Johnson & Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0

3,277 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance; good pay/bonus (in 393 reviews)

• One tends to find good people in J&J (in 264 reviews)

Cons
  • and sometimes the work/life balance isn't good (in 139 reviews)

• There was no cons of working at J&J (in 166 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time

Pros

Values its employee's well-being. Promotes flexible work, great benefits

Cons

Decentralized company takes a bit of a learning curve.

Advice to Management

Continue to monitor credo results with honesty and transparency

2. "Very proud employee of J&J"

Current Employee - Engineer in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Huge diverse company. You can move around a lot within one company/sector, or explore other sectors around the world. They will help you fulfill your career dreams, whether that means staying on a technical track, management track, or moving around to different functions. There are so many resources out there...big company resources with a small company feel. Since it's decentralized there is some freedom for how each company is run. Also, the credo is really a part of our daily lives, and people take it seriously. It is easy to feel proud working for a company like J&J, since the products make a difference in many people's lives.

Cons

Due to decentralization, sometimes there isn't enough communication between departments/sectors/companies, so there is an opportunity for more levaraging.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of effort to be genuine with employees and share important information. This is very helpful and should be continued during these trying economic times.

3. "J&J feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

The Credo. J&J cares about its customers, its employees and the community at large. The Company creates leaders. If I were a Company, I would recruit J&J managers to be a part of its Senior Managment. It is a dynamic global Company where one can be exposed to so many different things throughout his/ her career.

Cons

Its headquarters is in New Jersey.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"One person's perspective"

Current Employee - Medical Device Associate Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

From a Medical Sales perspective, J&J reps are the the most sought after sales professionals because of the training we recieve and clinical research put in to our products. J&J medical reps typical begin recieving phone calls from headhunters within a year of employment with the company. Benefits are rediculous, training is top-notch, and communication between employees and their field managers is great.

Cons

Total compensation is, on average, lower than other top Medical Device companies.

Advice to Management

Due to the extreme competition from other companies, it is vital we have more equipment trays to leave at accounts so we don't spend half our time shuttling equipment from one OR to the next in order for them to use the implants.

5. "A really good company where you can make a difference"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Overall, for a huge company it is a really good place to work. I work in the devices group, for one of the better companies, so my view may be skewed a little. In general, the management is very competent, communicates well, and really does try to act within their Credo responsibilities. Employees are treated quite well, and there's lots of opportunity if you want it.

I've worked for several large companies in the medical device world, and I'd recommend my company over any of them. I like the decrentralized model where even as part of a health-care behemoth, I can play an important part in one area of devices.

Cons

In general, the standard downside of working for a huge company - huge bureacracy, incompetent support staff in areas like IM, and all kinds of diversity silliness. For my company, I see two big issues - first, many people here have only worked at huge companies, so basic concepts like time=money are foreign to them, and second, there is a disturbing trend toward arrogance that I see in pockets. The mindset when working with suppliers or partners is "I work for the big successful company, so I must be right even if I'm incompetent".

Advice to Management

Do something about our stock price - it's been stuck for years.

6. "A great place to work if you are looking to work for a large company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Raritan, NJ

Pros

The company promotes and supports life/work balance. Attention to integrity is not just words but action.

Cons

It's a large corporation so sometimes things move very slowly

Advice to Management

Be more visible

7. "Good company...good people. Can J&J innovate and sustain it's culture?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raritan, NJ

Pros

strong company with chance for advancement, good management

Cons

innovation usually comes externally and there are few that see the power of harnessing decentralization through sector collaboration.

Advice to Management

put more emphasis on risk taking and innovation, collaborate across sectors more...

8. "A good place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Researcher in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Researcher in Horsham, PA

Pros

Benefits, growth opportunities, training opportunities, decent succession planning.

Cons

Management focuses largely on the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the acquisitions you're making.

"Great company to work for. Sometimes difficult to get things done in such a large company."

Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Skillman, NJ

Pros

J&J has a strong culture of caring and quality. It has an excellent global reputation with strong brands and strong science. Benefits are great, and the people are the strongest asset. I'm constantly impressed by the dedication and creativity of my colleagues. The decentralized structure allows for more room to innovate with the support of a large corporate infrastructure. The Consumer sector is great place to work because the breadth of products is diverse and the opportunities for creativity abound. Regardless of its flaws, I still think it's one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

As with most large organizations, it is difficult to change the traditional way of doing things and bureaucracy can get in the way. It is discouraging when inertia gets in the way of innovation. But, the company is always trying to improve, so there's hope. There are a few incapable people in positions that are higher than they should be, but that's not the norm.
    Sometimes the leadership is not decisive, which can cause problems when trying to move quickly. There is more work than we have people to do it. Salaries are below median, at least in Consumer R&D.

Advice to Management

For the mid-level employees in all functions R&D, Marketing, Finance, IT, Operations, encourage more movement between groups and roles. It seems like this is highly encouraged among new, college hires with both formal and informal rotational programs, but it is just as valuable if not MORE valuable for the mid-level employees who have proven contributions, loyalty, and have a long term incentive to stay and grow with the company.

10. "Great Co-Op experience"

Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Fort Washington, PA

Pros

Great place to work, very friendly people. I started my co-op with no prior corporate work experience and enjoyed every minute of every day. Leaving the co-op was bitter sweat, it was between continuing to work at a great company or head back to the fun times to be had at college. I enjoyed going to work everyday, my whole team was extremely helpful. One on ones were a great insight into the potential work I will be doing once I graduate next spring. I still stay in contact with my former employees. Don't let an offer to work her pass you by.

Cons

Long hours, can get to be stressful especially for a new hire. Management and your supervisor helps you schedule your work if you become overloaded. Compensation for over time is time and half (double time for holidays if need be).

Sometimes other FLDPs may not know exactly what they want from the Co-Op and in that case the immediate supervisor should step in and help to work out the miscommunication between the FLDP and Co-Op.

Networking opportunities could have been presented to the co-op's earlier. Get to know the people you work with and sit around in the office! They are great resources.

Advice to Management

Get to know the new hires early on and make sure they know the line of communication is always open.

Showing 3,277 of 3,853 reviews