Johnson & Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

Johnson & Johnson Reviews

Updated November 4, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance; good pay/bonus (in 387 reviews)

• One tends to find good people in J&J (in 261 reviews)

Cons
  • and sometimes the work/life balance isn't good (in 139 reviews)

• There was no cons of working at J&J (in 163 reviews)

1. "Data Analyst"

Former Contractor - Data Analyst
    Former Contractor - Data Analyst

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor

Pros

Very nice facility
    Open office space

Cons

Very low salary compared to other places.
    Contract can be terminated at any time without any notice.
    No guidance or help working on projects.
    Lots of repetitive high school type copy and pasting work, not a lot of statistics or coding.

2. "Beware accepting contract work at J&J"

Current Contractor - Trial Manager
    Current Contractor - Trial Manager

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Since the pay was hourly, I never needed to work over 40 hours.
    There was a gym on-site that was free.
    Little perks to employees that included messenger bags, hats, and healthy snacks.
    Pleasant co-workers

Cons

They did not honor my contract, and in fact, cut my pay by $12/hr midway through.
    There is no on-boarding and no training.
    The work processes are in complete chaos, and there is no one to provide instruction or answer basic questions.
    The systems are from the dark ages and are completely inadequate.
    Either middle management and senior management have no clue what they are doing, or they truly have no interest in success of their employees.

Advice to Management

Please stop bringing in contractors to take your projects that are doomed so that they can shoulder the blame.
    Please welcome contractors into the fold, and include them in relevant meetings.
    Please provide on-boarding and training.
    Please give contractors real opportunities for permanent positions.

"Collection Technician"

Former Contractor - Collection Technician
    Former Contractor - Collection Technician

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good learning experience, the pay was fairly good for what you do, good company savings plan.

Cons

No management, management wanted to put the blame of all wrong doings on employees. Management never wanted to take blame for their mistakes, no acknowledgement of employee production, management don't follow through with company policies on multiple things, misleading to contractors on work availability. Would say everything is going good during webinars, then have phone conferences about how many people were gonna be let go due to company not making much money. Poor communication with the small people (employees ) that weren't important and rarely acknowledged the positive but harped on the negative. Was let go with severance pay along with many others and told we had a great opportunity to get another position within the company, but was never considered after final day with company.

Advice to Management

Don't mislead employees, communication, take blame for your own mistakes instead of putting it off on employees, acknowledgement of positive results instead of just the negative, follow up with employees over issues, don't leave them hanging for weeks on end for an answer.

"Terrible Experience stay away from any contract job in R&D, only come here as an employee"

Current Contractor - Scientist in Skillman, NJ
    Current Contractor - Scientist in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct managers and peers are good to work with and the projects are interesting. Even though my review is negative, I still value the experience based on what I have learned here.
    It was a great when I started here a few years ago and there were lots of nice people to talk to and learn from.
    JNJ is not as bad as other companies for contract scientist work (like L'Oréal and revlon)

Cons

Today I saw on the company page, a survey open to voice opinions and it had a letter from the CEO saying our "voice will be heard" I clicked on it and it said I am ineligible to take the survey. This is due to the fact that I am not an employee and am a contractor paid by an agency to work for JNJ so that they don't to spend more money on a young less experienced person like me. So I will voice my opinion here instead.

The way I have been treated here is de-humanizing and disgusting. Currently I am not even allowed to even sit with or partake in anything that involves interacting with full-time employees in my own group because of my "contractor" status. I can only communicate with my group through IM and email. I am not allowed to take a paid day off and get paid half of what other full time people get paid who have less experience than me.

Full time employee jobs open, but contractors are never ever chosen because they are labeled as contractors forever regardless of the work they do. Interns with 6 months experience get chosen over you and you have to train them too! I also see that in product development people have sort of a celebrity status based on their appearance and quirks. The senior management is very old school and only hire based on who knows who. They will never look at the work the lower staff does. The director always talks about getting rid of contractors to hire full timers. It is not possible simply because they need a lot of us to do the work. Nonetheless, most contractors get fired and replaced eventually since the budget for R&D projects are cut every quarter.

I have a very high workload and am told I do excellent work, but cannot take it here anymore because I am not valued. Everyone here tells me that I'm young and have my whole life ahead of me, but there are people that are hired here even younger that do the same work and they are treated so much better and not segregated and cutoff from the rest. The favoritism towards a select few and lack of care towards other people here is sick. I am ready to leave at the end of my contract and encourage other people experiencing the same to voice their opinions against JNJ and it's awful treatment.

Advice to Management

Stop treating young contractors as minions and hire them when positions open. Get rid of the old school, one-way approach to hiring based only on who you know and find attractive.
    If you really value innovation make a budget for it and hire more people instead of promoting senior managers to higher and higher status.
    Make the credo survey and the one mentioned above open to ALL people who work for the company. (Even though the ratings might significantly lower)

"Awful...Welcome to 1980's corporate America"

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Depending on the team might have work -life balance
    Some smart and nice folks here to forge a friendship with. The other people are either passive aggressive or too stressed out.

Cons

Where to start?
    Large company...Half the time the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing( but there will be meetings to try to bring together).
    Lack of true innovation or rushing to bring products to market and then see them fail because the company is so conservative ( cheap) in really putting $ behind launches.
    TERRIBLE cost cutting culture. I thought so much more of JNJ. This company is so cheap that I got tired of asking for my own BASIC supplies and just bought them myself.
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings. See point above - There will be meetings about ideal, meetings about reality, meetings about plans, meetings about career progression. Nothing comes out of these meetings. JNJ loves to talk to themselves, create paperwork, unnecessary work ( TPS reports), no action. When things start to fail due to lack of action or funding, there will be more meetings about what went wrong...yet nothing happens anyway, just more meetings clogging everyone's calendar.
    Extremely political company, advancement depends really on who you know, not what you know. Advancement is not encouraged as managers love to pigeon hold talent as long as they can. Work gets stale, people get frustrated unless they find opportunities to get known by the higher ups and work your way around a heavy political system that rewards the talkers ( see point above on meetings) , not the doers or the action enablers. You have to be a certain type to progress inside JNJ. Diversity, individuality hardly encouraged at this company

Advice to Management

Realize that to attract and retain NEW talent, you need to be more nimble with career progression. Promote on merit and have career paths for those that might not be in the face of upper leadership all the time. Get with the times and stop with the ridiculous culture of cost cutting, I'm sure JNJ can afford BASIC supplies. Be focused! You don't need half the meetings that are put in people's calendars. You can't win all initiatives and have people running around in circles when you know these initiatives will die anyway, because they're not really important. Become good at what you are and don't try to be PG or Unilever. Be JNJ and stick with it. Find your own personality.

"Senior Rep"

Former Employee - Senior Sales in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great time off, but will make you work 12 hour days.

Cons

Terrible Territory Managers and no help from HR. Asked for 6 months maternity leave because the company really pushes the fact that they will give you a year and hold your job. Manager argued with me about asking for 6 months. He was very much a bully. Tried to talk to HR - NO HELP! They gave me 6 months and one year from day I returned they laid off 8 women that year that came back from maternity leave.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

7. "Johnson & Johnson"

Pros

Competitive salaries but low level hiring.

Cons

Resources are extensive but lacking in comparison to government research centres.

Advice to Management

Get more informed with what kind of results and day to day work is being performed by subordinates in order to make changes that will bring the company out of the status quo.

8. "Team Leader"

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time

Pros

The benefits are very good but the work environment is very tense.

Cons

They do not implement their culture and there is a hostile managerial work environment.

9. "Welcome to a world where dreaming is happiness and waiting is life..."

Pros

-- J&J benefits ( family days, sick time, floating holidays

Cons

This review is for Advanced Sterlization devices in Irvine -- CSS.

-- Very political environment, if you want to improve and create a process you will be seen as threat and eliminated immediately or demoted.

-- Management is clueless on how to select vendors and cut their cost. Their lack of competence has caused thousands of dollars loss to the parent company.

-- incompetent upper management sitting on top that block progressive thinking.

-- People live in Silos there is no communication. Department managers are very removed from their products. This again causes several million dollars loss.

-- People are set up for failure, so others can fill in once they fail and get the credit. Hire more to cover for lack of performance just to repeat the vicious cycle.

-- Work life balance is an illusion because of lack of resources, Processes and 1867 BC equipment.

-- duct tape on duct tape is put on architectures instead of fixing them. Creating real loss and delay in FDA submission. Millions of dollars again dear parent company loss to you if you are listening.

Advice to Management

1. Take classes in organizational communication, management and people skills.
    2. Grow your employees instead of either seeing them as a threat or just pigeon holing them.
    3. If somebody wants to improve a process please don't assassinate their career.
    4. Stop portraying people are put first because that is a blatant lie. I don't even see products being put first.
    5. Get rid of stubborn management who are not receptive to change.

"Notice all the Monument Job Openings? Machine Operator"

Current Employee - CNC Machine Operator in Monument, CO
    Current Employee - CNC Machine Operator in Monument, CO

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its full time work and 40 hrs

Cons

Low Pay.
    Safety Issue not being fixed. Machines leaking coolant and not being repaired.
    General Low Moral.
    Lowest Credo Survey Scores from a site in JnJ.
    Managers Breaking Labor Laws. Telling employees not to talk about wages (Violation of State and Fed Law)
    Managers forcing employees to use Vacation Time when they cant show up for Manditory Overtime (Violates State CO law)
    Managers Harassing employees. Following them to their cars to see if they break the rules.

The list is long. Most people are looking for new jobs.
    Oh and dont give new hires more money then people that have been there 2-4 years. (this is why they dont want you to talk about your wages)

Advice to Management

Dont tell people not to talk about their wages. Dont Break Labor Laws.

Showing 139 of 3,793 reviews