Johnston & Murphy Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Assistant Manager

3.6
Jon Caplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Clientele, comprehensive training programs and positive work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Company was very well run with GREAT product line (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • After it was done they called me and offered a part time sales position making 0 (in 3 reviews)

• Location isn't great so there is no foot traffic and there can be a lot of downtime (in 2 reviews)

1. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are the best reason to work here. Every month they give a newsletter which offers up to 70% off different selected items every month, and then a blanket 50% off everything else. Only problem is they use a Discount Dollars program which means that if you run out of these "discount dollars". You don't get any percentage off.

Cons

Over all they want everything in the world from you, but they don't want to pay you nearly enough to do it. I was one of the top salesman in my region for 2 years and I got a pat on the back.

Advice to Management

Incentivize. You want more and more from your employees but you don't want to spend a dime to make a dollar.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Developing a professional friendship with my clientele that insures they come back for their next pair of shoes or other accessories.
    A neat clean environment with quality products that make me proud to present to future customer prospects and returning clients.
    Decent commissions to earn for my sales to the stores clients.
    Good relationships developed with other employees.

Cons

I worked for seven different managers and the last one was totally obnoxious.

Advice to Management

Hire management dedicated to honesty with their employees and not lie to customers to just raise their commission. Have them to put the customers needs first.

3. "Small company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The size of the company made it very transparent all the way to the top. If you needed something, you went to the source to get it which I loved.

Cons

Because of the size of the company there were definitely some issues simply because the infrastructure of the company isn't as developed as a larger powerhouse company. I don't think that I can fault the company for something that they don't necessarily control, but it is something nonetheless.

4. "Great products and a great staff family environment."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet new and sometimes good people that you will learn a lot from. If employed in the right location pay is good 4%. 50% off everything including sales. 70% off featured items limited 1 to 2, average promotion rate to move up in the company.

Cons

Long hours, work about of holidays. Staff might try to steal your sales since it's mainly commission based at all postings with different
    base payment. Dry months with slow sales that suck. Employee discount works on a discount dollar limit so you can run out of you over spend.

Advice to Management

Up base and commission for deserving employees.

5. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Productive and very comfortable work environment, great staff, treats employees excellent, push one tof best of ability, and great pay

Cons

Nut much to say just wished overtime pay was a little different

Advice to Management

Thank you honestly one of the best teams I've worked for included regional and higher up managers!

6. "ASM"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commission based so on busy day earn OK money

Cons

Overall not well compensated, expect a lot but give very little.

Advice to Management

Pay valued employees better

"They'll screw you....."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality merchandise. Decent health insurance & vacation pay.
    Great home office merchandising support.

Cons

They don't care about their people. It's all about the numbers, no matter how you get there. So many unethical & dishonest practices go in in stores every day, but as long as your sales metrics are up there, upper management will turn a blind eye. They have no loyalty to long time employees. The regional manager I had is a poor excuse for a leader, as was my store manager. If you can talk the talk, who cares what else you do.
    Don't ever expect a raise---"you create your own raise" is what you will hear. If your center is closed because of weather, you're getting screwed then too without pay. Sick days? Yeah those get paid at 60% of your average pay. This can be a good job for sales associates in higher volume stores or for management who cares nothing about ethics. Oh & the loss prevention is pretty non-existent, so go ahead & steal too. You're unlikely to get caught. For such a large company under the Genesco name, it's a joke.

Advice to Management

Find out the reality of what goes on in your stores. Decide that legitimate, honest selling is more important than fake results.

8. "Low pay/long hours even for retail"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent health insurance, nice discount

Cons

Always bare bones staff, about 3 employees max if you are lucky. You work most shifts alone. You will be expected to work double shifts at times. I worked at an airport store and we did not have a bathroom in out store, they did not want us to lock up the store to go to the bathroom. We were not granted lunch breaks unless someone was at the store with us. I worked over 45 days without a day off at one period of time. I often worked 16 hour shifts (airport hours are different than mall hours). They consistently hired "just anybody" so we were left with bad coworkers that did not pull their own weight, did not know how to sell, task, or manage. Our district manager did not seem to have any knowledge or skills. She did not help us only diciplined us. Very low pay: $9/hr for Assistant Manager. Our commission was low because we had low traffic, so low (or nonexistent)... the store went out of business. I thought it might just be our store, but the 2 other stores in the city had all the same complaints. In addition to that, all the Genesco stores I shopped, (Journey's, Lids, Hatworld), all had the same complaints. They would often apologize for being slow because they were low on staff or they had been working 60 days in a row with many double shifts.

Advice to Management

training, training, training...be slow to hire and quick to fire. always prospect for the right employees. Increase pay and employees might be happier, work harder, and stay longer.