Johnson & Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

Johnson & Johnson Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • and sometimes the work/life balance isn't good (in 130 reviews)

• Once used to J&J style of working, can get adjusted to other company's style of working bery easily (in 155 reviews)

1. "Ok"

Former Intern - Tax in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Intern - Tax in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot on your own
    Great company
    Great location
    Great food
    Many ways to get involved in the community

Cons

A lot of work to be done
    No appreciation
    Mostly clerical work
    Computer sometimes breaks down
    Lack of respect
    No desire to get to know you

Advice to Management

Show appreciate and don't overwork us

"No truth to the J&J Credo created 100+ years ago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raritan, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raritan, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A well-recognized name that still carries a lot of weight and authority, mostly because J&J owns so many subsidiaries and companies

- Having worked there can open a lot of doors for you.

Cons

- Senior management only cares about profits and maximizing returns
    - The beautiful statements written by the J&J Brothers in the J&J Credo are not upheld on any level.
    - J&J buys companies and lays off, I mean "outsources" employees constantly

Advice to Management

Actually read the credo that you constantly refer to and try to live up to it. Because J&J hasn't been true to it for at least half the time it has existed, probably since the original J&J founders retired. Profit is good, but not at the expense of quality and safety, which are two areas that J&J does not bother to look out for anymore.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Correspondent Coordinator in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Correspondent Coordinator in Horsham, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All J&J companies are on gorgeous grounds with gracious views and lots of natural light. Flex time and work from home was most ideal. Excellent benefits were my main reason for staying. I viewed my job as a business and I was the owner. I enjoyed what I worked on.

Cons

FAVORITISM. 15 years of loyal contribution, continuously getting passed over for advancement sucked the life out of me. Endless carrots dangled of promises not ever realized, not one. I got so anxious and depressed that I needed to go out on disability and never returned. If you are a decent human being who wants to make a difference in this world you will get chewed up and spit out before lunch. You will learn the meaning of going "above" and "beyond". P.S. Must be a brown noser

Advice to Management

People matter. Check yourself and your downline. Acknowledge the contributions of the people on your teams that gave their all, keeping you in your present position.

4. "A little too corporate for me."

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, people really care about each other's health and well being.

Cons

Corporate culture is not my thing. There are cubicles almost everywhere, which do not facilitate the creative process well. Getting a meeting with my manager was difficult sometimes.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the cubicles and adopt a more open, collaborative work environment.

"Buzz Word Culture"

Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Johnson and Johnson typically promotes from within. They also offer entry-level leadership development programs that provide new hires with the opportunity to quickly gain diverse experience within the company, although these programs are highly competitive. JNJ is also LGBT friendly and offers volunteer opportunities for employees during business hours.

Cons

Johnson and Johnson's business philosophy is founded upon a mission statement that lends itself to a buzz-word culture. Advancement is very slow and seems to be contingent more upon years of employment with the company than business results obtained. They also are not the most female-friendly for those women seeking upper management positions. Other cons include cramped cubicles, no natural light in most work spaces and low quality individual computers.

Advice to Management

Johnson and Johnson has a culture problem that is affecting both worker satisfaction and business effectiveness. You should also reexamine your promotion practices and worry more about long-term growth over quarterly benchmarks.

6. "Good and bad, but more bad than good"

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really, really good money compared to other internships and some other perks like free trips to museums in NYC. Looks good on a resume now.

Cons

I was put on seemingly meaningless projects with little value to anybody, which made it very difficult for me to become an asset of any sort to the team. My manager was not very helpful, and it often felt like nobody was really keeping a close eye on me. It kind of felt I was competing with some other interns, and the full timers did not really do much to hide how much more they liked the other interns than me, even though they all gave me good reviews in the end. In terms of the bigger picture, it seems like a very difficult company to work your way up in; seemed like a lot of the managers and higher-ups were imported from other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on the interns. Make sure they're busy and doing meaningful work. It was bad how there were many opportunities in which I could've left and nobody would have noticed.

"Poor data management and lots of time waste"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

-adequate pay
    -business can't loss with their corporate strategy of buying and selling continually
    -offices are lovely

Cons

-people are very fake
    -data is primarily managed as messy excel spreadsheets on a sharepoint
    -very boring work, it's all data cleansing

Advice to Management

Introduce a more collaborative work style in the office so employees are encouraged to come to work and actually do something productive. As a company in healthcare, there is a major risk of security and your systems are extremely vulnerable.

8. "not impressed"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pension plan as a full time employee

Cons

as a contractor, not impressed with the company so far. Very ancient software, behind many other companies in technology. very catty admins in my particular department. don't hire contractors.

Advice to Management

listen to the contractors, they are not stupid.

"Manufacturing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, MyStore discounts,clean work environment

Cons

Credo values,layoffs,constant charity involvement,upper management has no clue in manufacturing

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror in regards to what the Credo is about

"Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - EDI Specialist in Havertown, PA
    Current Employee - EDI Specialist in Havertown, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits that Johnson & Johnson offers are unbeatable. I have a ton of vacation, sick, and holiday time, as well as work and family time off.

Cons

Through the merger of Synthes and Johnson & Johnson, the entire culture of our department, as well as the company as a whole changed. It is much more a game of metrics now.

Advice to Management

The more open and honest you are with your people, the more they will both respect you and work hard for you. If employees do not feel valued, they are not as motivated to work.

Showing 255 of 3,462 reviews