating. We knew what our faults were and took steps to improve. I'd never experienced anything like it. Several years ago I took a new position which led me to work in the non-Automotive portions of the company. JCI's CEO sold the investors a bill-of-goods, which was to spin off, divest, and rid itself of the so-called low margin Automotive business to position itself as a "multi-industrial". So JCI sold Electronics (successful - high margin, despite what analysts claimed), spun Interiors into a JV, then separated the rest of AE into Adient, now a separate company. Finally JCI merged with Tyco. Since taking those steps, Adient's stock has risen betwen 50% - 75%, and the new JCI's is down 50% and is seemlingly stuck in a rut. After my experience I am not surprised at all. This new non-Auto JCI and the current management team lacks ethics (read about CEO affair with consultant, CEO involvement with Ponzi scheme crook, and BOD looking the other way), it is not transparent, and company constantly pats itself on the back and congratulates itself on how great it is. The company is no longer great and a lot of talent has exited in the past 2 years, both from JCI and from Tyco. Explain to me how JCI is a multi-industrial when it shed it's Auto, shed Global Workplace Solutions, and will probably shed it's battery business to narrowly focus on Building Technologies only? The stock price is indicative of what's happening folks - no surprise to me. This is not a company on the way up.

Advice to Management

Clean house - the real leadership talent left and went to Adient, or left the company altogether. JCI is in need of a re-boot. Investors have figured this out...analysts seem slow to believe. Believe it.

"Watch out for Johnson Controls"

Former Employee - Executive Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Executive Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay good lip service to being about the people, but are not. Culture at the top level of management is not inclusive, at all so if you make it to the good ole boy network you are safe. If you want to live Game of Thrones, come work here in mid-upper, executive management.

Cons

Duplicitous, deceitful, underhanded, Not too many adjectives that are negative I would not use here. 100% watch your back at all times as the culture is gestapo like. I left a significant position due to not being able to deal with nonsense here, and my life has been 1000x better for it.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, develop better internal controls on your security investigative teams and examine your complaint processes...they are unreal. Know who fights for the organization and its people and who are cancerous and react accordingly. Protect and assist your star performers through the internal landmines that have been initiated by your culture.

"Lighting Engineer"

Former Employee - Lighting Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Lighting Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Interesting projects

Cons

lighting department lacks skill and organization in general. Management are car salesmen types with absolutely no ethics so employees fall prey to a finger pointing attitude as a coping mechanism. You may be twice as skilled as a colleague but if a mgr does not view you as someone who will cover their butt from every angle, you won't be the promoted. I have also seen good people leave because they were refused safety measures requested.

Advice to Management

Ethics Training

"leadership development"

Former Employee - Leadership Development in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Leadership Development in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

compensation and benefit is attractive and competitive

Cons

company culture and work environment is awful

6. "Facilities Project Management=stealing from company"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls (More than a year)

Pros

None. They are dishonest, cheap, and morally corrupt.

Cons

This is one shady company. I would not be a part of this company selling inferior products to its customers. This is the fox watching the hen house!

Advice to Management

Turn yourself in!

"Enron 2.0"

Former Employee - Corporate Finance in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Benefits are decent, good products - chillers, batteries etc.

Cons

Mark my words in spite of SOX, Dodd Frank etc. this company is going to crash and burn. They are extremely unethical, the marriage to Tyco is like Bernie Madoff marrying Bernie Ebbers. Do a google search on the CEO for color. They notoriously acquire companies to enter markets and then don't integrate those companies into the mother ship but rather bleed them dry. I literally witnessed criminal activity (which I've reported) in MWK, I saw them take $25M in top line credit for shuffling paperwork in the wholesale energy market. And now they purchase Tyco with their checkered background to avoid paying corporate taxes. Hundreds if not thousands of quality employees have run from this place the last few years. For those who haven't yet I strongly urge you to get out.

"Company Overview"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary, and free parking

Cons

Political management. short on ethics, lack of accountability, and common business sense

Advice to Management

Start thinking about the customers and stock holders and less about your annual bonuses

9. "Billing Specialist"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any pros to this position. Don't ever get hung up on the name of a company it's over rated.

Cons

Make less when you get hired on and if they hire you on. Parking absolutely sucks.

Advice to Management

Temps have to work harder than permanent employees. Even though a temp may be a high producer, your still on the bottom of the list for being hired on and getting a schedule that helps with your home life. It's impossible to make what your actually worth.

"Senior Representative"

Current Employee - Senior Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At this time I can not provide a "Pro" to working at Johnson Control, Inc, Milwaukee Business Service Center

Cons

The Milwaukee Business Service Center will off-shore all accounting and finance position as of January 22, 2016.

Showing 18 of 2,300 reviews