Johnson Controls "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 25 Nov 2019

3.3
Johnson Controls CEO George Oliver
George Oliver
Pros
  • "Good benefits with opportunities to move within(in 132 reviews)

• "Good pay and good full benefits(in 131 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good LARGE company to work for"

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

The sky is the limit as far as pay Commission is great here You can be promoted in a sales exec roll without someone needing to leave.

Cons

Not a lot of upper movement for management Upper management seem somewhat removed for operational needs of sales/service/install

Advice to Management

When the customer ACTUALLY comes first everyone wins.

Johnson Controls2019-11-25

"Formerly great company"

Former Employee - Controller

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Career Development and opportunities available

Cons

Poor upper management since Tyco execs took control

Johnson Controls2019-10-10

"RUN! Do not work here under this disastrous management"

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I used to be able to name many. Now I struggle to think of even one. The local teams in the branches are the only pro I have. You build close relationships with them, because you are all trying to help each other survive this storm.

Cons

Please heed my warning - this ship is sinking, and quickly. Unless the current CEO, George Oliver and ALL of his little minions get the boot, and this company miraculously turns things around, do not work here.. They will absolutely drain your brain and your soul. There is no work life balance. Upper level management absolutely does not care about the employees or the customers. They care about wall street and the... stock price. Only the local HVAC branches are still trying their best to take care of customers. Upper management is creating more red tape by the day, eliminating critical support roles, centralizing and outsourcing entire teams of vital employees, and asking you to do more with less. They are literally LOWERING people's pay grades by changing their job titles. They delay raises, won't pay their vendors, and the benefits package gets worse by the year. Merging with Tyco is the absolute worst thing JCI could have done. They are not customer or employee focused, and they dumped that culture all over legacy JCI. This place is a disaster. We used to have great job security. Now, we ALL fear for our jobs on a daily basis. This is George's world, and we are just living in it. The second we lost Bill Jackson (the only legacy-JCI, upper-level manager who knew how to run a business), I knew there was no way we could come back from this. He was our last hope. We are the laughing stock of our industry now. Then, they had the actual nerve to email all employees asking US to donate money to THEM so that they can fight the US Government on the fact that they are no longer allowed to work on government projects, since they moved their headquarters (their PO box) to Ireland, and stopped paying US Taxes. Which, I might add, they created their own loophole around and are still working on government projects anyways. But we should give them money from our paychecks, where we paid taxes, so that they can keep on avoiding taxes. Sounds ethical, right? I had to make my review anonymous because I know they will retaliate. They are notorious for it. George even pays people to write positive reviews about him on here! LOL!

Advice to Management

Get rid of George Oliver. Find a way to focus on customers again and cut the red tape. Seriously, go take a class from Disney on how to empower your employees and give them the authority to take care of your customers. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers, and your customers will take care of you and your stock price!!! Stop trying to do all of your crooked financial schemes to... increase your stocks and just do business the RIGHT and ETHICAL way. Don't push ethics if you can't practice what your preach. Don't push organizational health when you have destroyed ours. Stop lowering our pay and hurting us financially to help yourselves!!

Johnson Controls2019-09-20
  4. "Women Need Not Apply"

Current Employee - Administrator in New Castle, DE

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can’t think of even one

Cons

To begin with, the culture is very male oriented, and women are looked down upon and treated poorly. Management in Delaware very plainly has made written sexist and profane comments about female managers and nothing gets done about it. The hours are long, and you are often expected to reply to emails after hours. There is no accountability within each branch and Upper management only hires managers to work under... them if they think the new hire won’t be a threat to their own jobs. As a result, efficiency is awful and the morale in worse.

Advice to Management

Remove your heads from under the rock and realize that you are a public company with accountability to shareholders. Remove managers who do t like women in the work place, and start worrying about doing things the right way for the company, not for your pocket.

Johnson Controls2019-06-07
  5. "Poor work life balance"

Former Employee - Associate Engineer

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with new technologies, interesting domain

Cons

Below average pay, no fixed work times, poor upper management

Johnson Controls2019-05-04

"Okay... but not good or great."

Current Employee - Fire Alarm Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paycheck every week. Decent 401k match (5%). Nice vacation package (for now). When you get NICET certification you get a raise.

Cons

Poor health insurance plans for a company this size. Only deposits their matching 401k contribution once a year. Out of touch upper management. Low company moral. Middle management seems to focus on annual bonuses/metrics so the local branch and hourly employees suffer. Feels like the "voice" of the employee falls on deaf ears. Seems like ever since the (TYCO/SimplexGrinnell) merger things continue to go... downhill.

Advice to Management

You seem to stress that you are interested in the opinions (annual OHI Survey) of lower level employees, yet nothing has been done or planned to ensure you take care of them. Put your actions where your mouth is. I understand progress always means change. However, change doesn't always mean progress. Seems like the changes that have happened recently have been a setback.

Johnson Controls2019-04-25

"Gone down hill since Johnson Control's purchase."

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Marinette, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- I enjoy the job that I do. - I enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

- Unqualified Management: Many of the managers and supervisors have no idea of the day to day processes of the departments they are overseeing. Many of the leads are nothing more than over glorified secretaries. - Terrible Work/Life Balance: Overtime is constant and mandatory. Some of my co-workers have been working six day(s) a week since last Christmas. - Poor Benifits: Before Johnson Controls purchased... Tyco, they had some of the best employee benifits I've seen in my adult life as a blue collar worker. Since the purchase, I've seen better insurance programs from retail stores. - Poor Training: Johnson Controls doesn't want well trained, educated employees, they simply want button pushers to tend their machines. Many employees are inadequately trained to do their jobs. The little training they do get is often rushed as quickly as possible. - Outdated or Broken Equipment: Many of the machines are extremely old and outdated. Many of them don't work the way they should, but as long as they function to some degree, that's good enough for JCI. - Outsourced HR/IT: Making a call to HR to inquire about taxes or a employee account on their employee web portal directs you to a call center in another country. - 401K is a Joke: 401K match requires employees to be there for the entire calendar year to get any of it. - Unprofessional Atmosphere: JCI favors departments and employees over others. I've seen employees from other departments cussing out shift supervisors with no repercussions. - Safety: JCI likes to pretend that they have the best interests at heart for their employees, but the second safety gets in the way of production it's thrown completely out of the window. I've personally witnessed employees being punished for refusing to violate JCI's own self written safety standards. - Awful Communication: Johnson Controls is simply terrible at communication. It sometimes takes day(s) or even week(s) to get any sort of response. - Penny Pinching: Johnson Controls likes money, so much so that they ruined what was once great health benfits. You can no longer get a paper pay check stub and in order to save a couple of dollars they went from a weekly pay schedule to bi-weekly. Many of their employee resources has been outsourced to either websites or call centers in other countries. - Awful Moral: After the last employee poll that they encouraged all employees to take, it was discovered that the employee moral was one of the lowest in all of Johnson Control's own businesses. You know it's bad when you've seen employees crying because of the stress upper management puts on them. - Lack of Employees: Employees are streched thin and expected to not only know everything about the department they are in, but often times many different departments when they become short handed instead of hiring more employees. Johnson Controls fails to hire more employees when they know others are either retiring or leaving for school or work. This year alone we have four people leaving my department, Johnson Controls is aware of that and has yet to hire anyone or even put up new job postings in advanced. - Complete Lack of Planning: I've never worked at a factory before where they simply ran out of parts because someone forgot to order more. - Lack of Respect: JCI has so far shown almost no respect for their employees or their opinions, when a complaint is raised, often times the response is simply, "If you don't like it, find another job." - Maximizing Profits Over Employees: Johnson Controls loves to let their employees know how much money they are making. Last month they earned 107% of what their goal was (posted at the front entrance as you walk in), but they are still demanding constant mandatory overtime. - Poor Building Maintenance: The roofs leak in almost all of the departments. Often when we get a good rainstorm, the plumbing will back up and flood departments. It's been like this since I've worked there. Little to nothing has been done to try and fix these problems.

Advice to Management

Figure something out, I've literally seen people crying on the production floor due to how frustrated they were working for Johnson Controls. People need more than one day off every couple of weeks. And if you have an employee doing a job that pays more than they are making, make sure they get paid for it!

Johnson Controls2019-04-28
  8. "Adient /jci"

Former Employee - Route Runner, Line Lead, Operator in Holland, MI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

401k ,holiday,and vacation time,personal hours rarely weekends but occasionally weekends in lw2

Cons

Favortism, upper management is getting strict with any petty thing , were according to there hand book which was created last year. And accordingly to cooperate each plant and location has different handbooks based on what that create.

Advice to Management

Be more forgiving for petty write ups. And listen to your operators POV. About work situations. Where most line supports or even other operators cant fill a spot because only select people are crossed trained.

Johnson Controls2019-04-18

"Ok company at best"

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Newer building. Work life balance is decent depending on role

Cons

401k match only occurs if you work the full calendar year prior not every paycheck. Upper management focused on shareholders more than employees. Company out of touch with lower level employees

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining talent. Losing good employees because of poor choices that affect employees negatively to improve the bottom line

Johnson Controls2019-02-13

"Planner"

Current Employee - Planner

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are good, team spirit Relatively good salaries

Cons

Aggressive & increasing cost cutting, low morale Upper management out of touch with lower level employees.

Johnson Controls2018-08-09