Johnson Ferry Baptist Church Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 17, 2018

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love it"

Pros

Great staff, Great kids, Great pay

Cons

Not enough hours to make a livable salary

2. "Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

No place to move up.

3. "Not worth it"

I worked at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time

Pros

The sick time they give you...that's about it.

Cons

They don't pay well, everyone is old, no one wants to listen to ideas, change does not happen, executive staff members run the entire show...even though they are all out of touch with reality.

4. "Not great"

Former Employee - Ministry Assistant
    Former Employee - Ministry Assistant

I worked at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Few people are sincere and good people.

Cons

Not Christian people. The church is just like other places and too busy.

Advice to Management

New leadership

5. "Great People"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church as a contractor

Pros

JF has some amazing employees you will work with, some good benefits like time off for a mission trip

Cons

High turnover rate, some of the head of departments are unwilling to change their ways to be more technologically up to date and think they know everything.

6. "A great place to work, except for the pay."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your desire is to truly help people, this is the place. The work environment is pleasant, upbeat, positive.

Cons

The pay is a little lower than desired.

"Great Ministries, not such a great place to work"

Current Employee - Ministry Assistant in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Ministry Assistant in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The church is very dynamic, with wonderful programs and ministries which are having a positive impact on people locally and all over the world. The teaching and spiritual leadership is excellent, as are my co-workers and other staff members. The church is very large (over 8000 members) and is located in a growing and affluent suburb of Atlanta.

Cons

Generally, unless you are a white male, over 50 then you are probably underpaid and have virtually no prospects to improve your situation if you stay here. We have lost several millennial employees over the past few years, primarily because they couldn't afford to live anywhere near the church at the salary they were making AND there are NO prospects for promotion or to make a decent salary by staying. The church management is stocked with 60+ yr old white men, and most of them and the next level down are intimidated by the Sr. Pastor and won't disagree with him about anything. As a result, nothing ever changes for the working staff. I am aware of instances where a young person on staff has been performing the duties of a higher level position at least half the time, BUT the management won't promote her or pay her for what she is doing because it would require going to upper management and making a case for doing the "right thing". I think this is probably illegal, although I am not an expert in employment law. This type situation has played itself out here a number of times...always with the person leaving for a better opportunity.

Advice to Management

Wake up to the fact that in a few short years, most of your church members and certainly most of your staff will be made up of millennial and younger persons. The old-boy management folks will be gone, but you won't have any staffers in the age group that represents your membership growth opportunity. We need career opportunities and to be paid enough to live somewhere in the vicinity of the church---East Cobb is expensive ! Old-school mind-set and attitudes will result in a slowdown of church growth and in diminished ministry effectiveness as the all the old staffers try to create ministries that appeal to younger demographics.

"No place for a professional"

I have been working at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time

Pros

Nice work environment, okay benefits

Cons

If you are have a college degree and consider your self a professional, this is not the place to work. Your professional opinion and experience will be ignored.

Advice to Management

Hire a CIO that is not a minister to handle/run the non-ministerial aspects of the church.

"A fulfilling ministry"

Current Employee - Director of Operations
    Current Employee - Director of Operations

I have been working at Johnson Ferry Baptist Church full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and a wonderful leadership. Every part of this institution is growing. We get to help folks on a daily basis and get paid for doing it. The benefits are better than most companies I have worked for. Even though this is a church we operate 7 days a week 20 hours a day as a thriving business. The salaries are not that great but the blessings outside of material things make up the difference.

Cons

Working at a church makes it difficult to get a lot of spiritual food. We spend so much time and effort that we find it hard to disconnect from work and receive some education for ourselves. Although the benefits are great the pay is not the greatest.

Advice to Management

We always hear how we are not like other churches in the way we operate and how we are structured. The same method used to determine our uniqueness needs to be used to determine salaries as well.