Johnson & Johnson Reviews in Skillman, NJ | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2017

Skillman, NJ

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance; good pay/bonus (in 393 reviews)

• One tends to find good people in J&J (in 264 reviews)

Cons
  • and sometimes the work/life balance isn't good (in 139 reviews)

• There was no cons of working at J&J (in 166 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Skillman, NJ
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, interesting projects, good work/life balance, able to forge your own path

Cons

I do not have any cons

2. "Good Company to work for"

Former Employee - Scientist-I in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Scientist-I in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work culture and great learning experience!

Cons

Location, restricted access to resources

3. "Collaborative and development focused culture with a lot of brilliant people supporting our CREDO"

Current Employee - Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson (More than 3 years)

Pros

CREDO driven company, competitive pay and benefits and knowing your being challenged to ensure your actions are helping one of many JNJ consumers

Cons

At times very demanding (but rewarding), also decentralized structure makes it difficult to get immediate actions or make decisions. Decision making can feel like your turning the titanic which inhibits competitive flexibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work and ensure all level employees have the ability to disconnect and spend time with their loved ones.

"Great place if you love corporate politics"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, stock, flex time (unless you work for a baby boomer)

Cons

I always thought working here was going to be the pinnacle of knowledge and technology in my industry. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Focus is on image and projecting a positive corporate culture. Trying to streamline your work is next to impossible because the Directors are so focused on making it to a fully vested pension than your development and certainly don't want to rock the boat.

Advice to Management

You have committed the cardinal sin in trying to promote your culture by treating it like a grass roots movement. Culture is driven top-down, not bottom-up.

5. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Operations in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good benefits (401K, Pension Plan)
    - Diverse

Cons

- Sometimes feel too big (bureaucracy)

"Summer Associate"

Current Employee - Summer Associate in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, great responsibilities and challenges

Cons

The location of their campuses are usually far from cities, forcing you to live in nearby suburbs or having long commutes

"Terrible Experience stay away from any contract job in R&D, only come here as an employee"

Current Contractor - Scientist in Skillman, NJ
    Current Contractor - Scientist in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct managers and peers are good to work with and the projects are interesting. Even though my review is negative, I still value the experience based on what I have learned here.
    It was a great when I started here a few years ago and there were lots of nice people to talk to and learn from.
    JNJ is not as bad as other companies for contract scientist work (like L'Oréal and revlon)

Cons

Today I saw on the company page, a survey open to voice opinions and it had a letter from the CEO saying our "voice will be heard" I clicked on it and it said I am ineligible to take the survey. This is due to the fact that I am not an employee and am a contractor paid by an agency to work for JNJ so that they don't to spend more money on a young less experienced person like me. So I will voice my opinion here instead.

The way I have been treated here is de-humanizing and disgusting. Currently I am not even allowed to even sit with or partake in anything that involves interacting with full-time employees in my own group because of my "contractor" status. I can only communicate with my group through IM and email. I am not allowed to take a paid day off and get paid half of what other full time people get paid who have less experience than me.

Full time employee jobs open, but contractors are never ever chosen because they are labeled as contractors forever regardless of the work they do. Interns with 6 months experience get chosen over you and you have to train them too! I also see that in product development people have sort of a celebrity status based on their appearance and quirks. The senior management is very old school and only hire based on who knows who. They will never look at the work the lower staff does. The director always talks about getting rid of contractors to hire full timers. It is not possible simply because they need a lot of us to do the work. Nonetheless, most contractors get fired and replaced eventually since the budget for R&D projects are cut every quarter.

I have a very high workload and am told I do excellent work, but cannot take it here anymore because I am not valued. Everyone here tells me that I'm young and have my whole life ahead of me, but there are people that are hired here even younger that do the same work and they are treated so much better and not segregated and cutoff from the rest. The favoritism towards a select few and lack of care towards other people here is sick. I am ready to leave at the end of my contract and encourage other people experiencing the same to voice their opinions against JNJ and it's awful treatment.

Advice to Management

Stop treating young contractors as minions and hire them when positions open. Get rid of the old school, one-way approach to hiring based only on who you know and find attractive.
    If you really value innovation make a budget for it and hire more people instead of promoting senior managers to higher and higher status.
    Make the credo survey and the one mentioned above open to ALL people who work for the company. (Even though the ratings might significantly lower)

"Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Skillman, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Skillman, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive work-life balance, good benefits, excellent family-leave policy. Flexible about working remotely.

Cons

Overly political career development. Too focused on style over substance. Negative morale related to talent retention.

Advice to Management

Focus on effective ways to motivate employees by rewarding them, staying in touch with employee's purpose and goals. Provide more robust and specific training, increase attention to detail on training and make more targeted and focused on understanding rather than repetitive procedures.

"Deserves its most respected title"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Brand Manager in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Brand Manager in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great job opportunities to grow & move across the internal family of companies. Good training. Incredible focus on development & career growth. Health benefits are very good, pay was competitive. People are generally great and seem to care about their jobs. It was hard for me to leave.

Cons

slow decision making, bureaucratic, and often very internally focused. Old systems that don't talk to one another. Locations are often in the remote suburbs.

Advice to Management

Encourage your teams to focus externally and spend less time on power point decks for internal meetings.

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best benefits, quality training, great campus

Cons

Not many. Only left to raise a young family

Advice to Management

Keep mentoring

Showing 140 of 3,855 reviews