Johnson Controls "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 10, 2019

3.3
Johnson Controls Chief Executive Officer George Oliver
George Oliver
Pros
  • "Good benefits with opportunities to move within(in 132 reviews)

• "Good pay and good full benefits(in 131 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Legacy Tyco Simplexgrinnell employee excited for the future with Johnson Controls Fire Protection."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoying the work I do and the people I work with. I am a former Tyco SimplexGrinnell employee and being a part of this team has been satisfying from day one. Great pay, good benefits, computer based and classroom training, etc. Overtime is always offered and there are commissions you can earn as a field technician.

Cons

The workload can be too much at times and you have to learn when to say no. (Work Life Balance). Also, it is a massive company and it is easy for things to take long to happen because of the many channels requests must go through before they are executed. (For customers and for employees.)

Advice to Management

Remember your field staff faces the customer daily and has valuable input on ways to improve on the execution of goals and daily initiatives.

Johnson Controls2018-01-03
  2. "Strong vision for the future but struggling to gain local leadership support"

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome teams, great people, good work-life balance, competitive salaries/wages, decent benefits

Cons

HR is mostly a checkbox for compliance and key field leadership are failing to execute on company mission and values. There doesn’t seem to be a plan to change behavior or leadership in those situations.

Advice to Management

Start at the top and make sure leaders are taking the company’s vision for the future seriously.

Johnson Controls2019-10-09
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Great small group, but lots of red tape on the big scale"

Current Employee - Product Management in Plano, TX

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The direct group I work with is excellent. Great culture. Great work life balance

Cons

There is often red tape or overbearing processes to get things done. Lots of budget cuts. Travel bans. JCI puts their stakeholders first, not their employees. The insurance is very poor. I've been advocating to have insurance improvements for years with no changes.

Advice to Management

If you put your employees first the rest will follow and you'll keep the best employees rather than losing them to competitors.

Johnson Controls2019-09-20
  5. "Overal a good company to work for"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people Awesome Benefits Onsite amenities Work/Life Balance

Cons

Too many politics Top heavy management

Advice to Management

None

Johnson Controls2019-09-04

"RUN! Do not work here under this disastrous management"

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I used to be able to name many. Now I struggle to think of even one. The local teams in the branches are the only pro I have. You build close relationships with them, because you are all trying to help each other survive this storm.

Cons

Please heed my warning - this ship is sinking, and quickly. Unless the current CEO, George Oliver and ALL of his little minions get the boot, and this company miraculously turns things around, do not work here.. They will absolutely drain your brain and your soul. There is no work life balance. Upper level management absolutely does not care about the employees or the customers. They care about wall street and the... stock price. Only the local HVAC branches are still trying their best to take care of customers. Upper management is creating more red tape by the day, eliminating critical support roles, centralizing and outsourcing entire teams of vital employees, and asking you to do more with less. They are literally LOWERING people's pay grades by changing their job titles. They delay raises, won't pay their vendors, and the benefits package gets worse by the year. Merging with Tyco is the absolute worst thing JCI could have done. They are not customer or employee focused, and they dumped that culture all over legacy JCI. This place is a disaster. We used to have great job security. Now, we ALL fear for our jobs on a daily basis. This is George's world, and we are just living in it. The second we lost Bill Jackson (the only legacy-JCI, upper-level manager who knew how to run a business), I knew there was no way we could come back from this. He was our last hope. We are the laughing stock of our industry now. Then, they had the actual nerve to email all employees asking US to donate money to THEM so that they can fight the US Government on the fact that they are no longer allowed to work on government projects, since they moved their headquarters (their PO box) to Ireland, and stopped paying US Taxes. Which, I might add, they created their own loophole around and are still working on government projects anyways. But we should give them money from our paychecks, where we paid taxes, so that they can keep on avoiding taxes. Sounds ethical, right? I had to make my review anonymous because I know they will retaliate. They are notorious for it. George even pays people to write positive reviews about him on here! LOL!

Advice to Management

Get rid of George Oliver. Find a way to focus on customers again and cut the red tape. Seriously, go take a class from Disney on how to empower your employees and give them the authority to take care of your customers. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers, and your customers will take care of you and your stock price!!! Stop trying to do all of your crooked financial schemes to... increase your stocks and just do business the RIGHT and ETHICAL way. Don't push ethics if you can't practice what your preach. Don't push organizational health when you have destroyed ours. Stop lowering our pay and hurting us financially to help yourselves!!

Johnson Controls2019-09-20

"Regrets"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for less than a year

Pros

A large organization that will build your resume.

Cons

Work life balance is horrible. The company is male dominated because the hours are unrealistic. I have never been in such a toxic work environment where people are sworn at weekly. The chief officers protect their Vice Presidents to a fault. I was forced to make up numbers for reporting purposes which is why I left. This will all be exposed at one point.

Advice to Management

Turn over VP level and above.

Johnson Controls2019-08-27

"Dissapointed"

Current Employee - Senior Truck Based Controls Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mostly your own boss. But help is usually available when needed. Pay is great, benefits average.

Cons

-As an hourly field based employee, if you don't have any work you don't get paid. -Original travel amount doubled after a few months on the job. 40k miles driven in the first year just to get to the work sites. -Work-life balance can be bad. If a high priority customer calls at 3 pm you are expected to drop everything and go there. Your personal plans do no matter.

Advice to Management

No, they won't listen anyway.

Johnson Controls2019-08-01
  9. "JCI is eh"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, benefits, that’s all I can really say

Cons

Diversity, work life balance, toxic work environment

Advice to Management

Less micromanaging, more focus of being result driven. Hire more competent leaders

Johnson Controls2019-05-20
  10. "Good work/life balance. Financial problems"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OK work/life balance. 401K match.

Cons

Large dept, company making some radical restructuring moves. Insurance is not very good

Johnson Controls2019-05-19
  11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Fire Alarm Technician in Whitehall, PA

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance, Vacation, Pay, Training , Job opportunities

Cons

Culture , Medical benefits , Job security , Employee events, Safety policys

Advice to Management

Need better employee culture

Johnson Controls2019-04-27