Johnston & Murphy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jon Caplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Clientele, comprehensive training programs and positive work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Company was very well run with GREAT product line (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Would reccomend for part time work only (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, work about of holidays (in 3 reviews)

1. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, friendly co workers, easy job.

Cons

Very sales and metrics driven. If you don’t sell your job is not secured.

2. "Great experience for dead end job, heavy favoritism. Former Assistant Manager."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, fun teams, good entry sales experience.

In the beginning you get overtime, don't get use to it.

Overall quality of product is good.

Cons

If you are not comfortable with 100% commission then stay away. That's the challenge most will have. However I learned all my selling skills here which helped me in my very successful current career today.

If you are in a struggling store it will hit your wallet. When you approach management they will say just sell more. They also flat out lie about your "income expectations" by about 25%.

Flat out lied to a single mom on her income potential, knowing she would not be able to provide for her kids!

Promotions were based on how close you are with the regional. Which can change over night.

Would reccomend for part time work only. Company knows how they run company and expect high turnover. You can make good money here but the work vs. Life balance is terrible.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees about income.
    Hold those accountable that use shady tactics to increase commission or fudge sales metrics. A single person should not be responsible for all promotions without transparency. "It's always a good day to have PRIDE"

3. "Part Time Associate"

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy part-time

Pros

employee discount, great product for every season

Cons

long hours by yourself, commission

4. "Decent company, little compensation"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Something new everyday. You can meet new people. Benefits are great. 50% off products at J&M. Each month they give you select items you can receive 70% off. 40% off other Genesco companies. They do pay well for travel expenses when needed to cover for another store.

Cons

Pay is minimal. Promised a raise since 2016 but still hasn't happened. Not paid for transferring to a new location. No pay increase for moving to new location either. Only time you make a decent amount of money is the end of November till about February. And you're typically working with maybe one day off a week during that time. Rest of the year you really need another source of income.

"This is a great company to work for, if you enjoy retail"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great career for those who enjoy sales and customer service. This company really cares about its employees.

Cons

This company doesn't offer yearly salary increases due to the fact that they pay for commission. Meaning one must increase sales in order to receive a pay increase.

6. "Frustrating"

Pros

Commission is great from about halfway thru December until February or March

Cons

Zero quality JM products at an affordable price, the only shoes they make worth wearing are $399. Thusly, affordably priced JM products are distinctly LACKING in both quality and style, to an abhorrent degree. They're really great shoes, but only if you happen to be a dull, pathetic old man who just plain don't care about anything anymore.

Advice to Management

Pay your retail staff what they're worth, you're going to be rewarded with lots more happy customers if you do so and continue to. You clearly have a bad assessment system for evaluating talent, as i see top notch salespeople move on to other companies quickly, while problematic or otherwise lackluster employees remain for extended periods, at all levels of the company. Additionally, particularly for stores residing in flyover country, JM must remain aware at all times that in those stores, they're attempting to sell fashion to self-proclaimed and affirmed 'conservatives' and 'simple folk' who have money, yet sorely lack class and sophistication, as such they want nothing to do with spending money on their personal style, or even looking nice (I wouldn't have believed it either, but I've seen and heard it first-hand from Indiana JM 'customers' for years now). Similarly, certain Midwestern managers make me and fellow co-workers uncomfortable, as a quick browse of their Facebook profile revealed strong Alt-Right allegiance, which I find EXTREME and OFFENSIVE. And finally, LISTEN to and SUPPORT your retail staff like you've never before in your life, and do it OFTEN... you will be surprised what you learn.

7. "not for me"

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time

Pros

great if traffic is strong money can and will be made

Cons

commision based... if traffic is down and sales are down your money is down

"Terrible Upper Management, the company is a joke"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product with an even better discount program. They give you a lot of freedom with assisting angry customers (discount offers, shoe replacements, repairs, etc)

Cons

Honestly too many to list... never seen a company (especially one this old) ran so incredibly poorly. With almost every company in the world... they want you to make them money, Johnston and murphy on the other hand? No. They literally couldn't care less about your sales. You literally are fired or praised on "selling metrics" the largest one being UPT. They don't hold you to a standard goal either, it changes every week depending on the current average. Typically around a 3, which anyone that has ever worked high end retail knows that's quite steep to have a solid average each week of 3 items in every transaction. This is because the regional managers have an imaginary contest with each other to be number one in the company based on these selling metrics, and will literally fire anyone that isn't helping. In the last 3 months alone I have seen 7 employees fired because the regional would get a better UPT rating without them (even though 3 of the employees were top salesman and 1 was even the #1 sales person in the entire east coast for Johnston and murphy). If I had a 10 UPT for the month but $300 in sales you are actually rewarded, but if you have 30,000 in sales but a 2.0 UPT they threaten to fire you (I have been on both sides of that spectrum). This is the only company out there that will basically reward you for ignoring a customer's needs to preserve your selling metrics instead of making sure every customer walks out with their happy and with their product.

Advice to Management

Quit playing games with your employees and just let us do our jobs properly.

9. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Clientele, comprehensive training programs and positive work environment

Cons

Hard to obtain promotions once at Store Manager Position

10. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Johnston & Murphy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are the best reason to work here. Every month they give a newsletter which offers up to 70% off different selected items every month, and then a blanket 50% off everything else. Only problem is they use a Discount Dollars program which means that if you run out of these "discount dollars". You don't get any percentage off.

Cons

Over all they want everything in the world from you, but they don't want to pay you nearly enough to do it. I was one of the top salesman in my region for 2 years and I got a pat on the back.

Advice to Management

Incentivize. You want more and more from your employees but you don't want to spend a dime to make a dollar.