Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson Reviews | Glassdoor

John Moeller

"Happily Surprised"

Current Employee - Inspector, Construction Management in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Inspector, Construction Management in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

JMT recognized my potential and after only a month with the company and being out on the project I was bumped up to a Supervisor position.

Cons

So far I have not found anything to complain about. I work out in the field and enjoy the hell out of my job.

Advice to Management

Since I have yet to meet anyone other than my direct Office/Project Manager, the only advice I could give them is to send a email or drop a line to introduce yourselves.

2. "Not a good place to stay at"

Former Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE

I worked at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coffee Machine and Microwave

Cons

-Pay
    -Raises
    - Some Managers
    - They will try to find the weakest guy/girl to blame (usually it's the one that they just hired )

Advice to Management

- value people
    - respect the group
    - it doesn't make sense to have 4 bosses out of 5 employees in one group

3. "JMT consullting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

work family unbalance & miscommunication

"Unpleasant, at best."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, MD

I worked at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits package. ESOP is good but takes a long time to become vested. Only positive to pull from this.

Cons

Culture at the corporate office- inclusive, unfriendly, passive aggressive. Claims to be flexible but the company is rigid and archaic. Mid level managers at corporate treat and speak to their employees like children. No room for upward mobility. Heads down, keep quiet, don't voice an opinion and don't challenge the status quo. Miserable working environment. Could not speak to off campus departments, but the Sparks main office.

Advice to Management

Train mid management to work with one another, how to speak/treat their employees with some level of courtesy and respect. Daily passive aggressive comments towards staff and upper management. Tenure does not guarantee a decent manager. Give employees a voice without a middle man/woman intercepting.

"Aviation Intern"

Current Employee - Aviation Engineering Co-op in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Aviation Engineering Co-op in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson (Less than a year)

Pros

Good communication in departments
    Great learning experience

Cons

No cons, good company for an internship

"Consultation Opportunity"

Former Employee - Construction Management Representative in Lansdowne, PA
    Former Employee - Construction Management Representative in Lansdowne, PA

I worked at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

JMT gave me the opportunity to step outside of my given career path and learn different skill sets through construction consultation. I've added contract negotiation and program management to my tool belt.

Cons

I would have appreciated the opportunity to benefit financially from solutions provided to the customer.

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, MD

Pros

-Tons of opportunity if you have the ambition to go after it
    -Lots of good, hard-working employees
    -Growth opportunities available as company looks to achieve long term goals (especially if you are willing to relocate to a growing office and market)
    -Competitive salary and benefits
    -Employee Ownership Stock Plan is extremely beneficial/advantageous (compared to standard 401k plans)
    -Lots of emphasis on employee training and development the past few years

Cons

-As with any company, there are a few bad apples. Luckily, they stand out and it is fairly obvious. May be tough at first if your manager is difficult, but there is definitely room to transfer offices/departments if you so desire
    -Lots of work means you will be busy and things can get hectic

Advice to Management

-Keep up and increase employee appreciation events

"Supportive, family environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

JMT offers a great, team-oriented environment with flexible hours without micromanagement. You're given the freedom to excel if you want to and the training needed to do so. JMT's family atmosphere that makes it easy to come to work everyday. I've made good friends here and love to spend time with many of them outside of work, too. Of course, every department has its flaws, and I have to say some areas of the company are more positive than others. However, for the most part, we're all working toward common goals and are willing support one another in that. JMT is what you make it to be. There is plenty of opportunity to move up and be recognized, but it might take some initiative and the ability to seek out opportunities to do that. I always feel supported here at JMT and believe it is one of the most grounded companies (values/mission) in the region.

Getting involved in professional organizations and networking is also highly encouraged.

Beyond that, we also have awesome benefits as well as employee perks such as monthly get-togethers, company picnics, sports leagues, and more. If you have an idea to share that could benefit the company, management is willing to listen and even execute those ideas!

Cons

Sometimes the subject matter of projects we work on is a bit dry.

"Feels Like the 1950's"

Former Employee - Water/Wastewater in Sparks, MD
    Former Employee - Water/Wastewater in Sparks, MD

Pros

The younger generations of staff, not from the area, are inventive and enthusiastic about the work and there is a strong sense of camaraderie. There are some interesting projects (if you are lucky to be on them.) Even being in the trenches and working many numbers of hours ends up being fun. Growing in the Maryland region.

Cons

The vast majority of people are provincial and privileged, bearing out in their attitudes. There is frequently racially insensitive talk which often devolves into outright racist and discriminatory discussions. Don't expect people who disagree to reprimand individuals when they start complaining about 'Those people moving into our neighborhoods and ruining the schools.'

There is a lot of favoritism here, people are often hired based on personal connections non related to actual qualifications, strong preference for local and dare I say it, white employees. Again frequent negative comments about MBE requirements and the people who work there. They will try to farm out people of color as 'diversity', really the barest of tokenism.

Ethics are variable, frequently overlooked depending personal connections to staff. Think gee you are my next door neighbors kid or we were all friends at the local Y so don't won't worry I got you covered.' If you are an outsider it will be substantially more difficult to get ahead.

Advice to Management

The tolerance of discriminatory language and actions will eventually catch up with the company. It's impossible to prove because of the starkly cut off hiring practices, but I wonder if enough people will raise their voices despite the likelihood of losing their jobs.

"review from ex-employee"

Former Employee - Engineer in Sparks, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sparks, MD

Pros

Most of my experience there is positive. I would give a 3.5 out of 5 for an overall score.

Cons

Not too much internal training provided. They had established some sort of mentor program, which got abandoned for some reason.