Johnson Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Linda Johnson Rice

1. "Loved It! But Not For Everyone."

Pros

Small environment with a large impact on the community. It was easy to get to know coworkers of all ages and positions, working together toward a common goal.

Cons

Everything was aged from the computers to the way of executing campaigns. It really made them miss out on reaching the young adult target audience.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people! Have more staff retreats to get everyone on board. This will make things more organized and worthwhile.

2. "Challenging employer due to private ownership"

I worked at Johnson Publishing full-time

Pros

Perks of working for an iconic brand

Cons

The owners inability to plan for the future

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees hired because of their professional expertise.

3. "Not a good career move"

Pros

used to have a strong brand, but now relying on past instead of working toward future

Cons

unorganized, no plan for business from top down

5. "Was A Wonderful Place To Work"

Former Employee - Graphic Design and Production in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Design and Production in Chicago, IL

I worked at Johnson Publishing part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well known and respected iconic business. They were always open to new ideas. Most colleagues were great to work with.

Cons

Worked there a great bunch of years.After a while company seemed to be going through a transition, some antiquated methodologies that may have needed updating and refining.

Advice to Management

Invest in and value your loyal employees, communicate better and stop being reactive - be proactive

6. "Horrible Experience"

I worked at Johnson Publishing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people in the NYC office, but my God the Chicago office upper management was horrible.

Cons

The people with great ideas don't get listened to. Also, there's no organization. Nothing is in order at all. No one cares if someone gets fired, sick or whatever. There are some great managers in the NYC office, but they get put down too. Theres also no advancement whatsoever and you will be underpaid and over worked. Plus, the company seemed to be going down hill.

Advice to Management

Quit. Start over. You don't get it.

7. "Leadership Life Support"

I worked at Johnson Publishing (More than a year)

Pros

In the learning process of my career, it was an awesome experience to work within the iconic business place that housed Ebony magazine, Jet magazine and Fashion Fair. Personally, I found it to be an awesome honor and privilege to have the opportunity to be in the world that John H. Johnson and Eunice Johnson believed in and created. I was lucky and blessed to have an incredible manager who became my mentor and whom I'd consider a friend. Meeting "the stars" when they visited was a big perk in the perspective that we got to talk with regular people that we've seen on stage. And the greatest thing, there were awesome individuals that worked there. Because of this company, I want to help repair and create a healthy morale in broken companies.

Cons

The con was management. It was heartbreaking coming to work not knowing who the leaders were beyond their titles. The majority of everyone that worked there has/had the same feeling- "The just don't get it." There was no extensive needed training available for workers to get better. There was no personal investment nor communication with employees that created an "I care about your needs and feelings." environment. There was an embarrassing level of care for visual advertisement the companies products. There were no honest conversations about addressing the concerns of the employees. There were times when the women in executive roles would talk down to their support team(s). Not every leader is a terrible person. The biggest problem is that the Johnson Publishing Co. system is struggling and is not well. Morale is dying, if not deceased already.

Advice to Management

Listen to each other outside of the executive offices and executive positions. Create small groups connected to your audience and your company team mates. That and more, or let go.

"Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right." -Jane Goodall

8. "Used to be a great company, not so much anymore..."

I have been working at Johnson Publishing full-time

Pros

Most colleagues are great to work with, great location

Cons

Poor company morale, lack of communication from upper management, no career advancement, under industry standard compensation

Advice to Management

Invest in and value your employees, communicate better and stop being reactive - plan and strategize

9. "Wonderful experience with the Company."

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Fort Carson, CO
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Fort Carson, CO

I worked at Johnson Publishing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cosmetic brand is WONDERFUL!
    Be PATIENT, the economy is on an upswing....makeup is a stable staple in most womens life.
    Its my life-line!
    Take the time to see/ use the new items they offer you will not be disappointed.

Cons

PLEASE OFFER SEVERAL COUNTERS IN THE VIRGIN ISLANDS.Ill work for free!

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working for the company. Please offer a counter in St. Croix USVI . (IT WAS AN HONOR)!

"Awful experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Johnson Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Historic, iconic brand, great location

Cons

Working at Johnson Publishing Company was an unpleasant professional experience. Coming on board at JPC, I was under the impression that I would get the opportunity to grow professionally and be a part of a team of smart and visionary leaders--unfortunately that was not the case. I witnessed the company CEO belittle, berate and verbally abuse employees with little to no remorse. I observed the company CEO and other senior leadership appear to be uninterested in being leaders of "the people" but rather ruling through fear and intimidation. Additionally, the company's moral and enthusiasm was clearly non-existent, which reflects poorly on the leaders--this is all due to a lack of vision and direction. I continue to emphasize the poor leadership because that is foundation of any successful company. In my experience that primary ingredient is missing. I was incredibly disappointed, and would urge extreme caution if considering working for this company as you may come to quickly regret it.

Advice to Management

Invest in better department resources, figure out a way to create a work environment that is "fun" friendly so that employees enjoy their job, re-evaluate high company turn over rate, invest in a senior/junior leadership mentoring program so that you are building

"Not what I thought the company was about."

I have been working at Johnson Publishing full-time

Pros

The company was a stable in the African American community but rich history is slowly fading away. The cosmetic line has been revamped and potential could grow.

Cons

Lack of focus, management is constantly changing, no advance or pay increase.

Advice to Management

Talk to the senior employee and stop thinking the situation is to bring in your friends and paying them well while not have a decent retirement plan or merit pay increase